The games a bogey

The game has always been a bogey. 

I had my worst suspicions about just how uneven a playing field Scottish football is on February 3rd 1996. 

It was on that date when a player appearing for my team against Rangers was booked for blessing himself. Something he did every time he came on to or left the field of play. 

The same referee later admitted that he should have sent off a Rangers player (Paul Gascoigne - who incidentally that afternoon produced arguably the finest performance I've seen from a player playing against Thistle) but was scared over the crowd's reaction had he done so.

Every shitty call that goes Rangers' way pales into insignificance compared to that. Incompetence and/or being unconsciously influenced by the crowd I can understand but here was a referee openly admitting that he applied the rules differently for Rangers than he did Partick Thistle.   

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The refs, the SFA, the press, the stewards and the police are all scared of the backlash if they do something to the detriment of Rangers.  I've been going to and watching football since 1990 and it's always been like that.

The refs, the SFA, the press, the stewards and the police are all scared of the backlash if they do something to the detriment of Rangers.  I've been going to and watching football since 1990 and it's always been like that.

The shadow of the potential 'Social unrest' is why the various guises of 'Rangers' are a complete cancer on Scottish football...

A nettle that should be grasped at some point soon... but won't be.

Archived