South Africa

tarapoa

On 2/12/2019 at 04:48, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

South Africa is dangerous. 

If you go there you will die. 

Our four "chillout" days were in what seemed a quaint fishing village with a nice beach on the Atlantic coast - accom was five star, and all seemed idyllic.

Walking around the small village, it was generally pleasant, but occasionally you would get lingering looks from some rough looking characters.

Then I read up on the place, and that a few months previous, the local restaurant owner, well-known for giving generously to the community, had been stabbed to death in his house and robbed of a few rand.

After that, found the whole place a bit unnerving as we looked out on to miles of dunes and there was no big security wall or even much sign of people guarding the place.   

Hermanus seemed far safer than this place.

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:16, spud131 said:

Planning to visit South Africa in November/December for our honeymoon. Going to do a few days in Cape Town, safari and the wine region. Anyone got any recommendations for some places near Cape Town (within an hour or two) to visit and spend a few days?

Do the Jo'burg derby if it co-incides, Kaiser Chiefs v Orlando Pirates, best atmosphere at a football game I have ever been to, and no segregation.  Over 80,000 at the game and I saw less than 10 white faces, but the banter was great.

As for Cape Town superb place, worth hiring a car and checking out the wine region.

Do the Jo'burg derby if it co-incides, Kaiser Chiefs v Orlando Pirates, best atmosphere at a football game I have ever been to, and no segregation.  Over 80,000 at the game and I saw less than 10 white faces, but the banter was great.
As for Cape Town superb place, worth hiring a car and checking out the wine region.
Cheers, we're not going to be up in Jo'burg and I don't think the other half would be happy going to a football match on our honeymoon.
We've got 3 nights booked in Franschhoek and then going to do a couple of nights down at Hermanus as well.

On 1/17/2019 at 17:16, spud131 said:

Planning to visit South Africa in November/December for our honeymoon. Going to do a few days in Cape Town, safari and the wine region. Anyone got any recommendations for some places near Cape Town (within an hour or two) to visit and spend a few days?

Went around 5 years ago, spent a bit of time in Cape Town and then done the Garden Route down to Port Elizabeth before flying up to Joburg and onto the Kruger Park. Only place I recall staying in on the Garden Route was a wee place called Wilderness. The name is very apt. Cracking for a quiet few days if you want to just switch off from the world.

Archived