St Mirren v Arabs

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, alang1993 said:

I was in the hospitality that day: think Marian Kello had just extended his contract on the morning of the game, and was awarded 'Player of the Match' in the stand afterwards. 

Probably going to go to the match again this Saturday, both sides appear to have had their moments so far this season, good and bad, so I expect goals.

We should absolutely crush this complete non entity of a west coast club ;)

But in all seriousness this is the sort of game we should be winning if we want to get out of this league this season. To be fair, Saints will be saying the same thing.

I seriously doubt we will win this. Utterly stinking vs Brechin and Mckinnon is a shambles.

2 - 0 Saints.

I would seriously love to be wrong.

8 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

But in all seriousness this is the sort of game we should be winning if we want to get out of this league this season. To be fair, Saints will be saying the same thing.

I seriously doubt we will win this. Utterly stinking vs Brechin and Mckinnon is a shambles.

2 - 0 Saints.

The Lex of Dundee

"Keats has come back too early"

McKinnon is a bit contradictory, right enough. We were all surprised when Keatings returned so quickly, with the club reporting he'd be out for up to six weeks.

Back he comes, playing with an injury, 2 and a half weeks later. Precisely a month from the date of his Buckie mishap, he's substituted with an ankle described by McKinnon to be the size of a 'balloon'.

But he'll be on the bench this weekend, to quote RMcK, "in case we need a goal or something".

2 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

"Keats has come back too early"

McKinnon is a bit contradictory, right enough. We were all surprised when Keatings returned so quickly, with the club reporting he'd be out for up to six weeks.

Back he comes, playing with an injury, 2 and a half weeks later. Precisely a month from the date of his Buckie mishap, he's substituted with an ankle described by McKinnon to be the size of a 'balloon'.

But he'll be on the bench this weekend, to quote RMcK, "in case we need a goal or something".

That's crazy from McKinnon,no matter how important a player he is,there's no sense in bringing a player back too early.

we have few still out and I would be pissed off if Jack did that.

Also it doesn't say a lot about his confidence in others

Now that we have McDonald, we dont need to rush Keatings.  If he needs a couple of weeks to recover, let him have it.  Play one up front, Fraser/Stanton in behind and McMullan and King on the wings.

Stanton/Briels and Fyvie starting in the middle.  N'Koyi on the bench as a super sub.  Back four of Murdoch, Durnan, Quinn and Robson.

Should be a good game this, bit of a test of how good both teams are this season. A Dundee Utd win would be a big statement 4 wins out of 4, a St Mirren win and we'd be level with Utd and need to be taken seriously as promotion/title contenders.

Hopefully we can keep 11 men on the park for a change, I predict a similar game to our last meeting at St Mirren park.. lots of goals but a tight game. 3-2 Saints, Reilly, Morgan and Stelios. McDonald double for the visitors.

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

That's a bit cryptic for me?!?!?
The greatest ever production duo in rock will have gone over the youngsters heads.

Love Is In The Air > When The Saints Go Marching In.

:P

28 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Now that we have McDonald, we dont need to rush Keatings.  If he needs a couple of weeks to recover, let him have it.  Play one up front, Fraser/Stanton in behind and McMullan and King on the wings.

Stanton/Briels and Fyvie starting in the middle.  N'Koyi on the bench as a super sub.  Back four of Murdoch, Durnan, Quinn and Robson.

Pretty much spot on.

Briels, Fraser and Keatings all injury doubts but your line up still works*.

* Edit with Flood in beside Fyvie.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

2 - 0 Saints.

Always feel United can pull something extra out the bag going by last season's final and our last game at your ground. At least our games are entertaining as both teams want to win rather than one team playing 11 men in their own half counter attacking which is hard to play against. Really looking forward to seeing where Saints are as this will be a good test. Tickets are selling well so should be a good atmosphere. 

I'm going to be honest, the team I most "fear" in this league is United. We've not got a great historical record against them in this division, and the players they brought in during the summer look to be quality; McDonald, Fyvie, Keatings, Scobbie, King, etc.. and all these on top of an already fairly solid squad.

As we seem to be fluctuating between dreadful and brilliant, and this week is pencilled in as "dreadful", I am hoping that the home advantage coupled with United's slow start (just scraping past Brechin for example) will result in us managing maybe a draw. A win would be unexpected but not entirely improbable, a loss would not be a surprise.

Good to see Buchanan having a good game at Livi, he's been pretty poor for us so far but always felt he had more in him (esp considering how he played with Dumbarton last season). Irvine will be out and we'll have Baird back after suspension. It's all about the defence just now, as while the midfield is not settling down quite as we'd all want it to, that is secondary if the defence is sitting solid.

All in all? It's important for us to lay down a marker of intent for the season to come. Whether we will is a different matter.

Out of interest what is the time period for Davis? Not that I see him as a panacea, nor do I think he'll hit the ground running, but he's certainly someone who we need to get playing.

3 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'm going to be honest, the team I most "fear" in this league is United. We've not got a great historical record against them in this division, and the players they brought in during the summer look to be quality; McDonald, Fyvie, Keatings, Scobbie, King, etc.. and all these on top of an already fairly solid squad.

As we seem to be fluctuating between dreadful and brilliant, and this week is pencilled in as "dreadful", I am hoping that the home advantage coupled with United's slow start (just scraping past Brechin for example) will result in us managing maybe a draw. A win would be unexpected but not entirely improbable, a loss would not be a surprise.

Good to see Buchanan having a good game at Livi, he's been pretty poor for us so far but always felt he had more in him (esp considering how he played with Dumbarton last season). Irvine will be out and we'll have Baird back after suspension. It's all about the defence just now, as while the midfield is not settling down quite as we'd all want it to, that is secondary if the defence is sitting solid.

All in all? It's important for us to lay down a marker of intent for the season to come. Whether we will is a different matter.

Out of interest what is the time period for Davis? Not that I see him as a panacea, nor do I think he'll hit the ground running, but he's certainly someone who we need to get playing.

When we have Davis / Mackenzie/ Irvine all available we will have one of the best defences in the league. Magennis back in midfield will be the icing on the cake we will start flying. This game is not make or break for both teams it's the 4th game of the season. Expect both teams to score but with our pace never give up Smith and Reilly would expect us to score more goals than United giving us the three points:) 

Archived