Diana. Where were you?

Flybhoy

No, it was Aberdeen Man Lost At Sea in the Press and Journal, and that's a myth too, never happened. The Titanic is now a Chinese submarine base btw.

Correcting someone then admitting the correction is a myth. [emoji19]

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Me and Mrs CDH had been out at Robinson's bar in Belfast ,had a cracking  night , hungover to f**k next morning,came on the radio about Diana's death , both too hungover to care.

Similarly, I was in Belfast at the Empire on Botanic Avenue. Told this story before, but my taxi driver informed me of the news and was so cut-up he didn't charge me for the ride home. Great result. 

I'd have been in my early teens. We'd just arrived at church and the caretaker had the telly on in her wee office. I don't recall giving much of a toss about it at the time, though I picked up the sense that it was supposed to be some big earth-changing event.

8 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

I was in bed with a hangover. The (ex)wife came in with a cup of coffee & told me that "Princess Anne is dead"

Not her finest moment.

Bit harsh to divorce her for what was probably a slip of the tongue. (Insert Sid James photo here.)

I'm afraid that radio stations actually have a list of music they have to play when a 'royal' dies. It's all sombre shit. Found this out when getting some training for hospital radio (they had a special playlist set up for such an occasion).

When the queen dies radio will be unbearable, but TV will be worse, with pretty much everything cancelled for wall to wall coverage.

Football games will be cancelled, and we'll all be expected to be good little subjects and have a minute's silence at the first one back. Would you boo during this silence?

10 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

My mother told me that Diana had died...she must have been well connected with the Grim Reaper as she had also been the person who first told me of the deaths of President Kennedy and John Lennon.

I didn't care. I played my then usual Sunday Morning game of golf with two friends, all of us middle class & middle aged. It was the sixth hole before we even mentioned the subject and that was when one of my friends asked about the live Italian Football game on Channel 4 that afternoon. I jokingly said that all TV programmes would be cancelled...little did I realise!

It was a week of compulsory mourning with grief junkies on overdose. I realised that I had a massive disconnect with huge sections of mainstream public opinion, particularly female & English...and Rangers too as their players inexplicably were too grief-stricken to play for Scotland.

I remember the relief when after several days of sycophantic media guff about Saint Diana, the Herald bravely published a column by Tom Shields. The gist of it was that while the death of a mother with young children was tragic, Diana was not a person who he admired or was particularly interested in and he found the overblown nature of the media coverage quite nauseating. The Column captured the feelings of a large number of otherwise disenfranchised people, myself included and the Herald's Letters Page for the following days was overwhelmingly supportive rather than calling for a beheading for treasonous thoughts.

Is it possible your mother holds the secret job title Assassin Co-ordinator for the Illuminati,

and in fact arranged all these events.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm afraid that radio stations actually have a list of music they have to play when a 'royal' dies. It's all sombre shit. Found this out when getting some training for hospital radio (they had a special playlist set up for such an occasion).

When the queen dies radio will be unbearable, but TV will be worse, with pretty much everything cancelled for wall to wall coverage.

Football games will be cancelled, and we'll all be expected to be good little subjects and have a minute's silence at the first one back. Would you boo during this silence?

As long as they don't cancel the ability to download box sets on Sky/Netflix we will survive it.

As long as they don't cancel the ability to download box sets on Sky/Netflix we will survive it.

Probably have a message scrawling across the bottom requesting we change to a news channel as soon as possible.

Pretty much spot on.

This article gives the whole scenario. Make a coffee and read it, then start putting money away so you can get out the country for a week or two when it all goes down.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Nope, not unless I wanted my c**t kicked in.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Was the significance of Diana dying marked not with a minute's silence or two minutes but three minutes? 

I seem to have some recollection as using that as a timer for boiling an egg. I was fairly indifferent to it all. 

The UK went collectively mad for a week. It was an incredible and disturbing time in equal measure. Acknowledging that two children losing their mother at a young age is sad the outpouring of grief I wouldn't have believed had I not actually encountered it. 

I remember worrying that it might have an impact of the devolution campaign. If it did it was only in a positive way. My Aunt, pretty royalist and unionist, changed her votes from No/No to Yes/Yes on the strength of being annoyed that the Queen's presence in London 'with her people' was being demanded while she was holed up in Balmoral. 

I remember watching a programme about the funeral a few months/years later and they focused on some of the most cretinous individuals possible who had lined the route. One was babbling with excitement at having managed to capture all the important footage. It was the first signs of society's need to record everything. The irony of people who complained about how she had been hounded by the press during her life filming of her body being moved the day before the funeral and of filming the actual funeral was lost on them. 

Clapping a hearse :lol:

Anyway, absolute fucking insanity that makes me sick and pretty angry. All of these absolute scum need a huge big punch in the puss at the very least. Cretins, utter cretins. Servile, toadying, stupid, vile, boot-licking, vapid, empty, ugly, vacant, fake, phoney, abject, fawning, ignorant, submissive, craven, cringey c***s.

I despise them all.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Clapping a hearse :lol:

Anyway, absolute fucking insanity that makes me sick and pretty angry. All of these absolute scum need a huge big punch in the puss at the very least. Cretins, utter cretins. Servile, toadying, stupid, vile, boot-licking, vapid, empty, ugly, vacant, fake, phoney, abject, fawning, ignorant, submissive, craven, cringey c***s.

I despise them all.

Live and let live though, eh?

Someone was telling me the other day that they believe she was assassinated, it got me wondering whether that was the stupidest of all the mainstream conspiracy theories. I think 9/11 and the moon landing run it close, but 'Royal family engineered death by drunk driver whilst not wearing seatbelt as a result of being pursued by paparazzi' would take some beating. 

Archived