Scottish SPL Players

Pedantry about SPL/SPFL naming aside, there are some good young Scottish prospect playing, they just need the right coaching and the right attitude to work their way into the Scotland reckoning.  In terms of un-capped players playing in the SPFL that I think are ready to be in Scotland contention, I can only think of two and they are Callum McGregor and Graeme Shinnie.  Unfortunately Shinnie's prospects are slimmer due to the fact that he plays for Aberdeen....

In terms of potential youngsters that could one day make it, John Souttar impressed me playing under the right coaching (Robbie Nielsen) but struggled since his injury and under the wrong coaching.  Jai Quitongo at Morton also has potential if he can stay healthy, he's got a good coach at Morton and if he can keep his head on straight then he could go far.  Cammy Kerr at Dundee has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so, still needs some work but again, with the right coaching and the right attitude he has the potential to improve.  Greg Taylor at Kilmarnock has played a lot at age 19 and has impressed in the games I have seen against Celtic.  He's got a couple of strikes against him, 1) he's a left back which is a position Scotland is extremely strong and 2) the centre-halves at Kilmarnock this season are geriatric and shite which could have the potential to make the entire back four look bad.  Again, with the right coaching and the right attitude he could go far

Craig wighton (until his injury) and cammy Kerr Dundee Antony ralston Celtic has potential to be our right back Christie and wright Aberdeen look excellent this year Chris cadden of Motherwell has a chance to. McGinn of hibs already in and about the squad.

[emoji23] No chance!

Only just turned 20 and nearly 100 appearances. I think he had a chance however his injury will set him back. Generally the players that do well / have highest success rate play a 50-100 games in Scotland before earning a move- dorrans mcarthur mcarthey Snodgrass Robertson McFadden Naismith Hutton Gordon Fletcher etc a key factor is that they get games and experience. Also sometimes hard to judge as players can improve later in there careers for instance Paul Hartley was nearly 29 when he made his Scotland debut went on to make 25 appearances many people would have laughed at this when he was at faith hibs Mortan and stjohnstone

Only just turned 20 and nearly 100 appearances. I think he had a chance however his injury will set him back. Generally the players that do well / have highest success rate play a 50-100 games in Scotland before earning a move- dorrans mcarthur mcarthey Snodgrass Robertson McFadden Naismith Hutton Gordon Fletcher etc a key factor is that they get games and experience. Also sometimes hard to judge as players can improve later in there careers for instance Paul Hartley was nearly 29 when he made his Scotland debut went on to make 25 appearances many people would have laughed at this when he was at faith hibs Mortan and stjohnstone

Some of these players you mentioned, caps aside, most certainly did not have high success rates

On 15/08/2017 at 08:58, tarapoa said:

Probably quite a few of them, but Strachan will still extoll the virtues of Tom Cairney or Liam Bridcutt instead.

Tom Cairney is by far better than any midfielder currently playing in the SPFL.

All very well but you forgot one detail: he's utter gash.

Archived