Diana. Where were you?

Flybhoy

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was ill. I'd slept all day, got up and watched it unfold. The gradually worsening updates pointed me quite early to the eventual outcome. The same thing has happened with a few other big news stories, ie my minor ailments seem to lead to catastrophic events elsewhere. The first one I remember was when Robert Mone escaped from Carstairs and did some murdering. Michael Jackson croaking was another.

4 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Folk forget how big a news story it was at the time. Really big news, even made all the papers.

Yeah most people seemed to have heard of it. Really tragic turn of events. Mental that the captain didn't see such a huge iceberg tbh. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Yeah most people seemed to have heard of it. Really tragic turn of events. Mental that the captain didn't see such a huge iceberg tbh. 

I believe that was the story that inspired the Dundee Courier headline :

Dundee Man Lost At Sea.

I remember being up late watching telly and whatever i was watching being interrupted with the news, literally not giving the slightest f**k and going to sleep. She was a snooty burd who liked her hole and for some reason was revered like a saint because she had a pretty decent fella handle her PR. I don't for one second believe she gave the slightest of fucks about those same people.

My mother told me that Diana had died...she must have been well connected with the Grim Reaper as she had also been the person who first told me of the deaths of President Kennedy and John Lennon.

I didn't care. I played my then usual Sunday Morning game of golf with two friends, all of us middle class & middle aged. It was the sixth hole before we even mentioned the subject and that was when one of my friends asked about the live Italian Football game on Channel 4 that afternoon. I jokingly said that all TV programmes would be cancelled...little did I realise!

It was a week of compulsory mourning with grief junkies on overdose. I realised that I had a massive disconnect with huge sections of mainstream public opinion, particularly female & English...and Rangers too as their players inexplicably were too grief-stricken to play for Scotland.

I remember the relief when after several days of sycophantic media guff about Saint Diana, the Herald bravely published a column by Tom Shields. The gist of it was that while the death of a mother with young children was tragic, Diana was not a person who he admired or was particularly interested in and he found the overblown nature of the media coverage quite nauseating. The Column captured the feelings of a large number of otherwise disenfranchised people, myself included and the Herald's Letters Page for the following days was overwhelmingly supportive rather than calling for a beheading for treasonous thoughts.

Is this what it's come to ? A thread about what we were doing when Diana died ?

Sooner a team goes into admin and liquidation is a possibility the better. Get P&B back on track.

Can't believe this shite.

19 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

My mother told me that Diana had died...she must have been well connected with the Grim Reaper as she had also been the person who first told me of the deaths of President Kennedy and John Lennon.

I didn't care. I played my then usual Sunday Morning game of golf with two friends, all of us middle class & middle aged. It was the sixth hole before we even mentioned the subject and that was when one of my friends asked about the live Italian Football game on Channel 4 that afternoon. I jokingly said that all TV programmes would be cancelled...little did I realise!

It was a week of compulsory mourning with grief junkies on overdose. I realised that I had a massive disconnect with huge sections of mainstream public opinion, particularly female & English...and Rangers too as their players inexplicably were too grief-stricken to play for Scotland.

I remember the relief when after several days of sycophantic media guff about Saint Diana, the Herald bravely published a column by Tom Shields. The gist of it was that while the death of a mother with young children was tragic, Diana was not a person who he admired or was particularly interested in and he found the overblown nature of the media coverage quite nauseating. The Column captured the feelings of a large number of otherwise disenfranchised people, myself included and the Herald's Letters Page for the following days was overwhelmingly supportive rather than calling for a beheading for treasonous thoughts.

Wouldn't see that these days, he would be brow beaten and forced into issuing a retraction and public apology before being fired and his career buried, for daring to have his own opinion. I am dreading the death of either Phillip(tho i want it to be this year for the dead pool) Charles or The Queen because its all we are gonna hear for the rest of our lives. Fucking Diana has been dead 20 years and they still prattle on about her.

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I believe that was the story that inspired the Dundee Courier headline :

Dundee Man Lost At Sea.

No, it was Aberdeen Man Lost At Sea in the Press and Journal, and that's a myth too, never happened. The Titanic is now a Chinese submarine base btw.

I remember they cancelled my football game that weekend as a tribute to Diana.

I'm sure cancelling Fife's under 11 football was met with plaudits from around the world. I had no idea who she was and I seem to recall Soccer AM was very solemn that Saturday morning.

10 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Funny how memory works. I was at the Teenage Fanclub gig you write of (it was bloody good but too hot inside that wee ckub), and had always remembered of learning from a taxi driver on way home of the accident and then waking to find she'd died.

Also remember U2 at Murrayfield that week and a photo of the crowd in Daily Mail along lines of "how dare these people party while our princess lies on a cold slab" etc.

It was feckin roasting in that club, the most uncomfortable I've ever felt at a gig. I had to run to the bog to spew at the end due to the heat but nothing came out.

I was at the U2 gig too funnily enough. Diana grief fatigue had well and truly set in by then, my memory is of Bono singing a hushed MLK and a big picture of Di appeared on the screen. "Aw for f**k's sake!" went a guy behind me very loudly :lol:

How desperate must your own life be to grieve for a society tart who wouldn't have given a monkey's chuff whether you lived or died?

Diana was a vapid, air-headed attention whore who played the media with a skill not seen until Kim Kardashian. She didn't do or say a damn thing that wasn't carefully calculated to present herself in a favourable light. When the cameras were off; she was a prize bitch.

Anyway; today's Diana trivia - Between 1981 and 1994 that c**t spent more than £1,5 million for 3, 000 outfits and 600 pairs of shoes. Let that sink in. 3 thousand outfits.

But oh, she shook the hand of a sick person - she's a saint! Gawd bless 'er.

I remember Off the Ball almost got cancelled indefinitely after Tam Cowan's joke. Annoyed at the cancellation of the Scottish football fixtures, he suggested that the games should go ahead but the players show a mark of respect by barging each other into the wall as they run out of the tunnel.[emoji23]

6 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

I remember they cancelled my football game that weekend as a tribute to Diana.

I'm sure cancelling Fife's under 11 football was met with plaudits from around the world. I had no idea who she was and I seem to recall Soccer AM was very solemn that Saturday morning.

Why was that then? Somebody famous/important die that day too?

It was feckin roasting in that club, the most uncomfortable I've ever felt at a gig. I had to run to the bog to spew at the end due to the heat but nothing came out.
I was at the U2 gig too funnily enough. Diana grief fatigue had well and truly set in by then, my memory is of Bono singing a hushed MLK and a big picture of Di appeared on the screen. "Aw for f**k's sake!" went a guy behind me very loudly [emoji38]

I was also at the U2 gig. My old man had woken me up to tell me about Diana and my first thought was that they better not cancel the concert.

I remember Off the Ball almost got cancelled indefinitely after Tam Cowan's joke. Annoyed at the cancellation of the Scottish football fixtures, he suggested that the games should go ahead but the players show a mark of respect by barging each other into the wall as they run out of the tunnel.[emoji23]

Traynor's phone-in was replaced by somber music the Saturday night the queen mum croaked

Archived