Thistle v Aberdeen, Saturday 26th August

Result?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bob Mahelp

Last few seasons Firhill has been good to us. 

We're still nowhere near hitting top form, but I think we'll have enough for Thistle next week. 

2-0 Dons.

Yesterday showed up the glaring problems in our squad imo, in the form of Reynolds, Considine, and trying to shoehorn Tansey, Shinnie, McLean, and Christie into centre midfield. The sooner Arnason gets match fit the better.

Having said that, I'd be confident enough that our second string team should be beating a good few teams in the league. In my opinion our strongest 11 (when match fit) is:

Lewis

Logan Arnason O'Connor Shinnie

Tansey McLean

Stewart Christie Mackay-Steven

May

That would leave:

Rogers

Harvie McKenna Reynolds Considine

Storie Campbell

Wright Maynard Ross

Rooney

Bit heavy on the kids, but enough to scud a few past Partick imo. We really need another defender though, if Shay gets injured or suspended we're going to suffer.

Taking the Bairns to their first away game. Thought that Glasgow's premier football team would be a good start.

Normally go by car or bus, but will be on the choo choo for this.

Jags fans, what's the best way to get there from Queens St? Taxi expensive? Any good child/dons friendly pubs near (quality parent)?

Subway from Buchanan St (attached to queen st) to St George's Cross might be cheapest. 10-15 minute walk from there, probably 15 with kids. I'd guess a taxi would be about a tenner.

The bar in the ground (located in main stand) lets away fans in and also kids but the wait to get served can be horrendous. The Woodside on Maryhill Road also lets away fans and kids in but can get very busy when a team with a decent support comes through.

As for the game, I suspect this'll be another "play well enough without deserving anything" effort, 2-1 defeat with Storey getting a late consolation for us.

Though if I see Ryan Edwards is at right back like the last time Aberdeen came to Firhill I'm backing Aberdeen -3 again.

1 hour ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Taking the Bairns to their first away game. Thought that Glasgow's premier football team would be a good start.

Normally go by car or bus, but will be on the choo choo for this.

Jags fans, what's the best way to get there from Queens St? Taxi expensive? Any good child/dons friendly pubs near (quality parent)?

Get the subway to either St George's Cross or Kelvinbridge and choose one of the many bars on Great Western Rd. Off the top of my head Cooper's and Munro's are pretty civilised places serving food so I'd imagine they're child friendly during the day. 15 min walk or cheap taxi from there.

We need to bring a much better level of performance in this one than Saturday.

Would like to see Stewart start as I felt he changed the game against Dundee.

12/12 going into the break would be excellent considering we haven't started to play yet.

Miles Storey for a token "come back to haunt us goal" in a 2-1 win for the Dons.

This is the game I'm missing this season. Have headed down to Liverpool for Beatleweek (don't judge) each of the last 5 years and miss a game. Each of the last 4 years it's been a bloody home game. Can't they give us Ross County away the weekend I can't go? 

Anyway, I'll pretend I'm not going to pay any attention to events in Maryhill until full-time but will spend the time between 3pm and 4:45pm refreshing every source possible and then try to convince myself I'm not bothered by the 2-0 defeat!  

We need to bring a much better level of performance in this one than Saturday.

Would like to see Stewart start as I felt he changed the game against Dundee.

12/12 going into the break would be excellent considering we haven't started to play yet.

Miles Storey for a token "come back to haunt us goal" in a 2-1 win for the Dons.

Agree with this - it felt disjointed on Saturday and the balance in the midfield especially isn't there yet.

I like Tansey but I'd like him even more if he held his position. We were wide open between the defence and midfield at the weekend although in his defence I've never been convinced he's a like for like replacement for rat.

2-1 us

Archived