Diana. Where were you?

Flybhoy

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in London during all that nonsense.

The place collectively lost its fucking mind for a week. I had a friend who worked in Westminster who was stepping over people in sleeping bags on the Wednesday before the funeral- people camping out for a "good view" of the funeral cortege and associated personalities- and my friend was made to feel the freak for going to work normally.

I was studying in London and working in a bar. Many of my pub colleagues were cringing royalist sycophants who talked loudy for most of the week about going to watch the action on a big screen in Hyde Park. Myself and another Scottish guy I worked with were made to feel as though we'd coiled out a massive steamer in the ice bucket for voicing the opinion that we really could not care less.

I spent most of the funeral laughing at Elton John and the brittle pomposity of the whole thing, and being viscerally angry at Craig Brown and Jim Farry being made vilains of the piece for, well, wanting to get on with life as normal with that game against Belarus, whilst the media down south virtually accused them of treason for not caring. As the Absolute Game once said, when you end up on the side of Jim Farry, satire truly is dead.

A very bizarre week indeed where Britain really wobbled visibly for the first time in my lifetime.

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was 14 at the time and the hormones were all over the place and I remember being genuinely afraid for my life and on the verge of tears about it. I was a very anxious teenager and I still suffer from anxiety to this day, I'm suffering from it right now in fact and it's partially down to 9/11 but nothing to do with Dianna who I don't care about.

Just get behind your girlfriend every time you see a van and you'll be fine. Is it hot out there?

Just get behind your girlfriend every time you see a van and you'll be fine. Is it hot out there?

About 33 every day at hottest, a few weeks back it was closer to 40 so I'm glad it's cooled off a bit! I find it ok but my Mrs is struggling a bit and has gone home for a nap for a few hours each night. Going to florence in an hour.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

And it seems to me you lived your life 
like a candle in the wind: 
never fading with the sunset 
when the rain set in. 
And your footsteps will always fall here, 
among England's greenest hills; 
your candle's burned out long before 
your legend ever will.

Reveal hidden contents

sad reactions aww unimpressed sarcastic GIF

I remember a news report from that week - that single was recorded early in the week, pressed and released on the Friday, i think.  The news report showed an HMV store at opening - there were people waiting for the shutters to come up, they ducked underneath them and rushed into the shop.  When they reached the shelves, people were literally grabbing as many copies as they could carry - one woman had an armful of singles, must've been about fifty copies, she was sweeping them off the shelf.

Do these people have a 100 copies of the CD single in their garage or something?  Where are they all?  Did they take them to the second hand record shop with their copy of Be Here Now?

I was the driver that day! It's all a cover up!!!

They stayed in my gaff for about 6 months. The smell was horrific. Wife told to get that cheep poom out the house!.

I called Rupert, most of you peasants, know him as Mr Waxwell. 

They are now on their second world tour. We have Whatsapp chap group, I usually ignore but she does have some great photo to share.

Rule Britannia 

2 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I was the driver that day! It's all a cover up!!!

They stayed in my gaff for about 6 months. The smell was horrific. Wife told to get that cheep poom out the house!.

I called Rupert, most of you peasants, know him as Mr Waxwell. 

They are now on their second world tour. We have Whatsapp chap group, I usually ignore but she does have some great photo to share.

Rule Britannia 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I do remember that morning.  The mother in law (RIP) was staying over in the flat we were staying at.  She wandered into the kitchen greeting and I did the caring potential son in law "oh are you ok, whats the matter" type shite.

"Princess Di is dead" she says.

"Aw", hug hug (thinking Oh Dear, How Sad, Never Mind)

I then told the missus Im away out for the day (was studying at the time so had to go in to the lab on the Sunday) to meet Ahmed (fellow student, non terrorist).

We were both apoplectic with rage when we got into the lab and the fucking radio stations were completely fucked up with shitey sorrowful music because of the attention seeking bint. 

Utter lies in the second quote. This guy has never studied, and if ever not it the fucking morning. 

10 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Utter lies in the second quote. This guy has never studied, and if ever not it the fucking morning. 

Day 1. Mix together cement, gravel and sand. Add water to suit.

Day 2. Go to pub.

Repeat Day 2 for 3 years.

I'd just moved into my first flat, in fact it was the first night I'd slept there.  Woken up by the radio alarm and thought it had been adjusted in the flitting, I couldn't imagine that the somber music was actually playing on Radio 1.  Then the news came on.

Was due to go to a Killie game that lunchtime and it was postponed. I was beelin'

We had tickets to a Teenage Fanclub gig in Edinburgh that night so frantically managed to get hold of the venue to find out if the gig was still happening.

"Aye, why wouldn't it be?" came the response. Gotta love them Fannies :)

I was coming back from the Runrig concert at Stirling Castle that night and heard on the News that she'd been involved in a car crash. "She doesn't have much luck" I said to myself. Woke up the next morning and heard she was broon breid.

Later I walked down to Holyrood Palace and gaped at all the flowers laid in the courtyard. I felt like Che in the opening scene of Evita when he sings "Oh what a circus". I didn't think Diana really had any time for Scotland so I thought it was all daft.  I do remember getting annoyed at the English press for saying that Brenda should immediately return to London from Balmoral- "she's Queen of Scots too you twats" I thought (even though I'm a republican).

On the day of the funeral I went for a walk in the Pentlands with my then bird to escape all the shite. Funnily enough there was a lot of other folk there too, bourgeois Edinburgh types you would have thought would have been glued to the TV. Came back home and Ma said "Earl Spencer really stuck it to the Royals in a speech". I suppose that was the most amusing part of it all.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Day 1. Mix together cement, gravel and sand. Add water to suit.

Day 2. Go to pub.

Repeat Day 2 for 3 years.

Careful. He'll put your head in the cube crusher!

All the folk lining the streets and greeting and generally being ghoulish grievers should have all been executed on the spot.

When the queen goes (old hoor), there should be gunmen all around to mow down the sycophantic wailing types. And hopefully no football games get postponed.

I'm surprised he wasn't a passenger in the car and dived out the boot just in time to see it engulf in flames. He then swam the English Channel and watched a Celtic game ( won 2-0 lol ) before playing a gig with the remaining Beatles on top of a mountain and picking Jayne Middlemiss up in Fubar before riding her up the arse behind his Grans bit.

Really wish I could give this more than one greeny.

I was 6 years old, so no hangover to deal with.

My mum sat me in front of the telly and made me watch the news, explaining to me who Diana was and why we should be sad.

My dad said he had to walk away laughing when I looked at my mum with a straight face and asked to watch cartoons halfway through this lecture.

Archived