Bruce Forsyth

H Wragg

Met him back in 2002 in Chessington Park standing beside one of the main rides whilst my Wife and Daughter was on it.

He was watching over a pram with a child as we spoke about parenthood as I had a pram with my youngest Daughter waiting for the Wife and oldest Daughter. We simply conversed about kids and family and important time together with each other and had a laugh until my Wife and Daughter showed up and I said to him "Nice to see you" and he just laughed because he thought I didn't recognise him.

Nice guy in real life.

R.I.P. Brucie.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An absolute leech on the BBC that just wouldn't fucking disappear. A weird relic of 70's television that somehow remained in the public eye. I'm also sure he was a demon with a knife for a penis.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You are only auld if you remember the white dot that got smaller and smaller after you switched the TV off (manually of course).

Or when TV actually finished at midnight (none of this 24 hour tv pish...) and you just sat there staring at interference before having to get off your arse and switch it off!!

2 minutes ago, TAJ said:

No chance!

We didn't even have tv remotes then. You had to get up aff yer arse to change the channel and it wasn't just a case of pressing a button, you had to tune in with the dial.

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

You are only auld if you remember the white dot that got smaller and smaller after you switched the TV off (manually of course).

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

:lol: That's me!

Fucking auld farts. :lol: That includes me as well. :(

May I add the annoying high pitched hum from dodgy valves warming up, give it five minutes and then bang the top of the telly to get rid of the high pitched noise for about an hour before it returned back. :lol:

3 channels of pish and they all shut down around midnight with the test card and crappy elevator music and one for The Rangers fans! "God save the fucking queen" as the BBC channels shut down for the night.

FTCC.JPG

8 minutes ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

The static electricity you used to be able to get from the TV screen was incredible. Especially if you kept your hand on the screen when switching if off. 

Was that not caused by by-passing the meter :lol:

25 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Fucking auld farts. :lol: That includes me as well. :(

May I add the annoying high pitched hum from dodgy valves warming up, give it five minutes and then bang the top of the telly to get rid of the high pitched noise for about an hour before it returned back. :lol:

3 channels of pish and they all shut down around midnight with the test card and crappy elevator music and one for The Rangers fans! "God save the fucking queen" as the BBC channels shut down for the night.

FTCC.JPG

and hunting my grannys house for a ten bob bit to put in the telly because the old yin rented the fucker for the best part of a decade

36 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

They also had difficulty keeping to the schedule. Programmes would often start earlier or later than advertised. 

Yeah, good thing that doesn't happen any more.

I'm nowhere near as old as some of you codgers, but we had a telly where you had to change the channels by re-tuning with a dial.

Not only did you have to get off your arse to change the channel, but you also had the risk that while the channel might be tuned as you stood at the telly, your positioning on the couch might interfere, and you would be up and down making miniscule adjustments.

Oh, and RIP Brucie.

I've almost certainly bragged about this before but fucked if I'm missing the opportunity for one last go.

Bruce Forsyth once pushed me out of the way at Royal Birkdale for the British Open and he had been trying to bully the security codger into letting him into the clubhouse.

"I'm sorry Mr Forsyth; it's for members only."
"But I'm Bruce Forsyth!"
"But I'm Bruce Forsyth!"

Eventually the loveable scamp stomped off in a rage. On hindsight it probably wasn't the best time to ask for his autograph but I was only 11 or 12. I ended up on my arse.

35 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I've almost certainly bragged about this before but fucked if I'm missing the opportunity for one last go.

Bruce Forsyth once pushed me out of the way at Royal Birkdale for the British Open and he had been trying to bully the security codger into letting him into the clubhouse.

"But I'm Bruce Forsyth!"
"But I'm Bruce Forsyth!"

Eventually the loveable scamp stomped off in a rage. On hindsight it probably wasn't the best time to ask for his autograph but I was only 11 or 12. I ended up on my arse.

1981? :1eye

1 hour ago, hellbhoy said:

FTCC.JPG

They even put the testcard on for most of the afternoon too, you'd think they'd have something they could have repeated at least?...

Archived