The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

One of the big arguments against redeveloping pittodrie has always been the lack of space behind the main stand to expand .

Why does it need expanding. Why can they not build a more modern stand of the same dimensions or refurbish the existing stand?

It might mean a reduce don't capacity , but build the south or Merkland Road sides bigger than they are currently.

I don't get it!

2 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

One of the big arguments against redeveloping pittodrie has always been the lack of space behind the main stand to expand .

Why does it need expanding. Why can they not build a more modern stand of the same dimensions or refurbish the existing stand?

It might mean a reduce don't capacity , but build the south or Merkland Road sides bigger than they are currently.

I don't get it!

One of the main reasons is that redevelopment of Pittodrie would require larger run-off areas around the pitch in order to be UEFA compliant (to be able to use Pittodrie for European matches). This would mean that all stands would have to be redeveloped on a  smaller footprint. Also, iirc the main stand is a listed building and so any redevelopment is highly restricted.

20 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Building regs mean u can't stuff hunners of folk into a firetrap anymore, so it would need to be bigger. Club also want more hospitality facilities.

Doesn't look like they sell out hospitality so I find that surprising. 

Not enough room for those working in the Community Trust especially as it keeps expanding they will have to look at options even before they get go-ahead in new stadium.

Edited by betting competition

12 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

They use Pitoddrie now for European games?! Not that it was many this season.

Yes but that's allowed due to a special dispensation UEFA grants clubs with old stadiums which slackens the rules somewhat. Otherwise clubs all over Europe would be forced to play their games at national/rival's stadiums. The AFC board argue that by rennovating Pittodrie, UEFA may no longer consider it an old stadium, and thereby fully enforce the rules, and Pittodrie falls short on a number of them I believe.

Edited by Illgresi

13 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Yes but that's allowed due to a special dispensation UEFA grants clubs with old stadiums which slackens the rules somewhat. Otherwise clubs all over Europe would be forced to play their games at national/rival's stadiums. The AFC board argue that by rennovating Pittodrie, UEFA may no longer consider it an old stadium, and thereby fully enforce the rules, and Pittodrie falls short on a number of them I believe.

In Europa league qualifiers in the last 5 years, Aberdeen have played in a lot worse stadiums than Pittodrie. 

11 minutes ago, betting competition said:

In Europa league qualifiers in the last 5 years, Aberdeen have played in a lot worse stadiums than Pittodrie. 

Aberdeen have played a lot worse or in a lot worse? Asking for a friend.

41 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Nobody is saying they haven't.

I think it is scare tactics from Aberdeen to get the new stadium passed. 

32 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aberdeen have played a lot worse or in a lot worse? Asking for a friend.

ooops ha ha 

We have played in some shitholes over the last 5 years although some of these trips are so well remembered:

Latvia - both grounds was very poor with no toilet facilities in the stadium (few portaloo toilets) 

HNK Rijeka - real dump had 2 portaloo toilets and tap  which you drunk out of due to them having a major heatwave going with the locals info - at least opened a shop up at kick-off which we could buy food/drinks. Sadly some bloke lost his finger during the goal celebrations

Kairat Almaty - no toliet facilities either had to go outside the ground for the toilet (typical soviet stadium). 

Luxemborg - national stadium  Stade Josy Barthel was a right dump 

Siroki Brijeg - wasn't the best for away support either but what a trip!

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Not enough room for those working in the Community Trust especially as it keeps expanding they will have to look at options even before they get go-ahead in new stadium.

They do more often than not. 

Edited by shootingboots

You’d be able to get a few rules waived because of the circumstances as happened at Tynecastle

But you will have to put up with Hibs fans prattling on about it on the internet for a long while afterwards.

7 hours ago, betting competition said:

I noticed last season there was a lot corporate boxes in the Main Stand that wasn't getting used.  Haven't looked this season :)

I generally sit in the mainer, and when not usually in the RDS, cant say I saw this last season, this season, or any season in memory.  Finding a blank box is a hen's teeth experience. 

I still can’t believe people think redeveloping Pittodrie is viable. Where would you start, the South Stand??? Takes capacity instantly down to 12,000 during redevelopment, where are we putting away fans during that time??

The main stand?? Contains all the offices, changing rooms, board room etc etc. Plus well over half of the corporate facilities.

And we’d still have to build a separate training facility without having any of the income generated from the sale of Pittodrie. Staying at Pittodrie would probably be twice as expensive as building a new stadium and training facilities without any income being brought in from the sale of the current site.

13 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You’d be able to get a few rules waived because of the circumstances as happened at Tynecastle

But you will have to put up with Hibs fans prattling on about it on the internet for a long while afterwards.

Hibs fans prattle a whole pile of shite on the internet as it is, don't think we'd notice much difference.

On 1/4/2018 at 13:44, betting competition said:

On 1/4/2018 at 15:09, shootingboots said:

They do more often than not. 

On 1/4/2018 at 16:50, betting competition said:

I noticed last season there was a lot corporate boxes in the Main Stand that wasn't getting used.  Haven't looked this season :)

21 hours ago, fatshaft said:

I generally sit in the mainer, and when not usually in the RDS, cant say I saw this last season, this season, or any season in memory.  Finding a blank box is a hen's teeth experience. 

People do realise that Kingsford actually has less boxes proposed than Pittodrie right?

Kingsford 23 boxes for 10 people (230 people)
Pittodrie 12 boxes for 10 people and 24 boxes for 8 people. (312 people)