Dumbarton vs Dunfermline Athletic

I reckon it would be better tbh, say Dumbarton had a 500 seater stand with three sides of terracing it would look a hell of allot better and I'm sure your own fans would enjoy the matchday experience.

Burnt toast is still better than no toast, I'd still go, however if I was in a position where I had to pick and choose my away days then the one that costs £20 for a single stand stadium would be the first one to get punted in the bin.

I reckon allot of football fans make a decision on whether to go to a game based on atmosphere, it's why derby games are such big draws. On the opposite end of that spectrum one sided stadiums are the worst for atmosphere.

Atmosphere is not something you'll really experience at a Dumbarton v Dunfermline game tbh. Whether we have 1 stand or 4 stands.

A derby match generates an atmosphere because it tends to be a local rivalry with an increased crowd. I've been part of better atmosphere's at our stadium than I have at the likes of Livi because Livingston v Dumbarton is never going to generate an atmosphere unless it's a playoff game.

Infact based on my experience I'd rather one stand 3/4 full than 4 stands over 3/4 empty. If you had been present at a match that generates some atmosphere at our place (Dundee Utd last season, Airdrie in the playoffs, the 3-2 v Hibs) then you'd realise it's really not as bad as you think.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

I might have missed something important here but what the f**k has how the English crowds in four sided stadia look on TV possibly coming into any sane thinking of whether you will attend Dumbarton v Dunfermline in the Scottish Championship? 

This is the Championship forum. Let's not sully it with sanity. 

Without hitting any great heights we've utterly butchered ICT and Falkirk. I wasn't expecting a huge amount from us this year but it's hard to pick out much that's wrong with the team. Totally different prospect on Saturday where we probably won't have the space to play the same way as at East End. 

it's hard to pick out much that's wrong with the team.

If I was being picky I'm not entirely taken with our central midfield, and if we get 1 injury in there I reckon it could impact us in a big way.

That's being very picky though.

I think I'll keep a list of all the reasons that put folk off visiting us this year, I've started below, if anyone can think of any others let me know;

£20 is too expensive
Other grounds have better parking facilities
Other grounds have better corporate and hospitality facilities
Other grounds have better food and toilets
The changing rooms aren't as nice 
Referees changing rooms aren't as good
Media and press area is small
Stewards and first aiders are of a poorer standard
It's too wet and cold
It's too far away
The ground doesn't have 4 sides
You can't see or hear the opposition fans
It's in Dumbarton (hasn't been said yet, but it would undoubtedly be the first joke after this post)
Ian Durrant (for the local Celtic fans)
Bowling clubs are shite
The pitch isn't flat

I think I'll keep a list of all the reasons that put folk off visiting us this year, I've started below, if anyone can think of any others let me know;
£20 is too expensive
It's too wet and cold
It's too far away
It's in Dumbarton (hasn't been said yet, but it would undoubtedly be the first joke after this post)

I'd like the referee changing rooms listed seperately from the players changing rooms please.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

They do have stands on all four sides and have fans sitting on three of them tbf, if you bring enough fans the railway stand gets opened which would bring it up to four.

I'm genuinely not sure, it was something I read a couple of years back, I'm not sure if it was something to do with either licensing or grading but I liked the idea of it, stadiums in England are seemingly far better proportioned and better looking, makes for a more enjoyable experience and it looks better on the T.v etc.

I reckon it would be better tbh, say Dumbarton had a 500 seater stand with three sides of terracing it would look a hell of allot better and I'm sure your own fans would enjoy the matchday experience.

Burnt toast is still better than no toast, I'd still go, however if I was in a position where I had to pick and choose my away days then the one that costs £20 for a single stand stadium would be the first one to get punted in the bin.

I reckon allot of football fans make a decision on whether to go to a game based on atmosphere, it's why derby games are such big draws. On the opposite end of that spectrum one sided stadiums are the worst for atmosphere.

Aye, might you might die of cancer...

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

If I was being picky I'm not entirely taken with our central midfield, and if we get 1 injury in there I reckon it could impact us in a big way.

That's being very picky though.

Suppose we just have to hope for the best but over the last couple of season we've been pretty fortunate with (few) injuries. IMO our midfield is brutally effective, rather than "good" in the traditional sense. Shiels and Nat just tidy stuff up. For all their nice play, Falkirk's chance/goal came from Morris being about 50 yards out of position then falling over and ICT scored from a free kick.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

£20 is too expensive
It's too wet and cold
It's too far away
Bowling clubs are shite

I was too busy furiously imagining the poor referee and assistants desperately struggling to get changed pre and post match to notice that you also only employ substandard first aiders. Generally they all have to pass the same qualifications to do it but you cheeky lot have taken the biscuit this time! 

On a serious note I think a lot of first aiders at games are actually volunteers which makes his inclusion of them, in a bizarre facilities list about value for money, even more mental and hilarious. 

I really like Dumbarton's stadium. There is a truly amazing view of the surrounding landscape which you can enjoy if the football being played is pish.  I used to live in Dumbarton and was a regular at Boghead. I also regularly left the games there before they finished. Nothing to do with the quality of the football or the score, I used to fear dying from hypothermia...When the wind blew in across the Clyde, there was zero protection for fans. I  really miss the home and away fans swapping ends at half time. A highly civilized practice, a shame that it is impractical at most grounds. 

So in summary, the Rock is a mahoosive improvement over Boghead (not withstanding the inability to swap ends any more).

P.S. any chance we can stop talking about prices etc and start talking about the game? My tuppenceworth, I have been really impressed with Dunfermline this season, so can't see past an away win. 

£20 is too expensive
It's too wet and cold
It's too far away
Bowling clubs are shite

A very impressive list so far.

The slope at the corner flag? I'm sure someone was complaining last season about it. Most likely a precious Falkirk fan going by previous moans.

It's the one ground to which I like to turn up > 5 minutes before kickoff. Watching several cars hit by wayward shots during the warm-up is far more entertaining than it sounds. 

Just now, DumbartonTheSons said:

The slope at the corner flag? I'm sure someone was complaining last season about it. Most likely a precious Falkirk fan going by previous moans.

I do have vague recollection of someone saying it was a joke that we were at this level because our pitch wasn't even flat. Onto the list it goes.

1 minute ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Tbf, that slope is pretty funny. I can't imagine it'd affect many games but I'm surprised the club hasn't been told to sort it out.

On to the game... I really hope we set up more adventurously for this one than we did at Dumfries.

We defend solidly for the most part, that's not debatable really, but as we showed in the last quarter of an hour against QOS, we can attack and cause other teams problems.

If Stevie has had an epiphany in the same vein as he seemed to after Bonnyrigg last season, we can be a match for anyone in this division and I'd include Dunfermline in that, even though they've gotten off to a cracking start this season.

If we continue as we have against Morton, Falkirk and QOS, I can't see us getting anything. Because no matter now solidly a team defends (and our back four do look pretty solid and dependable at the moment) all it then needs is to be picked off once or lose concentration at a corner and the game's a bogey.

Let's see how we set up on Saturday...

Agreed. But can it be worse or more problematic than Easter Road or Berwick?

The slope at Easter Road was fixed I'm sure.
I really like Dumbarton's stadium. There is a truly amazing view of the surrounding landscape which you can enjoy if the football being played is pish.  I used to live in Dumbarton and was a regular at Boghead. I also regularly left the games there before they finished. Nothing to do with the quality of the football or the score, I used to fear dying from hypothermia...When the wind blew in across the Clyde, there was zero protection for fans. I  really miss the home and away fans swapping ends at half time. A highly civilized practice, a shame that it is impractical at most grounds. 
So in summary, the Rock is a mahoosive improvement over Boghead (not withstanding the inability to swap ends any more).
P.S. any chance we can stop talking about prices etc and start talking about the game? My tuppenceworth, I have been really impressed with Dunfermline this season, so can't see past an away win. 

The stadium faces the wrong fucking way aswell.

Good job I'm not going on Saturday otherwise I'd spend the whole time facing the back of the stand in protest. Take that Dumbarton.

Archived