Stenhousemuir -vs- Peterhead

It's League 2's heavyweight encounter as Stenhousemuir entertain title favourites Peterhead at Ochilview on Saturday. While the Warriors are short in bodies and have yet to get going, the Blue Toon have assembled a fearsome squad that should win the division before May. Although Stenny largely had the upper hand against Peterhead in League 1 last season, boyding them in three of their four meetings, things are very different this time around and it's hard to see beyond an away win.

I don't know how we're looking in terms of personnel but I'd like to see us stick to the 4-4-2 formation we finished the weekend's game with. The back four - the Dunlop brothers in the middle flanked by Ross Meechan and Ruaridh Donaldson - look far more comfortable in this system than they do squashed together in the 3-5-2 and Jamie Longworth and the excellent Mark McGuigan have formed a solid partnership up top. There are concerns about the midfield, however, and it's a big oversight to have started the season with no natural wide players, while we're yet to find the right balance in the middle and select a player who can get the best out of the talented (but lightweight) Harry Paton. I'm not sure Mark Ferry or Nathan Blockley are the answer.

I think we might line up with:

- Mark McGuigan - Jamie Longworth -

- Eddie Fearns - Mark Ferry - Harry Paton - Nathan Blockley -

- Ruaridh Donaldson - Mick Dunlop - Ross Dunlop - Ross Meechan -

- Chris Smith -

The head says we'll put up a decent fight but lose, but the heart says we can take something from this. Why the heck not!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It's League 2's heavyweight encounter as Stenhousemuir entertain title favourites Peterhead at Ochilview on Saturday. While the Warriors are short in bodies and have yet to get going, the Blue Toon have assembled a fearsome squad that should win the division before May. Although Stenny largely had the upper hand against Peterhead in League 1 last season, boyding them in three of their four meetings, things are very different this time around and it's hard to see beyond an away win.

I don't know how we're looking in terms of personnel but I'd like to see us stick to the 4-4-2 formation we finished the weekend's game with. The back four - the Dunlop brothers in the middle flanked by Ross Meechan and Ruaridh Donaldson - look far more comfortable in this system than they do squashed together in the 3-5-2 and Jamie Longworth and the excellent Mark McGuigan have formed a solid partnership up top. There are concerns about the midfield, however, and it's a big oversight to have started the season with no natural wide players, while we're yet to find the right balance in the middle and select a player who can get the best out of the talented (but lightweight) Harry Paton. I'm not sure Mark Ferry or Nathan Blockley are the answer.

I think we might line up with:

- Mark McGuigan - Jamie Longworth -

- Eddie Fearns - Mark Ferry - Harry Paton - Nathan Blockley -

- Ruaridh Donaldson - Mick Dunlop - Ross Dunlop - Ross Meechan -

- Chris Smith -

The head says we'll put up a decent fight but lose, but the heart says we can take something from this. Why the heck not!

As usual with Peterhead, it all depends which head McAllister has on. He can win or lose a game singlehandedly.

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

As usual with Peterhead, it all depends which head McAllister has on. He can win or lose a game singlehandedly.

He was absolutely junk against us last season and was red carded in the 3-1 win at Ochilview in March. He looked bored and fed up but, judging by the way he's acquitted himself to the new campaign, he seems to have the fire in his belly again.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He was absolutely junk against us last season and was red carded in the 3-1 win at Ochilview in March. He looked bored and fed up but, judging by the way he's acquitted himself to the new campaign, he seems to have the fire in his belly again.

That's Rory. When he's on his game he'll be unplayable at our level, but he's just as likely to throw a fit and fall out with his own team.

Should be good game.

Hope I don't upset anyone but I am afraid Rory has had a great attitude and work rate in all his games so far this season! But he always feeds of the team so if we have a stinker on Saturday then that might change. Jim has said he is playing a weakened 11 tomorrow so I expect we will be taking Stenny seriously and not getting carried away with our own hype.

We failed to beat Stenhousemuir last season which ensured our relegation so we really have to improve on that record. If Rory maintains his current form we have a great chance of maintaining our 100% start to the season. Stenny will fancy their chances after having the upper hand in previous meetings and Nathan Blockley will be keen to do well against us after being freed. A draw would probably suit both teams. Looking forward to a good game.

Really hope we line up with a back 4, looked far more impressive than when we've played with a back 5. Midfield is an obvious concern but McGuigan and Longworth have started the season well. Hoping we can get at least a point. 

Spoke to Bomber briefly back at the club and he seemed to think we will naturally go back to a back 4 without Marsh.

Don't see us getting much on Saturday to be honest. We desperately need some additions to the squad.

26 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

So lads, after Tuesday night's debacle, how many goals do you reckon Peterhead will take off us tomorrow? Two, maybe three? Four? Five?

I'll see you all there!

No need to be pessimistic. We still have a chance if we can actually play well for once.

Going for a 2-2 draw

Although it didn't happen on Tuesday, with McGuigan and Longworth up top I do go into the games thinking we will score. I do feel we have goals in that pairing.
My concern is that so fair this season we have found ourselves ahead against QotS, Albion Rovers, Stirling Albion (twice) and Montrose and not managed to see the game out.

Most will agree that Peterhead are the strongest side in the league and after Tuesdays performance especially I can't see us do to much.
Would be happy with another point but can't see it.
Stenhousemuir 1-2 Peterhead

Paton will come back in to the team which will make a big difference. I worry about Donaldson. Visibly lacking in confidence but I don't think we have an alternative to him. 

I'm sure we won't be as uninspiring as we were on Tuesday but it will be a tough match. It's a big game for us and for Bomber. 

8 minutes ago, Neilly said:

We will get pumped I'm not sure why we are all kidding ourselves on here.

Have faith in your team. If anyone is going to beat Peterhead, Stenny must be one of the favourites. I am hoping to see an away win here for the first time in a while.

19 hours ago, beaver1 said:

Paton will come back in to the team which will make a big difference. I worry about Donaldson. Visibly lacking in confidence but I don't think we have an alternative to him. 

I'm sure we won't be as uninspiring as we were on Tuesday but it will be a tough match. It's a big game for us and for Bomber. 

We could have played Xavi and Andreas Iniesta in the middle of the park on Tuesday night and we still would have bypassed them so we could bang it long at any opportunity.

I agree about Ruaridh Donaldson though - he's made two game-defining mistakes in his last two matches and seems a little off colour. What can you do, though? It would mean moving Ross Meechan to left-back and bringing in Ross Gilmour on the right, maybe. I don't know.

I just want to see something far more engaging than Tuesday night's fare. That was minging football.

Archived