Albion Rovers vs Airdrieonians

2 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

... but the overall performance I was struggling to give pass marks to anyone.

Trouten would get pass marks from me and I'm not sure our keeper did much wrong.

Perry scares me and is, as you say, an absolute panic merchant. The use of subs was a concern too; McMillan and McManus got less than five minutes when it was clear fresh legs were needed long before that, especially out wide.

Fair play to Airdrie though; times are supposedly hard up there at the moment but that was a well-deserved victory, and easier than they could ever have hoped for

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Airdrie1977 said:

McIntosh in particular should not be playing second fiddle to anyone.

Why? In what position is he the strongest available option? Did you watch him getting run ragged last week and then subbed after 70 minutes?

I think he can become a decent player, but have no idea why he should be above getting dropped to the bench.

Airdrie well worth the win but where is our long term thinking?
Our own players like Russell, Leighton, McLaughlin, Higgins and Truesdale completely jettisoned from the squad.
Cairns, McIntosh and Brownlie dumped on the bench.
I don't mind us improving where needed if justified,  but some of those young players didn't deserve that.  And all so we can play trialists and someone else's players.
We need to keep an eye on getting experience into our players that we will undoubtedly need next season.
McIntosh in particular should not be playing second fiddle to anyone.

McLaughlin is dreadful never a footballer for me. Higgins and Russell were injured. Not sure why Leighton wasn't on the bench strange when we only had 6 subs on it anyway.

I'm pretty sure we are obligated to play the development loan players as part of the loan agreement.

Not too sure that is the case. Remember the young lad we had on loan from St Johnston a couple of years back and he ended up spending some time on the bench if my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Why? In what position is he the strongest available option? Did you watch him getting run ragged last week and then subbed after 70 minutes?

I think he can become a decent player, but have no idea why he should be above getting dropped to the bench.

He's a superb centre half.  Where he should be playing.

10 minutes ago, Airdrie1977 said:

I would disagree with "superb". He is promising and has very good ball skills. However, he is still relatively easily pushed aside by a stronger player. I have no doubt that he will be an excellent player but not yet, regardless of position.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Note to Airdrie77:   Never argue with stupid people.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 hour ago, Airdrie1977 said:

Centre half for me is his best position however he is good in centre midfeild and at right back last week he was poor but for me thats not his best position.

I don't beleive any player within the squad is undroppable if they have had a bad game the week before.

In McIntosh defense he wasn't playing in his best position, he would have had a bigger argument if we lost but we didn't so the starting 11 coud be justified.

Who would you have left out off the starting 11 to play McIntosh.

Watching highlights Stewart was at fault for the Rovers goal as i originally thought it was McGregor tracking the player but wasn't, as said before McGregor had great second half however based on now he wasn't at fault for the first goal both McGregor and Balatoni had very good games.

Delighted to get our first three points of the season on Saturday, with a deserved win.

This game could have gone any way with the number of new players starting, however they all did a decent job. I was surprised to see Brownlie, Cairns and McIntosh dropped to the bench in favour of trialists/ loanees but can’t really complain given we won.

I’ll need to watch back the highlights but Rovers may have got something out of this game had they put away one of the few chances they got in the second half, one or two looked like sitters from where I was standing. I think Rovers will be okay this season, can’t see them having any relegation troubles. Trouten and the two forwards look like they’ll score a few goals this season.

Hopefully we can get a manager sorted out and take a bit of momentum into next week’s game against Alloa.

2 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Delighted to get our first three points of the season on Saturday, with a deserved win.

This game could have gone any way with the number of new players starting, however they all did a decent job. I was surprised to see Brownlie, Cairns and McIntosh dropped to the bench in favour of trialists/ loanees but can’t really complain given we won.

I’ll need to watch back the highlights but Rovers may have got something out of this game had they put away one of the few chances they got in the second half, one or two looked like sitters from where I was standing. I think Rovers will be okay this season, can’t see them having any relegation troubles. Trouten and the two forwards look like they’ll score a few goals this season.

Hopefully we can get a manager sorted out and take a bit of momentum into next week’s game against Alloa.

Could easily have taken a draw If one of three good chances had went in - but knowing our luck at Home v Airdrie would have scored a 93rd min winner anyway. forgot how miserable it was... 

Archived