Dumbarton vs Dunfermline Athletic

25 minutes ago, smpar said:

Tbf, that slope is pretty funny. I can't imagine it'd affect many games but I'm surprised the club hasn't been told to sort it out.

We know it needs sorted, our owners don't have a care in the world for it though - why fix this pitch when we're building a new artificial one (which if all goes to plan will have 4 stands around it btw). We've been neglecting this ground since our owners took over because it helps feed the narrative that we need to move. We really are heading for an iceberg IMO, but that's probably a debate for another time/our own thread.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The stadium faces the wrong fucking way aswell.

I could be wrong here but I think Historic Scotland (who look after the Castle) had some say in what way the stand was built. I agree that it would be good facing the other way but with the way the wind generally blows down there it could potentially make the experience even colder/wetter. It would also mean that photos such as this one wouldn't look as majestic.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the new Sons' Superdrome pitch was going to be grass, with only Astro ones outside it in our St George's Park style floodplain centre of footballing excellence?

If it's Astro it's another good reason to oppose the plans I suppose. 

I really like Dumbarton's stadium. There is a truly amazing view of the surrounding landscape which you can enjoy if the football being played is pish.  I used to live in Dumbarton and was a regular at Boghead. I also regularly left the games there before they finished. Nothing to do with the quality of the football or the score, I used to fear dying from hypothermia...When the wind blew in across the Clyde, there was zero protection for fans. I  really miss the home and away fans swapping ends at half time. A highly civilized practice, a shame that it is impractical at most grounds. 
So in summary, the Rock is a mahoosive improvement over Boghead (not withstanding the inability to swap ends any more).
P.S. any chance we can stop talking about prices etc and start talking about the game? My tuppenceworth, I have been really impressed with Dunfermline this season, so can't see past an away win. 

I respect a man who appreciates the surrounding landscape. On yersel.

8 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I thought the new Sons' Superdrome pitch was going to be grass, with only Astro ones outside it in our St George's Park style floodplain centre of footballing excellence?

If it's Astro it's another good reason to oppose the plans I suppose. 

We've been promised so many different facilities such as artificial pitches, gyms, hotels, office space, Robert the Bruce tourist centres and kayak centres that I've lost track of what we're actually getting.

On the plus side though, with all those facilities on offer we'll probably be able to charge £50 entry to any given match.

I could be wrong here but I think Historic Scotland (who look after the Castle) had some say in what way the stand was built. I agree that it would be good facing the other way but with the way the wind generally blows down there it could potentially make the experience even colder/wetter. It would also mean that photos such as this one wouldn't look as majestic.
20228249_10155496037429257_5817424417776431543_n.jpg?oh=dbb6a8f640aecf4e0a7372581d8b7e28&oe=5A60D070

That is a beautiful photo. And yes, I believe you're correct that Historic Scotland opposed/blocked (I'm not sure of the workings of such things) the idea of building the stand on the other side.

I like the view at Bayview. They've made the most of the local topography.
Methil_power_station.jpg

Such a lovely view. Sadly the power station has since been felled so it's a barer view than that now.

Just now, The Moonster said:

We've been promised so many different facilities such as artificial pitches, gyms, hotels, office space, Robert the Bruce tourist centres and kayak centres that I've lost track of what we're actually getting.

On the plus side though, with all those facilities on offer we'll probably be able to charge £50 entry to any given match.

A Robert the Bruce themed Kayak Gym built right in the middle of a blaes pitch would be quite a sight. Hopefully we do that.

6 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

That is a beautiful photo. And yes, I believe you're correct that Historic Scotland opposed/blocked (I'm not sure of the workings of such things) the idea of building the stand on the other side.

Such a lovely view. Sadly the power station has since been felled so it's a barer view than that now.

Shame. I've not been since a pre-season a few years back and was really taken with it. East End is sadly lacking in such open vistas. 

It's the one ground to which I like to turn up > 5 minutes before kickoff. Watching several cars hit by wayward shots during the warm-up is far more entertaining than it sounds. 

Not really..I got my headlight smashed a few seasons ago coming into the car park [emoji35]

31 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

Not really..I got my headlight smashed a few seasons ago coming into the car park emoji35.png

29 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Consider yourself lucky, a wayward David Winters shot smashed my Dad's windscreen a few years back!

Exactly what I'm on about. The £20 is well worth it IMO. 

2 hours ago, aftershocker said:

Not really..I got my headlight smashed a few seasons ago coming into the car park emoji35.png

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Consider yourself lucky, a wayward David Winters shot smashed my Dad's windscreen a few years back!

It matters to Digby Brown.

Going back to Dumbarton's board, if it's the same chairman as 4/5 years ago he's an arrogant, fat piss head who has car too much of the "I'm important, I'm a c**t" about him. The rest of the board seem reasonable as did Ian Murray.

12 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

There was a Hibs fan who didn't come last year because bowling clubs are shite. Not purely the Rock bowling club, just bowling clubs.

Strange thinking. A bowling club for a couple of cheap pints before the game is braw. I particularly like the Rock - very welcoming and a few minutes leisurely stroll to the ground. And a nice view of the castle on the way.

Some strange things on this thread. For me, the prices at all Scottish Championship clubs should be cheaper for the level of football we're all watching. The facilities at Dumbarton provide a seat, cover, a good view of the game, a toilet and, if needed, catering. I really don't see what else is required tbh.

Probably six survivors from the starting lineup when we visited Dumbarton in April will start on Saturday. 

GK - Murdoch
CB- Morris
CH- Ashcroft
LB - Talbot
Demi God - Nat Wedderburn
Bam - Higginbotham

All change down the right, up front and Joe "on fire" Cardle on the left. Still no Nicky Clark but it has not hampered us so far. 

Archived