Dumbarton vs Dunfermline Athletic

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm told he was actually offered a deal at the Pars in the summer but chose ours instead. f**k knows why. 

He scored for us in a closed doors games at Cowdenbeath then signed for you in the morning. I'm not convinced it was deliberate. He probably read as far as "Du.." on the contract and just signed it. 

2 minutes ago, Alain_b said:

What injury does Nicky Clark have?

He was carrying a knock for the last couple of months of the season. Nothing major - a bit of floating bone maybe? Had and operation a couple of weeks ago and hopefully all sorted anyway. He is back training. Declan McManus and young Callum Smith look very good together anyway. 

Should be the same starting line-up for us, and if Joe keeps his form going then we should win by a couple. However, the second half against Falkirk was pretty rank so if we start like that then we'll be in trouble.

Undecided about heading along but currently thinking I won't - been to Dumbarton last 3 away games and at £20 each I'm struggling to justify it.

Just now, Alain_b said:

Cheers.

Ryan a decent signing also.

Scored two on his debut in cup game and then set up our third when he came on on Saturday. He got into a few good positions too but the players were all being greedy trying to grab the glory themselves. 

22 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We're on our longest run in this tier of Scottish football for over 30 years. We took hundreds of fans to Pittodrie for the cup game a few years ago. For a club of our size, the past few years have to be viewed as an unqualified success.

And yet the locals show no interest in coming along to a game.

I lived in Dumbarton for many years including 70s and 80 which were really good.

I would,say the past 6 years are the most consistent and best  years in their history 

All the Sons fans can do is reminisce about,6"seasons and think Christ didn't we do well

Its great credit to the players and management in recent punching above their weight.

The Board ... The less said the better. 

7 hours ago, JFPar said:

Not making this one on Saturday purely because I plan on watching Mayweather/McGregor live and if I go to the football I'll be drunk and sleeping by about half 10. It's one of the only grounds in Scotland that I've still to tick off the list, so hopefully I'll get through when we play in January.

I would go to the game 

At least you'll get 90 mins from it :P

11 minutes ago, Young gun said:

I lived in Dumbarton for many years including 70s and 80 which were really good.

I would,say the past 6 years are the most consistent and best  years in their history 

All the Sons fans can do is reminisce about,6"seasons and think Christ didn't we do well

Its great credit to the players and management in recent punching above their weight.

The Board ... The less said the better. 

In recent years maybe; but we won the Scottish Cup in the 1880s (plus were finalists five more times during that decade and the next) and were champions of Scotland in the League's first two years, 1891 and 92. Except for a few seasons round the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth century and another in 1954-55, before 1996 we were never below the second tier, albeit up to 1975 there only were  two.

But, yes, these are relatively good times.

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm told he was actually offered a deal at the Pars in the summer but chose ours instead. f**k knows why. 

Hutton chose us because our facilities are better. He liked to park close to the ground, a nice home changing area and his family don't get soaked when watching him play because we have a decent roof on our leg friendly stand.

2 hours ago, rockson said:

In recent years maybe; but we won the Scottish Cup in the 1880s (plus were finalists five more times during that decade and the next) and were champions of Scotland in the League's first two years, 1891 and 92. Except for a few seasons round the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth century and another in 1954-55, before 1996 we were never below the second tier, albeit up to 1975 there only were  two.

But, yes, these are relatively good times.

Unfortunately there's nobody around to reminisce about the glory days of the 1880's & 1890's. :P

I take your point though

14 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've got to be honest, I've never really understood the 'Facilities' argument. Our stadium might not be the biggest and most exciting in the league, but there's decent legroom, decent toilets, easy cheap parking and a pretty standard pie stall. If I was an away fan I wouldn't look forward to a game at the Rock like I'm looking forward to Brechin, but I would be totally nonplused by it. Unlike when we were rammed into the wee corner of the main stand at Stark's and Cappielow where the toilets are positively medieval and I'd have to amputate my legs for comfort.

Ooh yes.

Any mention of Cappielow's Main Stand gives me enough rope to post my 'Cappielow Main Stand walking gif'

"Rickets-R-Us"

58f0b2b9a7f6f_bowlegwalk.jpg.2264acf8ca7ac819fb0aca166ddc141e.jpg

I prefer Stark's and Morton because I like a stadium to have four sides, not sure why. Going to a one sided stadium is always absolutely shit. Not to mention at Morton you go in the Cowshed now anyway.

I think down in England they have a rule where you've to have four sides and the stadiums look ten times better for it. If I was in a position where I had to choose away days I'd sack of the ones with only one stand, is there a one sided stadium in Scotland which isn't absolutely shite?

I prefer Stark's and Morton because I like a stadium to have four sides, not sure why. Going to a one sided stadium is always absolutely shit. Not to mention at Morton you go in the Cowshed now anyway.

I think down in England they have a rule where you've to have four sides and the stadiums look ten times better for it. If I was in a position where I had to choose away days I'd sack of the ones with only one stand, is there a one sided stadium in Scotland which isn't absolutely shite?

Point of order #1 - Raith doesn't have 4 sides, it really only has 2 and a half since the Railway Stand is out of action and the Main Stand doesn't even reach the half way line.

Point of order #2 - I don't know where you've got the info about English grounds having 4 sides? As someone who has been to a Oxford United's 3-sided ground I can confirm that's not the case.

One stand (or even 2, as Clyde and Stirling used to have) grounds are pretty crap though. All the atmosphere gets sucked out the ground and not being able to see (or often hear) the opposition fans even when they score is just awful.

I think down in England they have a rule where you've to have four sides and the stadiums look ten times better for it.

That rule doesn't exist, but if it did it would be up there with the old SPL seating rule.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed a day out at the football more because of how many sides the stadium has. I tend to judge it nearby pubs, result, company etc. If you don't like 1 sided stadiums to the point it makes your experience that bad then the solution is fairly obvious.

Point of order #1 - Raith doesn't have 4 sides, it really only has 2 and a half since the Railway Stand is out of action and the Main Stand doesn't even reach the half way line.

Point of order #2 - I don't know where you've got the info about English grounds having 4 sides? As someone who has been to a Oxford United's 3-sided ground I can confirm that's not the case.

One stand (or even 2, as Clyde and Stirling used to have) grounds are pretty crap though. All the atmosphere gets sucked out the ground and not being able to see (or often hear) the opposition fans even when they score is just awful.

They do have stands on all four sides and have fans sitting on three of them tbf, if you bring enough fans the railway stand gets opened which would bring it up to four.

I'm genuinely not sure, it was something I read a couple of years back, I'm not sure if it was something to do with either licensing or grading but I liked the idea of it, stadiums in England are seemingly far better proportioned and better looking, makes for a more enjoyable experience and it looks better on the T.v etc.

That rule doesn't exist, but if it did it would be up there with the old SPL seating rule.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed a day out at the football more because of how many sides the stadium has. I tend to judge it nearby pubs, result, company etc. If you don't like 1 sided stadiums to the point it makes your experience that bad then the solution is fairly obvious.

I reckon it would be better tbh, say Dumbarton had a 500 seater stand with three sides of terracing it would look a hell of allot better and I'm sure your own fans would enjoy the matchday experience.

Burnt toast is still better than no toast, I'd still go, however if I was in a position where I had to pick and choose my away days then the one that costs £20 for a single stand stadium would be the first one to get punted in the bin.

I reckon allot of football fans make a decision on whether to go to a game based on atmosphere, it's why derby games are such big draws. On the opposite end of that spectrum one sided stadiums are the worst for atmosphere.

Grant, you talk some amount of shite. Picking and choosing games on the amount of stands the stadium has is up there with one of the most absurd things I've ever read. It's batshit mental logic. 

Furthermore, advocating clubs spending money they don't have to build stands they don't need is verging on behaviour that would get you sectioned. 

Dumbartons average attendance is around 1000. You really think spreading those fans out over 4 stands will improve the atmosphere? 

Archived