Montrose Vs Cowdenbeath

Poor game but a win is a win. Cowden huffed and puffed and to be fair are not a bad side at all, can't see them finishing bottom again that's for sure.superb header from dillion to win the game and a good performance from the man himself....roll on next week

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Will take the win but boy did we make heavy weather of it against a poor Cowden team.

We were in charge for much of the first half. The goal came from a Forheringhsm corner flicked on at the near post: it bounced off that horrible thug Syme's head and in off the underside if the crossbar.

Montrose huffed and puffed after that but didn't really convince at all. The attack is disjointed and over-reliant on Templeman. We lack in the Centre of midfield. Just as well our defense is pretty solid and managed to keep Cowden out. The last quarter of the game really was infuriating to watch as we basically invited them to attack us- and nearly paid the price when someone hit the bar.

We've had a decent start to the season but that game showed us we are far from the finished article. We need at least another striker and more guile in the middle if the park. A better team than Cowden would have taken a advantage of those weaknesses.

As for Cowden : lucky to finish with a full team on the park ( Gavin Ross had another shitemare with the whistle- a truly dreadful referee) and I can't see them troubling the top four, then again they should be well clear of the relegation play off this term.

Not much disagreement from me. It's not a poor Cowden team, just an awful Cowden performance. Montrose even brought CJ on early to give us a chance.

Streetwise men against boys. It was only in the last quarter when some of the Montrose players were running out of steam that we created some chances. Pity about the wind which spoiled the game.

Poor game which would have been a draw on any other day except for one lapse of concentration at a corner where we switched off and lost a goal to a simple flick on. Both teams hit the bar but neither keeper had a save to make.

We are a young team who were bullied by a physical Montrose aided by inept refereeing. Liam Callaghan set the tone in the first 5 mins with his cheap shot on Mullen kneeing him in the back from his blind side causing the player to go off injured.

Maybe someone can explain how two identical tackles within one minute can be construed as no foul and then a foul and a booking !

Well not a classic, but really enjoyed it, especially some of the banter from the fans behind the goal.

Two committed teams and a slightly dodgy ref kept it interesting .

Thought the Montrose back 4 were  very sound and cowdenbeaths best player was the centre half, although on another day he might have seen red.

Didnt take the good advice given about the pie and although pleasantly surprised by the filling, wasn't too please about the pastry, which was I assume made from some type of plastic!

All in all I thought it was £13 well spent and wish good luck to both teams for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

Poor game which would have been a draw on any other day except for one lapse of concentration at a corner where we switched off and lost a goal to a simple flick on. Both teams hit the bar but neither keeper had a save to make.

We are a young team who were bullied by a physical Montrose aided by inept refereeing. Liam Callaghan set the tone in the first 5 mins with his cheap shot on Mullen kneeing him in the back from his blind side causing the player to go off injured.

Maybe someone can explain how two identical tackles within one minute can be construed as no foul and then a foul and a booking !

I hope that tackle (or whatever it was ) was accidental. Didn't think Callaghan was a dirty player. He hardly tackled anyone or even got his shorts dirty when he played for us.

The referee was dreadful and looked lost throughout the game. No consistency at all and he shouldn't be allowed to referee at this level. I'm sure both sets of fans felt the same.

8 minutes ago, Velazquez Blue said:

The referee was dreadful and looked lost throughout the game. No consistency at all and he shouldn't be allowed to referee at this level. I'm sure both sets of fans felt the same.

I certainly agree. Each time I see him referee one of our games I fear the worst, just glad we got the win today and hopefully we won't see Mr Ross for a while now.

24 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Callaghan getting a fair bit of stick from the cowden fans... Personally thought he played very well today came on leaps and bounds.... Two MOTM on the trot

Hope he doesn't get a bottle of champagne for that. He will lying in the gutter pissed by now, but then again, he is like that every sat night !

42 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Callaghan getting a fair bit of stick from the cowden fans... Personally thought he played very well today came on leaps and bounds.... Two MOTM on the trot

I would say Liam was in a comfort zone at Cowden, he was there for years but hardly got a game for a long time. Just as he got a run in the side in his last season with us he got injured and was then out of the side before moving on.

Personally I thought Sean Dillon was you best player, a good experienced pro at the back something we probably need in a very young side.

As for the game we came into it in the 2nd half but without creating much although I thought a draw would have been fair in the end.

The ref was poor for both sides with some strange and inconsistent decisions. 

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I hope that tackle (or whatever it was ) was accidental. Didn't think Callaghan was a dirty player. He hardly tackled anyone or even got his shorts dirty when he played for us.

He gave Shaun Harrison a sore one a few weeks back against Edinburgh City!

Hope he doesn't get a bottle of champagne for that. He will lying in the gutter pissed by now, but then again, he is like that every sat night !

I hope he gave some to cj

At least this season we are trying to football. We are playing it out from the back and trying to keep the ball on the deck.

It's a very young side with the average age of 20 so hopefully they will grow together and get better as the season goes on.

1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

At least this season we are trying to football. We are playing it out from the back and trying to keep the ball on the deck.

It's a very young side with the average age of 20 so hopefully they will grow together and get better as the season goes on.

Agree

But young team needs to learn how to deal with physical teams like Montrose. I think syme was the perfect example today. Kyle miller got wiped out and no foul given so syme went in exactly the same on them. Unfortunately very poor referee penalised him for it but we need to be as nasty as other teams in this league.

The biggest issue we had yesterday was that Muirhead was up against Dillon who strolled through the match.  It wasn't until later on when Cammy moved out to the left wing that we actually looked like creating chances.  He's currently out best striker and left winger which is worrying.  We're close to having a very good side but we just badly lack a forward.  There's no money for a new one coming in so we need Morris and Whittaker to be back fully fit soon!

That was a typical Montrose performance against us.  Hard working, strong and scoring from a set piece.  I'd absolutely love to have Templeman in our team - he appears to be a nightmare to play against.

The biggest issue we had yesterday was that Muirhead was up against Dillon who strolled through the match.  It wasn't until later on when Cammy moved out to the left wing that we actually looked like creating chances.  He's currently out best striker and left winger which is worrying.  We're close to having a very good side but we just badly lack a forward.  There's no money for a new one coming in so we need Morris and Whittaker to be back fully fit soon!
That was a typical Montrose performance against us.  Hard working, strong and scoring from a set piece.  I'd absolutely love to have Templeman in our team - he appears to be a nightmare to play against.

Templeman is a thorn in most sides he has been brilliant since he came to us and long may it continue. You guys passed about the ball well in spells but like you said just no real threat up top. The lad you got from Dundee utd through the week looks a good player, you guys will be fine this season if you play like you did yesterday.

30 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Templeman is a thorn in most sides he has been brilliant since he came to us and long may it continue. You guys passed about the ball well in spells but like you said just no real threat up top. The lad you got from Dundee utd through the week looks a good player, you guys will be fine this season if you play like you did yesterday.

I have no concerns over us being near relegation.  Our back 4 is solid enough it's just a struggle to get so many young attacking player to perform week in week out.  

Archived