Clyde vs Stranraer

Adolfo Rios

Positves. Great effort from every player on park. Mcniff the stand out. Smart goal but can be frustrating other times and like the look of Burbridge,Always wanting to take the defender on and cross...

Negs. We need an experianced CH at the back to calm things. Felt on sat if annan had bit more compsure or another 5-10 they would have scored a few like stranraer tonight, Perhaps undeserved this evening but annans For and Against last season was 61/58 & get the feeling we might have a similiar outcome in may...

Lot more positives than bad we just need a one or two in & we.ll be fine...

Foreva n eva

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crap in first half. We were rank. Go 2-0 down and then wake up. Pen and subs made a huge difference. Wallace especially was superb. He turned the game. We missed some sitters. Okoh. Blimey.. shooting practice needed.

This was, by a massive distance, Martin McNiff's best game in a Clyde shirt; an outstanding performance. He competed for everything he should have and, even better, won the lot. Easily Man of the Match. A different player.

What a hard loss to stomach though. First-half: brilliant. An extension of Saturday, really. Faultless defence. Cuddihy provided very effective cover in front of Home. Ramsay, Smart, Cuddihy and Goodwillie all irritated Stranraer. Brilliant second goal by Smart. Pleasingly fast out the traps to get our first. Before kick-off, I was glad to learn that we hadn't watered-down our side. And while I'm still pleased we didn't, we'll almost certainly pay for that on Saturday.

The game was lost by fact of some wise substitutions made by Stranraer early in the second-half. In combination, that was, with our hasty substitutions, inexperience and the unwillingness of the officials to allow us to be at all physical.

Goodwillie had a poor game. He influenced the match very little. Aside from his contribution to the first goal, he never settled-into possession and was invariably on the wrong end of a refereeing decision. His interest waned as a consequence. We'd be berating any other player - let's be honest - if their attitude changed in that way in-game.

What a difference an experienced, nimble and strong centre-midfielder would make to our team, by the way. Forget defenders for a minute. We could have the best defence in the world. But if it had to endure that much pressure as a consequence of having an unimposing midfield in front of it, it'd cave eventually. Miller and Flynn... Phh. If we'd Burbridge or Wright on ahead of Flynn we'd have had three or four, no bother.

I was sat nearby wee Gus tonight. I watched his reactions to Darren Miller's contributions carefully. Looking back at his decision to let him go, I think he found it...

pleasinggus.jpg

My thoughts on the game.

McNiff was fantastic. Man of the match. Great performance.

Smarticus scored a cracker. Missed a good chance too.

Burbidge did well when he came on and I think he deserves a chance in the next few games. He always seems to get his cross into the box and makes things happen.

Currie was daft picking up the passback. We've all seen these indirect freekicks with the entire defence on the goal line. Rarely does it result in a goal but us being Clyde, this time it did.

Referee needs to learn that ensuring 10 yards at freekicks applies to both teams.

Entertaining game, defence looked pretty much in control and we look dangerous in attack. Goodwillie and Smarticus seem to be developing a decent partnership.

I'm a wee bit worried that tonight and against Berwick we were much the better team but lost both matches.

I'm also worried that Goodwillie will pick up a sore one soon as he is obviously being targeted by the cloggers in the opposition. The referees offer him zero protection.

All in all, a good performance by Clyde.

Stranraer will struggle this season if this performance is anything to go by.

Can't add much to what people have said. Cuddihy did okay playing basically as a wing-back but he should've been moved centrally far earlier. Lowdon will need to play further forward as he'll not get in ahead of Stewart. Substitutions between the 1st and 2nd Stranraer goals cost us big time; exactly the same as the Kilmarnock game in terms of the change of shape. Burbidge ended up having a decent game and he must be ahead of Wright now as our impact sub. I can't see Aaron Millar ever being a League 2 player. Currie's distribution was absolutely top class again and for that alone he's miles ahead of Gibson. Great to see a team who are going to have 4 or 5 great chances in a game. With each passing game though it's clear we still need a centre half and midfielder to properly improve, as well as maybe a striker.

Both the penalty and pass-back looked correct to me. A pretty incensed reaction for the latter though, so hopefully there's some clarification. Ignoring those though, the referee had a shocking game. Looked like a Stranraer player kicked out at Goodwillie on the ground early on, and the non-decision late on when a Stranraer player jumped to block a free-kick and ended up only 5 yards away was one of the worst bits of officiating you'll see in a while; it wasn't a remotely difficult thing to see and decide on. The big ginger sub took a swipe at Burbidge and didn't get yellow carded. Saying all that, Clyde needed to be smarter. Every time Osolodor was pushed he just got on with it. Every time a Stranraer player was pushed they rolled around and yelped and got the free kick.

Stranraer were brutal, except for Wallace who was terrific when he came on. Sometimes you play rubbish and get a win though.

Poor performance until Clyde's second goal - which was a cracker - but thereafter we dominated. Okoh missed three sitters, and the referee missed a clear tug on his shirt in the box, so we should not have had to take this into extra time to win.

Agree with the comments about the referee. Apart from missing the second penalty he allowed persistent fouling from Goodwillie in particular to go unpunished. And he was conned many times with "head injuries". A classic "homer".

Clear why the second string guys given a start tonight are bench warmers - we were much better with Thomson, Wallace and Hamill on the park.

As for Clyde, I expect you'll have a much better season than last.

I thought, apart from 10 mins, that the defence actually played quite well. Straer put a lot of crosses into the box and we dealt with the majority of them well. For 60 minutes I couldn't see Stranraer getting a goal never mind it going to extra time

Didn't see the penalty incident, but I heard it was soft which I find hard to believe given the incredibly high standard of refereeing on show. I also wasn't convinced about the pass back either, but I would be shouting for it if it was the other way around to be fair

Absolutely gutted to have lost that game. Our tactics were good and the players gave their all. Big improvement from last season. We were by far the better team for 80 minutes of the 90. However we had a shocking spell where we lost the match and could have conceded more. Don't know what Breslin was doing for the penalty-really stupid challenge and his complete inability to win any headers led to the third goal. Couldn't see what happened when their second went in but another cross ball we couldn't deal with. The rest of the game we were excellent. Thought the midfield worked really hard. Smart and Goodie were good together. Stewart played well and Mcniff was outstanding. Burbridge also looked decent when he came on.

Good fight back from 2-0 down . Hopefully this will give the players a boost and kick start our season . Thought Anderson looked good and put in a good shift and tom Lang came on to a good game in the second half. Thought the referee was weak and let Clyde off with a lot especially goodwillie who was putting himself about a bit . Ref also missed a very clear shirt pull on okoh when he was through near the end. Also thought the Clyde players were very powder puff and rolled about like big Jessie's when barely touched but overall I was impressed with them as a team and thought they played well and also thought smarts goal was a scorcher.

I don't think Clyde fans should take the blues performance last night at face value.As Edinburgh Blue has stated this was a Stranraer side with one eye on our big game on Saturday with Ayr Utd.We have a pool of 16 players including the GK and the 4 who haven't had a game this season played last night.I am almost certain if injury free the team will revert back to the 11 who started against RR last Saturday.But fair doos to Clyde you seemed to play well in a competition which is becoming a bit of a farce.

That's not strictly true though. Yes, Stranraer made changes and, yes, perhaps the bigger game is on Saturday. However, the changes came on the back of a game we lost 3-0. Stranraer also don't have a pool of 16. Even taking Chris McGowan out (who has made an appearance), it is 17 players. I thought Clyde were unlucky last night. They certainly shaded things over the 120 minutes. Stranraer did well to get back into the game and I think there were more than a few 50/50s that seemed to go Stranraer's way. I would certainly be a bit annoyed by the referee last night. That said, I thought he got the big calls correct. I thought the penalty was a penalty and the back pass was a back pass. If you play the ball back with your foot and it is relatively close to the goalkeeper, who then picks the ball up, you run the risk of the referee deciding it was a back pass.

6 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

That's not strictly true though. Yes, Stranraer made changes and, yes, perhaps the bigger game is on Saturday. However, the changes came on the back of a game we lost 3-0. Stranraer also don't have a pool of 16. Even taking Chris McGowan out (who has made an appearance), it is 17 players. I thought Clyde were unlucky last night. They certainly shaded things over the 120 minutes. Stranraer did well to get back into the game and I think there were more than a few 50/50s that seemed to go Stranraer's way. I would certainly be a bit annoyed by the referee last night. That said, I thought he got the big calls correct. I thought the penalty was a penalty and the back pass was a back pass. If you play the ball back with your foot and it is relatively close to the goalkeeper, who then picks the ball up, you run the risk of the referee deciding it was a back pass.

16 or 17 whatever,if we had won 3-0 or lost 6-0 the Manager would still have made changes from Saturday i.e. rest players,give fringe players a chance etc etc.We probably won't win this cup and you make hee haw from takings at the gate,so why not give these there chance.We know what Aggy can do,but Okoh,Laing and Woods have played bit parts and Faz would want a look.Pretty confident as I say injuries apart the team will be the one who started against EF and RR,pretty sure this is his preferred 11.

I personally think he dropped the only defender who actually played ok against RR . I thought Lang started playing well in the second half and it should be him and neill in the middle and either Barron or Robertson at RB as Robertson was well off the boil on Saturday and although he got better as the game went on last night still isn't as steady as last season . I would rather see Thomson or aggy in the middle with bell as bell and hammil are similar players but bell is far better. I also thought okoh did ok but might be finding Scottish football a bit tougher and might need to get used to it and am pretty sure once he finds the net he will score a good few .Thought Wallace and Thomson did well when they came on . The team has far to many central midfield options and Farrell hasn't a clue who is the best pairing. I would stick with Anderson and woods on the wings though as thought they both did ok last night.

I think we'll find that the starting 11 on Saturday will be much closer to what we finished with last night than our starting lineup. Suspect the manager will take the view that everyone in the squad has now had a chance but that it's clear that some (e.g. Okoh and Woods) are squad players rather than first choices.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I think we'll find that the starting 11 on Saturday will be much closer to what we finished with last night than our starting lineup. Suspect the manager will take the view that everyone in the squad has now had a chance but that it's clear that some (e.g. Okoh and Woods) are squad players rather than first choices.

I'm hoping that the message has finally filtered through to the manager that having 1 striker up front does not fit all scenarios.

4 hours ago, Le shocolate moose said:

I personally think he dropped the only defender who actually played ok against RR . I thought Lang started playing well in the second half and it should be him and neill in the middle and either Barron or Robertson at RB as Robertson was well off the boil on Saturday and although he got better as the game went on last night still isn't as steady as last season . I would rather see Thomson or aggy in the middle with bell as bell and hammil are similar players but bell is far better. I also thought okoh did ok but might be finding Scottish football a bit tougher and might need to get used to it and am pretty sure once he finds the net he will score a good few .Thought Wallace and Thomson did well when they came on . The team has far to many central midfield options and Farrell hasn't a clue who is the best pairing. I would stick with Anderson and woods on the wings though as thought they both did ok last night.

Sorry moose,quite sure he knows his best 2 Hamill and Bell with Anderson and Thomson providing the width,Kyle Turner sitting behind Wallace,I'd be amazed if Woods plays,don't think he dropped Morgyn either,definitely looking at that Ayr game on Saturday,where he'll play I'm certain.

Archived