Who is the best leader?

Colkitto

Who is the best leader?   

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They are both awful but I'd rather live in the USA.  There are clearly more checks and controls on the power of Trump than of Putin.  The USA is a properly federal system which means that there are limits on the power of central government.  Sadly, the state governments are fairly mental as well in many cases.

Don't think there's much equivalence here. Putin has essentially been a dictator of Russia for 20 years, murdering political opponents, robbing from the people to bribe the rich, illegally expanding Russian territory and annexing places that are "rightfully" his, contributing to a destabalised world, a 'new' nuclear arms race if it ever stopped and uncertainty across eastern Europe. 

Trump won't condemn Nazis and is a general fud, but he'll be gone in three years or less. He shouldn't invoke too much long-lasting damage (hopefully). A good comparison would be uproar about Trump not tweeting support for gay pride, while Putin literally allows vigilante groups to go around murdering gay people in Chechnya. Truly, a world of difference, albeit probably as a result of circumstance (American democratic system v make it up as you go along in Russia).

If either of them were to be dictators of a country for life, and I had to choose? Probably Putin, I guess. 

I'd rather live in America under Putin, and Russia under Putin. If Putin was President in America he'd work within the rules and conventions, he'd have to and he'd know it was in his own best interests if he wanted to get stuff done. Trump in Russia would have anyone who had ever crossed him shipped to the Gulags and he'd rob the place blind. Bit like Putin but you know Putin's not going to nuke some place because somebody laughed at him.

I'd rather live in America under Putin, and Russia under Putin. If Putin was President in America he'd work within the rules and conventions, he'd have to and he'd know it was in his own best interests if he wanted to get stuff done. Trump in Russia would have anyone who had ever crossed him shipped to the Gulags and he'd rob the place blind. Bit like Putin but you know Putin's not going to nuke some place because somebody laughed at him.

Trump would have had a polonium enema inside 2 months in Russia

Putin,

Only because of his guest appearance standing in for Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday.

59962948371ad_putinss.png.2284a91ab4df4f86a091940248b237cf.png

'Well Jeff, if I'm being honest, this Ukrainian lad West Brom have playing at left back is an absolute joke'

On 17/08/2017 at 23:24, welshbairn said:

Could we do a swap? Putin wouldn't last too long in Washington.

An American version of putin would be a humourless former CIA goon with some rich and powerful friends who'd  positioned himself to take over from a charismatic elderly president with serious mental health issues.

Basically George H. W. Bush

And your right he didn't last as long as Putin

Putin could be viewed as a Dictator as he is surrounded by sycophants who bend to his every will, the macho image he promotes in photos I find pathetic and classically symbolic of the "Emperors new clothes" where none dare tell him he is making an arse of himself, perversely, considering vast swathes of the rural country is in a poor economic state he is worth billions and could easily buy and sell Trump many many times over, how he amassed his fortune is not hard to understand and guess at.

What I always found intriguing about the then Soviet Union was that it was well known that during the cold war period their industries could not build a feckin bike that was any good but they could turn out the best armaments in the world, consider the Kalishnakov, and they turned out a nuclear sub which was three times bigger and more armed than the biggest US sub.

In ex soviet outposts like Azerbazan I noticed that there was a large part of the population who were Russian but born in that country, they are now the forgotten people as companies like BP who virtually run the country court the Azeri peoples, Kazikstan is similar.

American politics is a strange mix, they have a rolling congress in that unlike other countries which shut down governments for elections, the US congress only has elections for a percentage of the members at any one time.

Yet as in all things in the USA money is the key factor and therein lies corruption in US politics, more money means more air time and more lies against your opponent.

Many people outside the USA do not know that the only elected person in the Cabinet is the President and the rest are all presidential appointees, and therein lies the danger, where the presidents closest pal or top funder gets a top post, so the Secretary for Defence may come from a property development background or whatever and suddenly is in charge of the second largest military force on the planet and obviously he can decide where to award military contracts, scary

And the same policy goes all the way down to including presidential appointed ambassadors.

So none of the two of them are worth a feck but given the choice it would have to be Trump I suppose if only he speaks the same language, what else? 

Archived