Stenhousemuir VS Cove Rangers

CEMSFC

Not too sure what to expect here. Hoping for a win but we do have a tendency to take the lead and let our opponents attack, which has cost us points this season.

I am hoping we go 4 at the back, as we looked a lot more comfortable with 4 defenders instead of 5, as we had more options in midfield.

Going for a 2-0 win for the Warriors

Personally not fussed at all, a cup run would be great but I would much rather we focused on the league this season and aim to be pushing back to league 1 be it automatic or play offs.

A weakened team for me, rest the key first team players for the crucial game against title favourites Peterhead.

We don't have enough players to play a "weakened" team. We are missing three players anyway, so the team will pick itself. Given that there will be money to be made by progressing, I'm hoping we get through. We need to strengthen the squad so every little will help. 

First of all well done to Cove Rangers and the traveling support that made the long journey. All the best in the next round.

That was an absolute shambles from start to finish. Not one player worthy of pass marks.

I'm not one to have a pop at the manager and I do like Bomber but what was the game plan tonight?
It's going to be a long season of watching not very enjoyable football if long ball hit and hope is the road we are going to go down. The midfield were pretty non existent and the whole team lacked urgency. I can put up with getting beat when there's a bit of effort but there was nothing at all this evening.

I can only agree with everything Rickenbacker17 above me has written.

Cove Rangers strolled through the match, passed the ball around really well and, in the first half particularly, showed a solid offense in Paul McManus and Mitch Megginson. They were worthy winners.

Stenhousemuir were horrid. That's certainly the worst performance under Brown Ferguson's management - ugly, insipid, uninspired, bereft of creativity - and he'll need to have a long hard think about what he's doing with this team. We are not a pleasant side to watch. From the first kick to the last, almost every ball was played long in the hope Mark McGuigan could make something out of nothing, and on the rare occasions it was worked out wide, the crossing was so poor and didn't get close to a Warrior. I can't remember the Cove goalkeeper making a save. Anything shots we had on goal were off target.

Chris Smith didn't have anything to do and the Dunlop brothers, especially Ross, showed up reasonably well but the rest of the team were very poor. Jimmy Scott had a nightmare - I don't think he was fit but there was one moment in the match when he was arguing with a team-mate without realising the ball was in play, and allowed a Cove midfielder to jog right past him - Ruaridh Donaldson struggled and was caught in possession a couple of times, Ross Gilmour fell over the ball and Eddie Fearns huffed and puffed but did nothing during his infrequent raids forward.

Towards the end of the match Cove began to sit a little deeper, as teams tend to do, and what was our solution? Hit the ball longer more often. Hit it long. Get it up the park. Stick it in then mixer. See what happens. Get it up. Get it long. And not one ball stuck. We could be hitting long balls into the Cove defence until next month and we still wouldn't have scored.

That was brutal. Unless there's a drastic rethink and some new personnel arrive to strengthen the squad, we're in for a long season, make no mistake.

That was an absolute howler tonight. Completely lacking in every department. Cove were sharper, looked fitter and were pretty comfortable throughout. I was critical of our choice of tactic early on. The defence looked to play back to front from the beginning and as the game went on it became obvious why - we didn't have players of sufficient enough quality to employ any other tactic. A very worrying prospect going forward especially given the fact that our front line aren't suited to the long ball game anyway. 

I cant see how any of this will change given the limitations in the depth of squad and in the player quality.  

It's pretty depressing. Cove were awful but deserved the win. They'd struggle in league 2 but were too good for us. With the exception of the keeper (who had nothing to do really) and Ross Dunlop each and everyone of them needs a boot up the arse.

We've played seven games and drawn 2. That's relegation form. Bomber is under real pressure for the first time. We need at least two more decent player. Not squad fillers like Gilmour and Ferns, but proper quality. Still early days but these are worrying times.

I agree we did miss Paton tonight but I don't think him alone would have made to much of a difference to the result. Like you say a couple of starting 11 players are also needed.

I'm interested to hear Bombers post match interview. Against Stirling Albion and Montrose at least in both those games we played reasonable well in one half and didn't show up for the other so had something to cling onto.
I don't expect him to come out and crucify the side but I'm struggling to see how he can find any positives from tonight's performance.

We are now only 36 games away from the Lowland League. Have a disasterous season in this league and it could easily be all over.

The last 2 seasons we have put up with various excuses - it was the team he inherited, there was no money this season etc but this year it is Bomber's team and all down to him.  We knew all along pre-season that our midfield was not right and that is even more evident now that we are 7 games into the season.  Our only game plan appears to be back to front and once this is countered we are sunk. Diffcult to see a lot of positivety at the moment but at least have a plan B and when plan A is not working switch things about in a timeous manner.

Archived