Falkirk v Queens

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would expect one of the three strikers to be dropped for either Stirling or Dykes
As I think we won't go as attacking and back to a 4-4-2 for this

Who would you drop? We brought Kane in to play games on short term deal. Lyle is in form and would be unfair to drop him. Dobbie although things aren't coming off for him he is easily our best player. It's a tough call

after playing some fast and attractive forward passing football in the league cup group I really don't know what's happened. 1 draw at home to Dumbarton and 3 defeats since then and the wheels really have come off. red cards and injuries aren't helping but neither is the chopping and changing of the side. we beat Brechin and Inverness comfortably in the cup but they are bottom of the league like us too now so maybe flattered us. we've lost comfortably to saints and pars who are likely to be at the top end. not just the losses but the style of play slow again and not getting forward in numbers. ohara has earned his chance over Miller now. think we'll struggle again and can't believe I'm going to this home match thinking well be lucky to get a draw. interesting what side we put out if hippo and loy still injured Sibbald and Miller suspended and Muirhead in the doghouse. all I ask is that we have a go and get numbers in the box quickly. if we lose so be it

10 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Who would you drop? We brought Kane in to play games on short term deal. Lyle is in form and would be unfair to drop him. Dobbie although things aren't coming off for him he is easily our best player. It's a tough call

Unfortunately it would probaly have to be Lyle I'd imagine,All 3 could play I suppose but don't think we will be that attacking away to Falkirk

Hopefully I'm wrong as Lyle doesn't deserve to be dropped 

Eta:and I'd much Rather lose going for it instead of sitting back and losing

2 hours ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Would expect one of the three strikers to be dropped for either Stirling or Dykes

As I think we won't go as attacking and back to a 4-4-2 for this

Naysmith hinted in his interview that he wouldn't rule out changing formation if required for this one as Falkirk (A) is different to Brechin and Dumbarton at home.

Normally, I would agree with that but given the disarray Falkirk are in at the moment I don't think we should be going there to allow them majority possession but rather take the game to them.

Hopefully he was just giving PH something to think about.

5 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Naysmith hinted in his interview that he wouldn't rule out changing formation if required for this one as Falkirk (A) is different to Brechin and Dumbarton at home.

Normally, I would agree with that but given the disarray Falkirk are in at the moment I don't think we should be going there to allow them majority possession but rather take the game to them.

Hopefully he was just giving PH something to think about.

Yeah but the formation that has been played effectively has no wide midfielders with the full backs creating width 

Something better teams like Falkirk may exploit,So Id imagine he'll go back to 4-4-2 certainly not a 4-5-1 we shouldn't be that cautious

ETA:Agree with you 

Unfortunately it would probaly have to be Lyle I'd imagine,All 3 could play I suppose but don't think we will be that attacking away to Falkirk
Hopefully I'm wrong as Lyle doesn't deserve to be dropped 
Eta:and I'd much Rather lose going for it instead of sitting back and losing

With Falkirk woes and we have a few wins and momentum at the back of us I wonder if the best tactic would be a forward thinking attacking line up like we have seen recently. Get them on the back foot and hopefully score the first goal. From what the Falkirk fans have said they are struggling and a attacking line up putting them under pressure and getting their fans on their backs might be what gets us the points. I don't fancy defensive setup for this game.

18 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Heard from who?

18 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

A player

:lol:

Not a fucking chance.

39 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I'll not be surprised if Kerr's back in, with Fordyce at right back and Rooney on the bench. Kane, Dobbie and Lyle to start up front.

I'd be very surprised if that happens. Fordyce has been a standout at centre half and was only ok at right back against a poorer side than Falkirk.

The only way Kerr plays is if Naysmith goes with a back 3/5 (barring injuries of course)

He did start the same, basic, formation at Tannadice, albeit Dykes started instead of Kane and Tapping instead of Carmichael, so it doesnt look like he intends to be that defensive away from home. Of course, the Utd wingers were having a field day early on which might change his thinking ahead of this game.

I'd be tempted to play a more orthodox 4-4-2 though. Having Dobbie in behind the strikers basically means he'll be playing on top of Kerr which could work in our favour, restricting Kerrs time on the ball, but it could also just mean less space for Dobbie

With Falkirk woes and we have a few wins and momentum at the back of us I wonder if the best tactic would be a forward thinking attacking line up like we have seen recently. Get them on the back foot and hopefully score the first goal. From what the Falkirk fans have said they are struggling and a attacking line up putting them under pressure and getting their fans on their backs might be what gets us the points. I don't fancy defensive setup for this game.

I actually agree with this. if we go a goal behind and aren't playing well it won't be a nice place to be. that's why for the opposite reason we need to be attack minded too from the off. any pass pass pass crab football isn't what the doctor ordered right now.

My team would be, Martin in goals and a back 3 of Brownlie Kerr Fordce with Rooney and Marshall as wing backs. Tapping Jacobs and Rankin in the middle with Dobbie and Kane up top. We've not been very strong at defending the flanks so an extra CB might help us be stronger there, plus with Jacobs work rate and sitting in it would give us more than enough cover. 

It gives us plenty of options on the bench as well. Harsh on Lyle but I think with the way Falkirk will line up it gives us a back 5 when defending and a midfield of 5 plus 2 strikers when attacking. 

Obviously the the full backs would have to put in a really good shift going up and down the line all game and the 3 in the middle would have to be tight and well organised but we're more than capable. 

I don't mind 4-4-2 but it seems to give other teams joy down the wings. 

If we come out with a hint of a defensive line up and things aren't looking too great it is inevitable the crowd will get on the teams back and that will just increase the nerves.

Our only hope is to come out and have a right good go from the off and try to get the crowd going. 40 minutes for our first attempt at goal this Saturday will just not do.

Martin
Rooney
Brownlie
Fordyce
Marshall
Carmichael 
Rankin
Jacobs
Stirling
Dobbie
Kane. 

1-1 draw with a Dobbie second half equaliser. 

That would probably be my starting XI as well. I'm not sure about the formation though. Looks a bit narrow to me, I could see Falkirk exploiting us down the wings.

8 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

This is exactly what you need to do.

Start quickly, as we're generally guff the 1st 45 (SM game aside), and if you get a goal in front then a) the vitriol from the stands is going to be quite something to behold, and b) we'll pass it around in front of your defence with precisely 0 penetration.

Can't wait for saturday tbh. :death

36 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

That would probably be my starting XI as well. I'm not sure about the formation though. Looks a bit narrow to me, I could see Falkirk exploiting us down the wings.

Falkirk exploiting someone, good one. 

Archived