Stenhousemuir -vs- Peterhead

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We could have played Xavi and Andreas Iniesta in the middle of the park on Tuesday night and we still would have bypassed them so we could bang it long at any opportunity.

I agree about Ruaridh Donaldson though - he's made two game-defining mistakes in his last two matches and seems a little off colour. What can you do, though? It would mean moving Ross Meechan to left-back and bringing in Ross Gilmour on the right, maybe. I don't know.

I just want to see something far more engaging than Tuesday night's fare. That was minging football.

It may be worth getting someone to take a look at your copy before you post because there are a lot of typos and spelling mistakes across the text. Nonetheless, your effort can't be faulted. Keep the articles coming.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who'd have thought it. Hats off to the team today, though the feck could they not have done that on Tuesday night.

Fair to the say the Peterhead back line contributed to their own downfall, but it could have been a more comfortable win than it was. I can't recall Peterhead getting behind us once despite all the intricate interplay in the midfield.

Anyway, all of a sudden life is good again.

Good to see Willis Furtado again today - unfortunately he confirmed that he is in training with Airdrie, but you just never know...

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:

Jim oot.

No chance, he's got the board in his pocket somehow or other. He should have got the bullet after a disastrous season and an embarrassing 5-1 thrashing at home by Forfar in the play-offs. He'll probably be hailed as a hero if we gain promotion out of this division - back where we started 17 seasons:angry: ago 

Really good performance today - could easily have been 5 or 6. Front 2 look a handfull, especially McGuigan. Another entertaining game to watch despite the high wind in the first half. Eddie Ferns had a couple of good runs and Blockley was unlucky early doors just after we had scored. More of the same please.

40 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

Nicki Patterson. Played for East Fife last season

27d3fd01818c7984188fba4dbdbc20ff1d9b50f0

On trial with us in pre-season, having played with us before, in the season we finished bottom. Happily, I think we decided not give him a deal this time. Nice lad, I'm sure. But he's slow, timid and exactly the sort of midfielder we don't need. And you probably don't either. Dead balls? Shots from range? Aye. Otherwise, forget it. Typical of the kind of young player that spends time in America on one of these scholarship things. Comes back, never having had a decent run in these leagues, and it's all too quick and too late for him. You've got to have about more about your game than he does to be a good midfielder here. That's my view.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

My reverse psychology worked a treat.

We are the Mighty.

Right round Peterhead you big bunch of over paid cloggers. We own you.

What was that you said about anyone who didn't think Peterhead would win the league at a canter.

Stenny really aren't that bad.

4 hours ago, Francesc Candyass said:

It may be worth getting someone to take a look at your copy before you post because there are a lot of typos and spelling mistakes across the text. Nonetheless, your effort can't be faulted. Keep the articles coming.

Dale mate, your mum's not paying good money for broadband so you can waste it on making rubbish banter accounts.

That was good fun all in, night and day compared to Tuesday's horror show against Cove Rangers, and as straightforward a victory as we're likely to see all season. Other than an uneasy 20 minutes where Mason Robertson equalised with a back-post header, Stenhousemuir were largely comfortable and won with little fuss. Fair play to the players and management for putting in a fine performance and moving on from the Challenge Cup debacle.

We really do seem to have some kind of hex over Peterhead. Their defending for all three Stenny goals was appalling, the second and third in particular, and they looked weak up front without Rory McAllister. Allan Smith and Russel McLean have their qualities but they were well marshalled by the Dunlop brothers. Big-game players like Paul Cairney had some nice touches but couldn't dominate the game and Willie Gibson was anonymous, other than a second-half free-kick that Chris Smith did well to save.

I was a huge fan of Mason Robertson during his short time at Ochilview but, his goal aside, he was poor today - he looked slow and a little heavy and I'm sure it was his mistake that allowed Mark McGuigan in to net the opener (although McGuigan deserves enormous credit for his chipped finish). Robertson's half-time replacement, Mikael Dikobo, didn't fare much better and allowed Nathan Blockley to score by failing to head a crossball clear and then falling on top of it. He's a decent dribbler, right enough, and he was very keen on carrying the ball out of defence, regardless of how many opponents were around him. Goodness knows what happened to David McCracken at Jamie Longworth's goal because there was no way the striker should have been able to get a shot away.

Stenhousemuir were good without being great and I don't think I can fault anyone. The goalkeeper and back four kept Peterhead at arm's length, Blockley and Eddie Fearns did well out wide, Mark Ferry, cumbersome as he is, made some tidy passes and interceptions and Harry Paton impressed with some nice touches and a willingness to be bold on the ball. Longworth, the man of the match, and McGuigan were very good and it's pleasing to see how well the pair have gelled as a partnership. McGuigan now has three goals in as many league games - long may it continue.

Of course, this won't count for anything if we don't go to Clyde and win next week. We have to use today's match as a springboard and perform to the same level at Broadwood and everywhere else. I would imagine Stirling Albion, Montrose and Peterhead, the sides we've taken on thus far, are three teams likeliest to occupy play-off places and, the second half against the Binos aside, we've done okay against them. We're still short in numbers (and I don't think Nicki-with-an-"i" Paterson is the answer) but if we can add to the squad we might be in with a decent shout. Young Willis Furtado was watching the game and it would be fantastic to see him back at the club. He's a real maverick and could offer us an x factor we're badly missing.

No Rory, no glory. Well done Stenny once again for raising your game against us. We really are fed up with our appalling record against you. Surely we must beat you at Balmoor this season. The attendance on the BBC website is 220! Is this a record low? There was very few Peterhead fans at the game but Stenny deserve to have more than this watching them.

Was a strange game for me. Although I'm absolutely delighted with the three points I can't help but wish that Stenhousemuir were quicker and better passing on the ball the way Peterhead showed up until the last 20 yards anyway.

Yet we got the win and it's hard to criticise. Form front to back compared to Tuesday evening the performance was night and day. More energy, defensively I don't think Chris Smith had to much to deal with. Harry Paton done well Nathan Blockley not only got a goal but also looked pretty solid. Like I said earlier I fancy the front two of McGuigan and Longworth to get goals, was great to see both on the scoresheet.

A special mention to Jamie Longworth today thought he was excellent.

Need to build on this win next week against Clyde. What a difference a win makes.

Guest TOPFITTER

The only people who deserve credit from Peterhead FC's perspective are their fans who made the effort to attend and stay and watch that eye-bleedingly insipid and gutless performance. Three personal defensive cock-ups gifted a fighting Stenny a well deserved win, they were the only team that turned up to win a game of football. This game was arguably worse than the horsing Dunfermline AFC handed out a few weeks ago. These players have to realize they have to win the WAR first before other teams let them turn them over.

What was up with Rory?

Not sure. He played 30 minutes on Tuesday so can only imagine it was a pulled muscle or something. He is rarely injured though so hopefully bounce back.

Eta website says Hamstring injury.

Archived