Scottish League Clubs who have never met

invergowrie arab

Assume this will be a fairly short list but inspired by longest time between meetings thread who has tour team never played in any competitive match.

Prob best to keep it to current 42

Dundee United

Elgin, Annan, Edinburgh City (although we did play the old Edinburgh City 14 times).

Played first game against Peterhead last year.

Edinburgh City which will be sorted this season and also just played Hearts for the first time.

Of the rest can't recall us playing Motherwell in a competitive game although we did play them in a friendly a number of years ago.

Played St Johnstone in a few friendlies and tournaments like the Dewar Shield as a HFL team but don't think we've played them in a serious tournament.

Played  Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup in 1923 as a HFL team but ironically have only played local Aberdeenshire games since then.

Edinburgh City which will be sorted this season and also just played Hearts for the first time.
Of the rest can't recall us playing Motherwell in a competitive game although we did play them in a friendly a number of years ago.
Played St Johnstone in a few friendlies and tournaments like the Dewar Shield as a HFL team but don't think we've played them in a serious tournament.
Played  Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup in 1923 as a HFL team but ironically have only played local Aberdeenshire games since then.

Positive you've played Hearts before this season and lost 4-0.

According to consensus, if you've played the old Edinburgh City, you've played the new one!!!
So if you played them last in 1938 then that's the date you put!!

Sure we've played all 42. Think I've seen at least one game against them all.

Plus seen us play a few who no longer exist, Airdrie ( original ) , Clydebank, ES Clydebank, Rangers ( original ), Third Lanark.

Stranraer have played them all in competitive fixtures, albeit Edinburgh City last faced us in 1946.

Also played Third Lanark, Clydebank, ES Clydebank, Gretna on league business.

Think the only clubs (apart from City) we haven't played on actual league business are Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts.

On 8/19/2017 at 13:26, WILLIEA said:

Sure we've played all 42. Think I've seen at least one game against them all.

Plus seen us play a few who no longer exist, Airdrie ( original ) , Clydebank, ES Clydebank, Rangers ( original ), Third Lanark.

We have played them all. I have seen us play them all away competitively. We have never played Peterhead at Palmerston though. Or the new Edinburgh City.

Considering we have mostly played in the bottom two leagues, I think we missed playing Gretna, although we were due to play them the year they went bust

We've played them all in competitive fixtures.

Played Edinburgh City in the Scottish Cup in, I think, 1997 (won 7-2). Played Annan in the League Cup in 2011 (we won 1-2). Played Elgin in the Scottish Cup in 2013 (I think - we won that one 3-5).

Played everyone else in the league at some point over the years (and probably played them all in the cups as well).

st mirren have played every team at least once.i can only find 1 occassion when we have played elgin city and that game turns out to be the 1st game smfc played where a programme was produced.

i think going back to day 1 of football we have also played every club who have died,from abercorn back in the day to rangers more recently.

ElginCity1923.thumb.jpg.9048800f4b0e5a32ca157546f35c2cbb.jpg

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Really? It's a completely different club.

On 7 May 2017 at 23:04, HibeeJibee said:

I think the story is that the football section ceased in the mid-1950s, but was restarted in the mid-1980s when they absorbed Postal United... Certainly the social club and other sports and non-sporting activities continued unbroken in between indeed the original ECFC social club only closed last year relocating to a new building. They consider themself a continuity anyway and have stronger claims to it than the likes of Clachnacuddin, Airdrie or Rangers among current senior clubs. It's not a situation like Leith Athletic or potentially Third Lanark.

On 8 May 2017 at 18:19, King Kebab said:

So at the end of the day, is this the same Edinburgh City as the Edinburgh City who we recorded our record victory (13-2) over in 1938???

On 8 May 2017 at 20:59, HibeeJibee said:

I would say so and certainly that's what the club itself and a number of semi-official organisations or people would say... On the other hand there's no official arbiter of history.

Archived