Dumbarton vs Dunfermline Athletic

Dumbarton have been at this level for years, playing sides with large supports like Hibs, Hearts, Rangers etc. How is there such a lack of money?

Limited capacity, other grounds can comfortably hold more supporters than ours.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

I'm not entirely sure what facilities the other grounds mentioned offer that Dumbarton don't. The view is fine and there's catering and toilet facilities. What else do you require? An extra 3 empty stands to look at? 

Yeah, the it's too expensive but so are a number of other grounds in this division but you don't see the same knashing of teeth over Tannadice etc. 

Better parking facilities, better corporate and hospitality facilities, generally a much higher standard of catering and toilets, better changing rooms, referees changing rooms, media and press areas, stewarding, first aiders.

Admittedly only half of that list would impact the average fan's experience, yes all stadiums will have the same basic features but a stadium like easter road has a much higher quality in those areas than Dumbarton's.

I'd say base level, to watch a championship game at a just a ptich with no stands or facilities would be around £5/10, so anything additional to that is what is being provided by the facilities.

The facility at Dumbarton are not worth an additional £10 for your 2/3 hour visit, the facilities at easter road arguably are.

Not to mention the fact that if it's baltic/pelting it down with rain, I'd much rather be sitting halfway up a stand with 3 other stands, empty or not, providing some cover.

There is one thing in Dumbarton plus column, parking for a £1 and it gives you a entry in the half time draw. Compared with £4 at Falkirk, £3 at Morton, £3 for the Pars and parking a long way from the ground at Hibs , at least there is one thing in the Sons favour.

Better parking facilities, better corporate and hospitality facilities, generally a much higher standard of catering and toilets, better changing rooms, referees changing rooms, media and press areas, stewarding, first aiders.
Admittedly only half of that list would impact the average fan's experience, yes all stadiums will have the same basic features but a stadium like easter road has a much higher quality in those areas than Dumbarton's.
I'd say base level, to watch a championship game at a just a ptich with no stands or facilities would be around £5/10, so anything additional to that is what is being provided by the facilities.
The facility at Dumbarton are not worth an additional £10 for your 2/3 hour visit, the facilities at easter road arguably are.
Not to mention the fact that if it's baltic/pelting it down with rain, I'd much rather be sitting halfway up a stand with 3 other stands, empty or not, providing some cover.

Whilst I fully agree with the prices being too high, I certainly don't agree that our facilities are some how worth less than others.

In what way is catering better at Easter Road or the likes? It's the exact same. The view is completely unrestricted and covered. Our hospitality facilities are good, have you been? Changing rooms and media facilities etc don't even remotely come into it in the slightest. I'm absolutely no trying to justify the price but to claim our facilities are somehow worse than others that charge 20 quid is false.

As for the chat around attracting new supporters, lets focus on keeping the ones we already do have. There is zero catch 22 involved in that sense. It's more than just a handful not bothering to turn up and on this thread alone you can see the impact it could have on away numbers.

Better parking facilities,

Well I always use local on-street parking which is readily available but Dumbarton has an on-site car park which does exactly the same job as those at East End, Falkirk, Inverness etc. And of course there is no such thing at Tannadice (or Easter Road for that matter).

better corporate and hospitality facilities,

Which will be reflected in a higher price for hospitality packages, and has no affect on those in the general admission areas.

generally a much higher standard of catering and toilets,

Well they've all got hot pastry products, hot drinks, cold drinks, crisps and sweets... other than the decent chips you get at Palmerston and the bridies you get at East End, most places are much of a muchness. There may be slightly less choice than at some venues but I'm going to the football, not out for lunch. The toilets are almost exactly the same as at every other ground in the country (except arguably East End as we have individual pissoirs rather than a metal trough to pee in and tiles on the wall not just breeze block).

better changing rooms, referees changing rooms, media and press areas, stewarding, first aiders.

Exactly - they have no impact whatsoever on on the fan, so why should that affect the price?

The one possible point in your favour. However, I got wet a fortnight ago at Livingston as the other stands did hee-haw to block the wind and rain. And Dumbarton could even argue that they offer a better view than most other places as it's a side on one rather than behind the goals. And compared to Tannadice, the comfort levels are better than in the old Main Stand if we're put in that, and if away fans are in the shed this season, the view there is obstructed so it's still worse. Indeed it's debatable if even the Fair Play Stand has better comfort levels than Dumbarton tbh.

The long and short of it is that there is no reason to have a go at Dumbarton in particular about entry prices. I've been fairly consistent in my disappointment at the prices in this league, and didn't go to Tannadice or Easter Road last season as a result. Should it be cheaper? Yes. Should we only have a go at Dumbarton for that? No.

8 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Dumbarton have been at this level for years, playing sides with large supports like Hibs, Hearts, Rangers etc. How is there such a lack of money?

Because we need to basically pay full time wages to part time players to compete and our away end only holds 900.

7 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Utter nonsense.

Dumbarton offer a perfectly reasonable (side view) seat to watch Championship football. There are toilets and catering. The parking is one million percent better than either Tannadice or Easter Road which have none. The rest is completely irrelevant and incidentally having more first aiders and stewards doesnt equate to "better".

If £20 is too much at Dumbarton then its too much everywhere and tbose other grounds should be boycotted too.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I love the fact that Messiah thinks we should factor the weather into our price though. 

Yeah, how many other grounds can you go to and bet guaranteed to be able to fly a kite at half time? If you don't mind risking being dragged off to Norway, that is. :lol:

I've got to be honest, I've never really understood the 'Facilities' argument. Our stadium might not be the biggest and most exciting in the league, but there's decent legroom, decent toilets, easy cheap parking and a pretty standard pie stall. If I was an away fan I wouldn't look forward to a game at the Rock like I'm looking forward to Brechin, but I would be totally nonplused by it. Unlike when we were rammed into the wee corner of the main stand at Stark's and Cappielow where the toilets are positively medieval and I'd have to amputate my legs for comfort.

People factoring in the state of a grounds toilets or the referees changing room size when deciding on whether to go to the football or not is everything wrong with fans these days and has given me a beamer just reading it. Get a bottle down your neck and enjoy yourself ffs. 

10 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Already been covered pretty much but this has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on Pie and Bovril. What makes it even more unbelievable is that you seem to truly believe the points you are trying to make.

You're going to a football stadium to watch a football match. Not taking your family out for a fine dining 4 course meal or going to the opera.

If £20 is too much at Dumbarton then its too much everywhere and tbose other grounds should be boycotted too.

Very true.

It's still the situation though that some fans of some teams (emphasis on some, there) feel that we shouldn't be charging the same as sides like Dundee United in this division (despite the product being the same) because we're a 'wee diddy team' and the likes.

Absolute nonsense of course, but that's the attitude we sometimes come up against when pricing comes to be discussed.

And just to clarify, I'm in no way trying to justify our pricing either, but we're no more expensive than most others in the division.

Archived