Diana. Where were you?

Flybhoy

It's always amazing that no-one remembers taking part in the grieving, flower-laying, condolence book signing.  I remember it and there were literally millions of people doing that.  What happened?

This Grauniad article from ten years ago is good on this - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/aug/13/britishidentity.monarchy

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came home half-cut that night - much like Henri Paul except I made it home - stuck in a film (VHS back then) and did that usual thing of falling asleep on the couch ten minutes in. Woke up at some point and went through to bed - after the film had ended it had obviously defaulted back to a TV channel that was doing rolling coverage.

Half-pished and half-asleep it hadn't consciously registered, but I woke up the next morning thinking I'd had a right weird dream about it. Went through, switched on the TV - okay, so that actually happened...

As for the funeral, I remember that well as a mate of mine had the cracking idea of finding a pub with no TV so we could avoid the whole thing...his missus wanted to wallow in the day-long Di-fest '97. We spent the day in the Ubiquitous Chip in the West End where we ran into the actor James Cosmo who was doing exactly the same thing we were.

Was woken up, hungover on my mate's sofa by his mum bursting in yelling "Diana's dead, Diana's dead".

"Diana who??" I enquired.

Then came all the pish. No tv, no radio, shops shut. An utter fuckin embarrassment of grief junkies everywhere.

My major concern was hoping I'd not be volunteered for some parade in the coming weeks. Luckily I avoided that too.

I remember the class joker in my p7 class came out with a joke not long after the tragedy:

Why was Dodi Al Fayeds willie red green and blue? Because he was dipping it in Di just before the crash.

The teacher ended up storming out the room crying.

I was 8, got up to watch Cartoon Network, and a breaking news scroll bar kept coming across the screen saying to change the TV over to a news channel. Now this was not what I wanted to see when watching the Powerpuff girls, so ignored it for a while before getting utterly fucked off and shouting for my Mum who came through, put the news on, before turning it back to the cartoons for me. Remember sod all apart from that.  

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

It's always amazing that no-one remembers taking part in the grieving, flower-laying, condolence book signing.  I remember it and there were literally millions of people doing that.  What happened?

This Grauniad article from ten years ago is good on this - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/aug/13/britishidentity.monarchy

I remember clearly not giving a f**k about it, as did most people I knew. 

Was drunk in Aberdeen ( to be fair this covers most of 1996 - 2005 ),

Was at a stagger, and got home totally Henri Pauled out my face,

Spent most of the Sunday on the sofa changing channels looking for anything not showing the news, as my head probably hurt as much as her's did for the 30seconds she lived between smacking her stupid smug face off the seat in front, which wouldn't have happened if she had a seat belt on, and gasping her last narcissistic breath.

The wedding, for the stag do attended, was the next week and the party was the night of the Scotland game they cancelled.

We were going to watch before the do, and they cancelled it for her - selfish cow.

You think?

Considering the hysteria from the media was about the same for the death of Diana as it was for 3000 Americans that were murdered in a terror attack then I think it's still a valid point to make.

Just now, throbber said:

Considering the hysteria from the media was about the same for the death of Diana as it was for 3000 Americans that were murdered in a terror attack then I think it's still a valid point to make.

Your argument was going well until the bit I highlighted.

In bed with my then wife when the news came through, damned inconvenient as things were warming up nicely lol. Avoided the funeral coverage like the plague & as has been mentioned before, all that f**ckin vicarious grief shit, it's been the same ever since.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

I was 10 and remember waking up in the morning like any other Sunday although my mother was quite clearly playing her tv overly loudly in her room and I remember hearing the words come through that Dianna had died. I felt indifferent then and I still couldn't care less about it all 20 years later, it just showed what a country of pathetic grief junkies we are.

Ayew but it wasn't the last time you got your hole so have a bit of empathy for flybhoy

They set their standards too high with 9/11, the news. 

I was 14 at the time and the hormones were all over the place and I remember being genuinely afraid for my life and on the verge of tears about it. I was a very anxious teenager and I still suffer from anxiety to this day, I'm suffering from it right now in fact and it's partially down to 9/11 but nothing to do with Dianna who I don't care about.

I can mind an interview with writer Irvine Welsh, when he recalled hearing the news that Diana had died in a Paris car crash along with Dodi.

His first thought was - What was Alex "Dodi" McDonald (then Jambos boss) doing in Paris, in a car with Princess Diana?

Archived