Alloa Athletic V Queens Park

If Queens can play the passing game (that we all love and crave for) from the back rather than the recent hoof ball tactics totally missing out the midfield then I believe we have the ability to push on and win this one.

So far we look nervous on the ball and imo the constant harrassment from the sidelines is not helping matters - that and the constant state of flux with team selection doesnt lend itself to a settled, more composed game.

I know it's early days but it's time to start putting some points on the board - I don't want to be looking back at these early matches later in the season and thinking  ..... if only...

C'mon Spiders 

Second league-scraper game and it's only matchday 3. Surprised to see Alloa here too. With just 33 to go after this it could be perilous for one of these teams.  Queen's need to reboot with the basics like pressing up the pitch and making opponents make mistakes. I still think there's better prospects  to come with the forward players but they need more chances created for them.  On this surface, crisp short passing on the ground will work much better than 'long passes' that bounce around and run away. There's a really good reason why the midfiled is called the midfield. Keep it simple.

When you're struggling and away from home at a difficult venue on a surface you're not used to, the very last thing you want to be trying to do is be playing an expansive game. It's time to get back to basics, start with a straighforward 4-4-2 formation and try to initially frustrate Alloa and grow into the game. With that in mind, and on the basis that neither Kevin Green nor Gibby are available I'd go with Muir; Millen / Wharton / Cummins / Burns; McVey / Docherty / Fotheringham / Brady; Galt / Orr.

That also gets us as close to last season's successful side as possible, and if we can get a few results and consistency with them it would create the right platform to integrate the newbies instead of needing them to hit the ground running and gel as a team at the same time............that's asking a lot of guys who are also having to make a considerable step-up at the same time. 'Mon the Queens!

Adam martin , thats how its done , stuttered to a win against a good queens display ?

think we edged the win for the 2nd half  but queens looked more like scoring in the first. .

again not an impressive display , adam martin surely gets a start instead of cook ...

maybe the wind didn't help mind you .

Tough viewing today but a first win and clean sheet are very welcome.

Do not know what Goodwin sees in Renton, pretty hopeless today. That's why I was asking if Fleming was back as he's is not brilliant but definitely an improvement. Still need another addition there.

Adam Martin deservedly man of the match. Alan Cook quite easily shoved off the ball with little end product so I wouldn't be surprised to see that switch next week.

Not much of a game today and wouldn't say any team deserved to win but I'm not complaining!

A sore one to take nothing from that. However I am more heartened by the performance than I am down about the defeat. Given the recent shambles I think it's moving in the right direction. Thought Burns put in a good display and Orr looks like he will do well for us and suits our game. Fotheringham still a bit short of sharpness, but the defence seemed a bit more sorted. Would like to see more of Duff.

We were very poor none of new signings gives us anything Cook shocking, Fleming and Renton both at least a stone overweight and 2nd touch is a tackle. Grant and Malcom both missing in action.

The Result papers over a number of cracks in the team JG appears lost on side line 1 dimensional no ability to change a game. His signings are all poor and weakened us greatly.

One moment of skill by Adam Martin saved us today can see both teams fighting out for relegation slot.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

No interview from Gus. I'm told because he has no patter and looks daft when on the spot. :lol:

Here's Jim though.

The guy has managed in the SPL and had to deal with national radio/TV interviewers every week for years. I'm sure he'd manage fine with Alloa's YouTube channel.

A poor performance from us in a game that seemed destined for nothing each until Flannigan and Martin managed to inject a little class into proceedings. Unfortunately there's quite a bit wrong with that team at the moment, and for most of the game our play was pretty turgid. But, having said that, the goal and a couple of other moments showed that if we manage to find a system that gets Flannigan closer to the frontmen/man and we play Martin instead of Cook then we might still be capable of doing something in this league.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

The guy has managed in the SPL and had to deal with national radio/TV interviewers every week for years. I'm sure he'd manage fine with Alloa's YouTube channel.

Wasn't me that said it. One of the journos. Found it amusing. During the game he shouted up to me you'll need to mute that microphone after having an expletive filled rant at one of your players :lol:

Good improvement on the last 2 games even though the bar was pretty low. Midfield was much better at closing space (after the first 10 minutes) and for most of the game afterwards. We also had good spells with holding the ball and passing through the middle. Unfortunately, we seem to have reverted to being short up front and defence far too deep. We had a bit more possession than Alloa and almost the same (10-9) for shots but the on-target was 7-2 in Alloa's favour. And both ours easily handled by Parry. In contrast, Muir (again) made several great saves to keep us in the game.

With about 15 mins to go and us in good possession, fairly dominant and a chance to win the game, Bailey prepared for a throw-in around the 75 metre mark and looked around for a target. There was one player at the same level and two in front of him. Everyone else well back. The entire back line still within our half. Alloa had about 7 back and easily recovered possession. Immediately our midfield and defence all started backtracking. The back line was now about the 30m mark giving the Alloa players about 50m to move the ball without serious challenge. This was just one example of many and it was commonplace all last season. 

To give the striker (!) the support needed the gap has to be closed to 30m front to back. I never hear Gus roasting the defence for playing this way so I can only assume it's okay with him and most probably it's what he coaches given his entire playing career was as a defender. We've been through a lot of so-called strikers in the last few years and they've all been moved on but if you are only getting one or two chances per game it's not easy being a hot-shot. Orr looks the best of them all but will also prove fruitless if we continue to play so deep at the back. The best example of this is Chris Duggan whos has been scoring regularly with Fife but despite his graft couldn't (much) at QP. Answers on a tenner please.

By contrast, Alloa like Arbroath & Albion move forward in numbers and on occasion swarm the box. The individual goal was a worthy winner but he had others around him to help distract defenders.

Maybe the coaching staff could think about the basics again too. The team that scores the most goals wins. Keep it simple.

MotM: Wullie Muir

Totally agree with BYOS - the only time we even looked like threatening yesterday was either from a set piece or on the rare occasion that we pushed up and had some options.
Overall though I reckon a draw would have been about right for this match and there was a marked improvement from the previous 3 games.

There wasn't much in it, but credit where it's due the double substitution for Alloa put us on the front foot- with QP appearing happier to settle for a point in the closing stages. 

I can't see us struggling to the point of being near the bottom. The core of a good side is still there. Our back 4 is really solid, and in Flannigan we have one of the best players in the league. Flannigan and Cawley will cause every team problems with their flair and movement. 

We'll see if the forward line comes good in time. Might need a bit of tweaking, even if that means playing Cawley as part of a two. Need big Fleming to come in and make an impact.

Adam Martin for me deserves to start next week. Jim Goodwin seems quite cautious about it going by his post match interview, but going by not only his output but his desire to stake his claim the boy should be in the 11.

Result was the most important factor yesterday though rather than the performance.

Archived