NCAA College Football 2017/18

lichtie23

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

They shouldn't have, though.

They didn't win their division and didn't qualify for their Conference Championship game. To then get a shot at being National Champions makes a mockery of the whole regular season.

The Playoff isn't for 4 Conference winners its for the 4 best teams, Alabama were clearly one of the 4 best teams.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Super_A said:

The Playoff isn't for 4 Conference winners its for the 4 best teams, Alabama were clearly one of the 4 best teams.

I didn't say it was, but a team who finished 3rd in the SEC should not get in ahead of the 2nd placed team from the SEC, especially when Auburn had already beaten Alabama (and Georgia).

FWIW I don't believe Auburn should have been there either, but if the the belief was that the 4th best team in the country played in the SEC then it's difficult to see why Alabama were chosen ahead of the Tigers.

There needs to be a way for all conference champions to at least have a route to the championship game. I'm not saying UCF would have won a CFP game in its current format, but they did beat an Auburn team who twice defeated the no. 1 ranked team in the country.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

FWIW I don't believe Auburn should have been there either, but if the the belief was that the 4th best team in the country played in the SEC then it's difficult to see why Alabama were chosen ahead of the Tigers.

Fair enough Auburn beat Alabama but they had 3 loses, they were never getting in after they lost to Georgia so the only other team would he been Ohio State who lost comfortably to Oklahoma and got absolutely pumped off Iowa. I think Alabama with one loss was the right decision and i think they proved it.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

There needs to be a way for all conference champions to at least have a route to the championship game. I'm not saying UCF would have won a CFP game in its current format, but they did beat an Auburn team who twice defeated the no. 1 ranked team in the country.

The only way to give all the conference winners a shot would be to make it 6 teams and let the Power 5 Conference winners in (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12) and the the highest ranked other team. In this case UCF still wouldn't have got in, and Alabama would still be the highest ranked other team. doing it this was also pretty much eliminates the chance of an non power 5 conference team (like UCF) ever getting in and having a conference winner who clearly isn't good enough for the play off getting in, like USC would have been if it worked like this this year.

Archived