Hawick Royal Albert duo resign.

Betty Swollocks

Why do they no go local anyway? 

They'd probably have the pick o the best amateurs in the area? 

The Borders must have some talent and I'm no buying they'd rather play wi mates patter that popped up time and time again. 

The LL is a well established league now I'm sure many young Borders lads would love a shot at it..... 

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Why do they no go local anyway? 

They'd probably have the pick o the best amateurs in the area? 

The Borders must have some talent and I'm no buying they'd rather play wi mates patter that popped up time and time again. 

The LL is a well established league now I'm sure many young Borders lads would love a shot at it..... 

Yes you would have thought that the lure of playing in the LL would attract 'local' players but the same could be said for Selkirk and G.F.R.

Only a few weeks ago I spoke to a Hawick player who recently went back to Border Amateur after a few seasons in the LL and asked him the same question and his reply..........'There's Only About Four Hawick Boys Good Enough To Play In The LL', but as you say, maybe some other Border amateur teams have players that could make up a decent squad.

10 hours ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Yes you would have thought that the lure of playing in the LL would attract 'local' players but the same could be said for Selkirk and G.F.R.

Only a few weeks ago I spoke to a Hawick player who recently went back to Border Amateur after a few seasons in the LL and asked him the same question and his reply..........'There's Only About Four Hawick Boys Good Enough To Play In The LL', but as you say, maybe some other Border amateur teams have players that could make up a decent squad.

It's certainly true that it is difficult to attract local players of the quality required for the Lowland League.

However the majority of the GFR squad are from the Borders. Unlike the other Borders teams we train in our town with players from Gala, Selkirk, Eyemouth, Kelso and other towns being augmented by 3 loanees and a smaller group of players from Edinburgh and the Lothians.

You were probably speaking to one of the Hawick boys who left us to re-join the Border Amateur League. They were both certainly capable of playing at LL level but wanted to play with their mates. It is an issue. 

Another problem is the transition between Border Amateur and EOSL / LL. There is a rule in the Border Amateurs that if you play senior football - including as a trialist, or unused sub - you are banned from the Border Amateurs for the next 15 days. (It used to be 14 days; but was presumably increased to cover Friday or Sunday games and U20s playing on Friday night). Unless you're confident of consistently getting a game for the senior team it's a discouragement to playing senior, as it's difficult to move back and forth and you have to miss 2 or 3 weekends of football whenever you move back to the amateurs. It's all the worse as most Border clubs continue to have their reserve or younger outfit operating in the form of an affiliated XI in the Border Amateurs - GFR Ams, Selkirk Vics, Coldstream Ams, etc. etc. - whereas in the central belt almost all have gone for Friday U20s all on the same registration.

Imo I have a feeling that the lowland league is turning into the haves and the have not. I feel you will see in the next few years a big gulf in trams with money and teams without....

On 18/08/2017 at 22:03, magoo said:

Imo I have a feeling that the lowland league is turning into the haves and the have not. I feel you will see in the next few years a big gulf in trams with money and teams without....

A few clubs have a bit of backing but no real gulf. It's up to clubs to shape up and do things the right way or they'll fall behind. 

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

A few clubs have a bit of backing but no real gulf. It's up to clubs to shape up and do things the right way or they'll fall behind. 

What is the right way

9 hours ago, magoo said:

What is the right way

If can create an environment where players, young players, spectators, volunteers and sponsors want to spend their time you won't go far wrong. 

43 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

If can create an environment where players, young players, spectators, volunteers and sponsors want to spend their time you won't go far wrong. 

Creating a comfortable environment and football sucsess are different things

14 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

True and nowhere did I mention comfortable environment. 

Sometimes doing and saying the correct things in football is not enough. Imo theres teams who can progress within the lowland league (very few) and there's teams that can't.thats just a harsh reality,not a fault

9 minutes ago, magoo said:

Sometimes doing and saying the correct things in football is not enough. Imo theres teams who can progress within the lowland league (very few) and there's teams that can't.thats just a harsh reality,not a fault

It helps hugely though. There's no reason why any team in the LL can't make progress if they get things right.  

It helps hugely though. There's no reason why any team in the LL can't make progress if they get things right.  

I agree rab. Look at selkirk this season as perfect example. Last couple of seasons havent looked like a team. Now with a change of manager who has brought in his own players they look like they could really push on. To say there is only a select few who can progress is wrong in my opinion. Any team in league is capable of it.

On 18/08/2017 at 22:03, magoo said:

There's a big gulf in trams at Edinburgh cooncil when they pulled the plug on them going doon leith walk :whistle

Archived