Stirling Albion Vs. Edinburgh City

Stirling Albion host Edinburgh City on Saturday, in what looks like a home banker!

Albion have started the season well, and look like they will be at the right end of the table challenging this season.

City, on the other hand, are still chasing an elusive first win of the season.

Can't see anything other than a home win here.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Stirling Albion host Edinburgh City on Saturday, in what looks like a home banker!

Albion have started the season well, and look like they will be at the right end of the table challenging this season.

City, on the other hand, are still chasing an elusive first win of the season.

Can't see anything other than a home win here.

I certainly hope so after a poor performance against Montrose in midweek we need to keep the momentum going as we visit fellow pace setters Peterhead the following week. 

Expect the Albion team to be along the same lines as last Saturday when we put 4 past Berwick. Expect City to come and defend and hope to get something on the break. 

Going on early season form (Betfred Cup included) I think we'll go into this game as big favourites, and quite rightly so.

By all accounts we were poor on Tuesday night, but you can put that down to a one off. Rightly or wrongly, there is a big reliance on Callumn Morrison & Peter Macdonald to make things happen up front, and without them, along with other changes, maybe we aren't as fluid as we would be with them in the team.

Edinburgh impressed me last season, they were organised and hard to beat, but they have lost a couple of big players and I'm not sure they have recruited as well. Moses & Verlaque will return and try and prove that Dave Mackay was wrong to discard them so quickly, but I honestly think that Mackay was right in his judgement and I doubt either of them will cause us too much bother.

The whole Craig Thomson thing will cause an uneasy feeling inside Forthbank for us fathers in the crowd with young children, no doubt it won't be an enjoyable 90 minutes in regards to the verbal abuse, but I keep my fingers crossed it will be in terms of bagging the 3 points.

2 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Hopefully another resounding home win for the Albion.

Saying that, Edinburgh are normally a tough team to beat.

Ps, Thompson is a nonce.

Thanks for telling me that, I hadn't been aware of this....

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Going on early season form (Betfred Cup included) I think we'll go into this game as big favourites, and quite rightly so.

By all accounts we were poor on Tuesday night, but you can put that down to a one off. Rightly or wrongly, there is a big reliance on Callumn Morrison & Peter Macdonald to make things happen up front, and without them, along with other changes, maybe we aren't as fluid as we would be with them in the team.

Edinburgh impressed me last season, they were organised and hard to beat, but they have lost a couple of big players and I'm not sure they have recruited as well. Moses & Verlaque will return and try and prove that Dave Mackay was wrong to discard them so quickly, but I honestly think that Mackay was right in his judgement and I doubt either of them will cause us too much bother.

The whole Craig Thomson thing will cause an uneasy feeling inside Forthbank for us fathers in the crowd with young children, no doubt it won't be an enjoyable 90 minutes in regards to the verbal abuse, but I keep my fingers crossed it will be in terms of bagging the 3 points.

Well, the Stirling fans could always not bother handing out verbal abuse. I don't see what purpose it serves and if it is upsetting kids its kind of defeating it's own point. A bit like starting a fight at a peace rally.

9 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Hopefully another resounding home win for the Albion.

Saying that, Edinburgh are normally a tough team to beat.

Ps, Thompson is a nonce.

There's no 'P' in Thomson :lol:

Speaking of Craig Thomson, a well known former resident of Ainslie Park had this to say about the City team's performance against Montrose. " Now I know Gavin Malin better than I know Lewis Allan or Ashley Grimes and for me he’s an attacking, central midfield player with a good opening stride to get away from opponents but also with the eye and the energy to go beyond the striker and get you a goal. You don’t get the best of him wide right, or left for that matter. And I thought Craig Thomson was a fullback. Don’t get me wrong he’s a tidy player as are Marc Laird and Josh Walker but they appeared to get in each others way rather than boss central midfield, Montrose had a better balance and more natural width."

Going by that advice and for the sake of the children, if Thomson makes the team on Saturday, Jardine has to play him as a fullback and preferably keep him on the East Stand side (which is closed to supporters) during both halves. That way it's harder for the fans to shout abuse at him. Gavin Malin can then take the position normally filled by Thomson in midfield where some say he's been invisible up to now and has only had one mention in match reports so far this season as far as I'm aware and even then that was just for a booking.

2 hours ago, Department S said:

if Thomson makes the team on Saturday, Jardine has to play him as a fullback and preferably keep him on the East Stand side (which is closed to supporters) during both halves.

I thought at Stirling, the away fans went in the East stand or is that wrong ? Home fans in the West stand?

I thought at Stirling, the away fans went in the East stand or is that wrong ? Home fans in the West stand?

Only teams with big enough supports get the East Stand. Youll be housed at the Monument end of the West Stand.

55 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Only teams with big enough supports get the East Stand. You'll be housed at the Monument end of the West Stand.

OK Thanks Jake!  But how do you know we're not bringing 1000 to 1500 up with us? :P

10 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I agree our recruitment seems to have been pretty poor this summer.  We had a ton of  triallists at our pre-season games but signed all the average ones, while the two best players have never been seen since.

Joe Mbu has been a MASSIVE loss for us, and has never been properly replaced. He held our defence together for years and now there's holes everywhere.

Big Craig Beattie, (when he's fit) has done very well, but if we had the money (I'd guess we don't on our crowds)  then I'd love to see us sign a more experienced centre-half in the Joe Mbu mould.

Joe Mbu has been a MASSIVE loss for us, and has never been properly replaced. He held our defence together for years and now there's holes everywhere.

I think any team at this level would have struggled to replace the big fella, even at the age of what, 36(???) he was still some player. Certainly (one of) the best Defenders in the league last season

3 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Didn't realise Marc Laird was at Edinburgh City. He played a couple seasons at English championship level didn't he? Can't even be that old - what's happened to him?

it seems that Lairdy is 31 now.  Yes he played for Millwall in the championship. He's from Edinburgh so I guess he wanted to come home.

He made a big impact on our team, when he arrived last season. One of the major reasons we went on a good run and picked up enough points.

Well, the Stirling fans could always not bother handing out verbal abuse. I don't see what purpose it serves and if it is upsetting kids its kind of defeating it's own point. A bit like starting a fight at a peace rally.

Agreed.
We're better than that. Rise above it.

Archived