The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

On 07/01/2018 at 01:34, lubo_blaha said:

This is of course a problem unique to Aberdeen and doesn't apply to any other club in world football who have rebuilt their main stand...

We could put down a few portacabins in the car park in for offices and dressing rooms and stick the hospitality in the Broadhill Bar. It would only be for a season, hardly the end of the world. 

14 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Seriously speaking

Hibs played in front of 3 stands for the last 5 League games of 2009-10 after bulldozing the East Stand

Hearts moved the first 5 League games of this season and that was supposedly after a series of cock ups.

So the reduced capacity problem while redeveloping the south Stand would exist for half a dozen games tops

14 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Did Hibs not play a good part of a season in the early 2000's at Easter Road whilst redeveloping the Main Stand as well?  I remember them using portacabins as changing rooms.

The other 4 of the top 5 supported clubs in the country have all played matches at home with a reduced capacity whilst their stadium is redeveloped, so to suggest its impossible for Aberdeen to do so is strange.

Add in Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle etc etc who all have far bigger demand and you realise it can be done.

What you're all ignoring is Aberdeen need to increase the footprint (so it's not just a simple case of knocking down one stand and replacing it) and the pitch would essentially need moved, probably length wise too. 

So really, you would actually be knocking two stands down at once, and they would be the main and RDS. So about 9,500 off the capacity, all of the corporate facilities, new road layout, probably a re-routing of the drainage, water pipes and underground heating, and a brand new pitch.

Aye, sounds cheap and quick to do. Let's also ignore that Aberdeen can't afford to do it. 

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Double-sized Almondvale, basically?

Right enough, every stadium with four stands and filled in corners looks like Almondvale.... 

So we play in front of a reduced capacity for 6 games while the South Stand is redeveloped over a summer time.

Are we forgetting that we’ve had about 4 weeks off for the last 4 seasons when we’ve qualified for Europe. Would UEFA allow us to host games while half the stadium is a building site? Using portakabins for changing rooms?

Do we do the same for three seasons in a row while the main stand and merkland stand are redeveloped.

Are we just giving away fans the whole of the merkland during redevelopment of the South Stand, making Home capacity something in the region of 9,000, we currently have 11,000 st holders.

As dunty says, the pitch would probably need moving as well, which even if it stays the same orientation, would put the rds out of kilter with the pitch meaning it would probably need knocked down as well.

It just cannot be financially viable. I’m not saying kingsford is 100% the correct solution but redeveloping Pittodrie certainly isn’t.

59 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

So we play in front of a reduced capacity for 6 games while the South Stand is redeveloped over a summer time.

Are we forgetting that we’ve had about 4 weeks off for the last 4 seasons when we’ve qualified for Europe. Would UEFA allow us to host games while half the stadium is a building site? Using portakabins for changing rooms?

Do we do the same for three seasons in a row while the main stand and merkland stand are redeveloped.

Are we just giving away fans the whole of the merkland during redevelopment of the South Stand, making Home capacity something in the region of 9,000, we currently have 11,000 st holders.

As dunty says, the pitch would probably need moving as well, which even if it stays the same orientation, would put the rds out of kilter with the pitch meaning it would probably need knocked down as well.

It just cannot be financially viable. I’m not saying kingsford is 100% the correct solution but redeveloping Pittodrie certainly isn’t.

Milne can just not do anything for a couple of years and then the attendance will be down to 8,500 (I know this as a fact because AFC have used it on their planning application ;)).  You can then easily redevelop one at a time.   In fact you could probably just get rid of a whole stand which will solve the run-off area issue. :lol:

So we build separate training facilities at extra expense, with no income coming from the sale of Pittodrie? All the while losing income from a reduced capacity stadium and having to lose corporate income while the main stand is redeveloped. As I’ve said. I’d love to stay at Pittodrie, it’s just not financially viable for the club anymore.

58 minutes ago, strichener said:

Milne can just not do anything for a couple of years and then the attendance will be down to 8,500 (I know this as a fact because AFC have used it on their planning application ;)).  You can then easily redevelop one at a time.   In fact you could probably just get rid of a whole stand which will solve the run-off area issue. :lol:

Judging by the replies you must have an inkling what this guy meant...

mj3b6c.jpg

18 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

So we build separate training facilities at extra expense, with no income coming from the sale of Pittodrie? All the while losing income from a reduced capacity stadium and having to lose corporate income while the main stand is redeveloped. As I’ve said. I’d love to stay at Pittodrie, it’s just not financially viable for the club anymore.

I thought they have raised over 50% for training facilities already. 

Worst case scenario: If the planning permission doesn't get the go ahead I think the plan B will be to upgrade the stadium.

5 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If Dunty doesn’t turn out to be a PR man in the pay of Stuart Milne I’ll be surprised, not shocked but surprised

Funny that eh? Imagine being in favour of a great modern stadium in a better location than now? 

If you take a gander at all the aberdeen forums, the majority are in favour.  There's one place not the case, that's here, where funnily enough, the thread is full of fans of other teams. Also funny that eh?

7 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If Dunty doesn’t turn out to be a PR man in the pay of Stuart Milne I’ll be surprised, not shocked but surprised

He wouldn’t be the only one. There’s one on here who lives four miles west of the stadium, in the countryside, who posts on here that walking to and from the stadium wouldn’t be a problem ,in all weathers on unlit roads! Then a couple of days later posts that Kingsford is nowhere near Westhill (it’s the width of a field away!)

1 hour ago, fatshaft said:

Funny that eh? Imagine being in favour of a great modern stadium in a better location than now? 

If you take a gander at all the aberdeen forums, the majority are in favour.  There's one place not the case, that's here, where funnily enough, the thread is full of fans of other teams. Also funny that eh?

Give us a couple of links to these forum threads please. I only really go to afc-chat to see Aberdeen implosions and I don't see any stadium thread on there.

33 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Give us a couple of links to these forum threads please. I only really go to afc-chat to see Aberdeen implosions and I don't see any stadium thread on there.

I'd quite like to see these links as well because I can't believe the majority of the Aberdeen support regard Kingsford as a "better location than now".

Edited by Darren

Hibs had 12,379 for a draw with Kilmarnock on jan 2nd 2001 and that was the last 5 figure attendance till about as many turned up for another draw with Killie on opening day in August 2001.

They’d played both halves of the old firm and the derby in front of relatively tiny crowds as a decent Hibs side secured 3rd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000%E2%80%9301_Hibernian_F.C._season

If the Hibs board had been a bit wiser they would have built the Stand a year later. Hibs were quite good in 2000/01 but pish the following season and ended it with Bobby Williams in the bottom six frequently pulling crowds that could have fitted into the three stands anyway.

The last game in front of the old main stand at ER was the end of February. It was ready and finished by the start of the next season. On the same footprint the capacity of that stand went from c.4k to 6.5k.

I don't doubt it would be more expensive to redevelop Pittodrie than build new and sell it off. But I also don't doubt that Pittodrie could be redeveloped comfortably if the will was there to do so. Hibs and Hearts fans have both experienced owners telling us that our stadiums were unviable, then ended up with half decent stadiums when that turned out to no longer be the case.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:
57 minutes ago, Darren said:

I'd quite like to see these links as well because I can't believe the majority of the Aberdeen support regard Kingsford as a "better location than now".

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38113904&page=140&s=21c0e9852f2fd40e61cdb7fa1971be13

Here's the Aberdeen Mad link which is pretty much against Kingsford other than a couple of fucking dumbniks who could well be posting under different names in here TBH

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You have to be a member to view the stadium thread on there.

Donstalk also have one.

36 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Seems like an odd decision. Blacking out visitors viewing threads is usually reserved for Kickback/RangersMedia meltdowns.

Certain posts in the stadium thread on AFC Chat were reported to the police when it was visible to everyone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-40999400

7 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Seems like an odd decision. Blacking out visitors viewing threads is usually reserved for Kickback/RangersMedia meltdowns.

6 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Certain posts in the stadium thread on AFC Chat were reported to the police when it was visible to everyone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-40999400

Aye afc-chat has a, um, relaxed moderation. People constantly offering to fight each other offline and others desperately trying to outdo each other with who can post the most controversial comment. Makes this place look like a church.

Donstalk is the most sensible discussion but isn't as busy. A couple of professional architects post on there though and they offer some great insight into why Aberdeen couldn't just knock up a new 20,000 stadium on the current Pittodrie footprint. 

Aberdeen-mad I think is still without a mod and is just a few old regulars refusing to let it die.