The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Right this needs its own thread as it seems to be clogging up the Aberdeen 17-18 thread

so to recap where we are now, briefly:

- Aberdeen have formally submitted planning permission to the relevant authorities for a New 20,000 seater stadium in Kingsford, with training facilites and community buildings etc...
- The #NoToKingsford campaign is mostly NIMBYs who think the ground will cause too much traffic
- Pittodrie re-development is a non-starter due to poor decisions made in 1990s
- Aberdeen have launched the Aurora campaign (yes to Kingsford) with a snazzy looking video.
- Council will decide next month on whether to not to grant planning permission

Anything I missed out?

Edited by Marr1

7 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

A rough figure, Aye - I'm led to believe it will be expandable to 40,000 should they need it

That will only be required if we have a third round Scottish Cup replay against Hibs after a late equaliser at Easter Road...

20 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Right this needs its own thread as it seems to be clogging up the Aberdeen 17-18 thread

so to recap where we are now, briefly:

- Aberdeen have formally submitted planning permission to the relevant authorities for a New 20,000 seater stadium in Kingsford, with training facilites and community buildings etc...
- The #NoToKingsford campaign is mostly NIMBYs who think the ground will cause too much traffic
- Pittodrie re-development is a non-starter due to poor decisions made in 1990s
- Aberdeen have launched the Aurora campaign (yes to Kingsford) with a snazzy looking video.
- Council will decide next month on whether to not to grant planning permission

Anything I missed out?

What were the poor decisions?

While I understand the financial reasons for moving (selling the land to Tesco or something), I reckon it should be considered a huge mistake to move away from the city centre. Also, Kingswells is v-neck jumper-wearing volvo-driving levels of w**k, but never mind that just now. The reasons for having a good training ground are obvious, but what isn't obvious is why it needs to be right next to the stadium. Put that stuff in Kingswells. New players will love it. As said elsewhere, there does need to be transparency regarding reasons that the existing stadium can't be redeveloped (a la Tynie).

I reckon people underestimate (if they estimate at all) how much being close to the city contributes towards the atmosphere. Your identity as a fan is tied to the city of your club. It is often the celebration/reinforcement of this identity which fuels our involvement in the collective effervescence of supporting our team. In moving out the city one risks breaking these links and creating a more atomised support, just a group of individuals who buy into brand loyalty.

Imaging having that middle of nowhere disaster as your permanent new home and having to look on at what Hearts and Hibs now have in the heart of our nations historic capital. heh.png

Brutal.

Hopefully it goes ahead as the ruin it will leave Aberdeen in for years to come will be glorious.

What happen's if it doesn't get the green light?

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

While I understand the financial reasons for moving (selling the land to Tesco or something)

Mind when Aberdeen fhans used to sing about Tynecastle becoming a Tesco or flats. heh.png

How's that working out?