Berwick Rangers next manager

I'm a bit uneasy about Robbie Horn. Always seems an easy option to pick someone you know. That's how Coughlin came back again. But then again, the last time we plumped for someone new, we got Cameron.

Hope they do an exhaustive interview process and get someone who really gives a stuff, can bring a few fresh ideas, and can energise our under-achieving players.

In the meantime, no word yet on who will be in charge this Saturday. I guess Myles Allan is favourite, but I'd let the lass in the chip van pick the team before him. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that mean he got two managers the sack? Or was he ineffective as an assistant? By far the biggest budget in the league at Bonnyrigg,  how did they do in the league last season? Only asking! 

Just F*ck right off and stop splaffing total sh*te... Neil Oliver is the 2nd biggest self opinionated waste of space known to man, after Yellow feet, using his initials as a piece of advice... Neil Oliver.... NO! 8)

You have similar character judgement abilities as the American voting public.

Surely if Neil Oliver was serious about getting the job, he'd go out there and prove himself as a manager? As far as I know, he had a short stint as assistant manager about a decade ago, managed Duns to the bottom of the EOS, then had a short stint at Coldstream where many say he couldn't be bothered and it was a bit of a shambles. Even in his recent role with the u20s, he only does home games. Hardly a glittering record.

Compare it with Robbie Horn who's gone out and worked hard to build a reputation at Vale of Leithen and had brilliant success at Bonnyrigg. Not to mention working as assistant manager under two managers and his history at Berwick and affection for the club. It's a no brainer for me if that was the choice.

The constant pushing of Neil Oliver seems to come from his friends and the odd local who never watch Berwick and seem to think being from Berwick is enough. He may be good one day, but he's 50 now and done nothing of note as a manager at a lower level as of yet.

Can't disagree with any of that, and I'm not overtly pushing him as manager; like you, I don't think he'd want it. I'd just like to see him continue to be involved in the development pathway. Which is where I've seen him and been impressed.

Horn is undoubtedly a better option on experience and track record of course.

Was Ian Cathro not mooted when he was part of the Newcastle set-up?

It's now 10yrs since we were promoted to SFL2 and came straight back down.

None of the "internal appointments" / "club legends" have particularly worked... Jimmy Crease managed 9th, 6th and 6th again, then fell on his sword after Scottish Cup humiliation at Deveronvale. Ian Little managed 7th and 4th and playoff SF defeat to East Fife but left as things dipped again. Couglin returned to the scene of his past triumphs but only managed to finish 6th and 8th - escaping a near brush with the relegation playoff and Scottish Cup embarrassment to Hawick - then has gone after a poor start augured little sign of improvement.

Then again none of the "outside prospects" have worked either... Renwick came with all the coaching badges, was a total disaster and was gone by the end of the relegation season. McGonigall came from Camelon and was off back to the non-leagues and his post offices before Christmas. Colin Cameron was rated as young and up-n-coming - but managed only 5th, 8th and then left a couple of months into the next season. He gained more time from a Scottish Cup QF run, but it was quite fortunate only drawing non-league and SPFL2 sides.

For me that perhaps indicates the need for an outside figure with SPFL management experience. However whether any such manager would come to the club might be questionable: if so I can see the logic in Horne.

Does that mean he got two managers the sack? Or was he ineffective as an assistant? By far the biggest budget in the league at Bonnyrigg,  how did they do in the league last season? Only asking! 

Biggest budget in the league?????
Talking pish mate!!!!

12 hours ago, Redcar said:

I'm a bit uneasy about Robbie Horn. Always seems an easy option to pick someone you know. That's how Coughlin came back again. But then again, the last time we plumped for someone new, we got Cameron.

Hope they do an exhaustive interview process and get someone who really gives a stuff, can bring a few fresh ideas, and can energise our under-achieving players.

No it's not. After the interview process Coughlin was second pick. The number one choice turned the gig down.

The two most successful managers in the last 20 years were appointed without the role being advertised. Coughlin first time around and Paul Smith.

7 hours ago, ShiPi said:

Finished 2nd and almost won everything. Top club and top manager. 

Horn deserves his chance if he does get it.

37 minutes ago, Disc Potato said:

No it's not. After the interview process Coughlin was second pick. The number one choice turned the gig down.

The two most successful managers in the last 20 years were appointed without the role being advertised. Coughlin first time around and Paul Smith.

In Coughlin's 2nd stint, he had a worse record than Colin Cameron, and what you say just makes it clear that he got the job because he was a comfortable pals option, once someone else declined the offer.

Just saying they should have a look at what is available rather than make their minds up that Robbie is the man before interviews. (Which, fair enough, is what they seem to be doing).

Robbie Horn may well get the job - assuming he wants it - and could be very successful. Smiles all round if that happens.

3 minutes ago, Redcar said:

In Coughlin's 2nd stint, he had a worse record than Colin Cameron, and what you say just makes it clear that he got the job because he was a comfortable pals option, once someone else declined the offer.

Just saying they should have a look at what is available rather than make their minds up that Robbie is the man before interviews. (Which, fair enough, is what they seem to be doing).

Robbie Horn may well get the job - assuming he wants it - and could be very successful. Smiles all round if that happens.

Absolutely, you're always waiting on that jaw dropping C.V. hitting the inbox. In reality it isn't going to happen but we live in hope. Seen Kevin Thomson's name prop up a few times, he would be worth talking to if he was interested. Best pals with ex player Kev McDonald, so likely he knows a fair bit about the club. 

Ex players affiliation to clubs is nonsense when it comes to managerial appointments, personally I don't believe in it but Robbie Horn does boast strong credentials. I like the fact he showed ambition by breaking away from his role as number two to prove himself as the main man. Seen him described as a similar type to Yano and Cough, more nonsense from guessers that haven't clue about his managerial style.

IMHO Cameron and Little we're good coaches but the club struggled with the recruitment of players. 

We need our manager to be the difference  in attracting players to the club. Further north, Petrie is doing that at Montrose. Dave Mackay is doing a great job at Stirling. 

Money talks but at this level, appointing the right manager is crucial.

Personally I would have left open the full time/part time option and worked around the leading candidates to see what fitted best.

There is a huge amount of support behind Robbie from ex players, they all want to play a part in helping Robbie succeed at BRFC. They might just bring back the good times. 

Time will tell, I honestly hope we are all posting in two weeks time with a positive outlook on the future. 

8 hours ago, leb8t said:

No I think he is right, who has a bigger budget? I really do not see his strong credentials. Was it 7th and 8th with Vale? There must be a better option. 

Boness, linlithgow and Kelty will all have had bigger budgets. Looking at bonnyriggs squad it's likely to be comparable now but that'll be down to the success on the park mainly the cup run and they've got a hard working committee down there. Horn did well at the vale did he not? 

Boness, linlithgow and Kelty will all have had bigger budgets. Looking at bonnyriggs squad it's likely to be comparable now but that'll be down to the success on the park mainly the cup run and they've got a hard working committee down there. Horn did well at the vale did he not? 

No he did not, not a disaster, but nothing better than ok.

You are mistaken with regards to budget, a major cash injection before title winning season.

I would accept he may have taken eye off the ball because of Scottish Cup last season, however I would prefer recruitment was based on actual factual evidence and performance.

No he did not, not a disaster, but nothing better than ok.

You are mistaken with regards to budget, a major cash injection before title winning season.

I would accept he may have taken eye off the ball because of Scottish Cup last season, however I would prefer recruitment was based on actual factual evidence and performance.

Mistaken how? Major injection go on....

Finished 2nd and almost won everything. Top club and top manager. 
Horn deserves his chance if he does get it.

Couldn't agree more.
Bonnyrigg just fell short in the league last season and it was the run-in that killed them in the end.
They were playing 3 games a week as soon as the clocks changed. The big Scottish Cup and the Scottish Junior Cup runs killed them in the end.

7 hours ago, tescodave said:

So's our fucking Chairman and look at the job he's done so far....

on the plus side......

he makes memorable speeches

he has special powers that convince managers to fix leaking roofs.......doesn't matter that they can't fix leaking defences with half a dozen centre backs on the payroll 

On 8/25/2017 at 00:26, Disc Potato said:

Absolutely, you're always waiting on that jaw dropping C.V. hitting the inbox. In reality it isn't going to happen but we live in hope. Seen Kevin Thomson's name prop up a few times, he would be worth talking to if he was interested. Best pals with ex player Kev McDonald, so likely he knows a fair bit about the club. 

Kevin McDonald is married to Kevin Thomson's sister. His dad Allan Thomson played for Berwick in the early 80s.

Always a bit of a risk taking on a rookie manager, but at 32 years old should still be able to do a decent job in our midfield.

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

So, what was the difference between the last 2 weeks; shipping 9 goals and scoring 1, and today? Discarding the manager? Discuss please.

Some possibilities.

First is that they set up with a tighter defence this week due to the return of Scullion and playing 5 at the back. Will need to hear more about the way they set up from someone who was there, though.

Second, perhaps Beath were shite.

Third, maybe Coughlin had begun to "lose the dressing room" and the players just gave 10% more today.

Finally, after last week, perhaps the players own professional pride forced a positive reaction.

From what I've read so far, combination of all 4 might be true.

Archived