Arbroath v East Fife

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry lack of homework about other teams on your league, how do you set up against a team if you dont know how good they are

It's just praise really and interview bullshit. Nobody including East Fife fans would've came away from that game thinking that they were good. East Fife will have much better games and performances, as will we. It was genuinely pub league defending for a half each from both teams.

Hutton had a mare but your keeper did a wee bit too I thought. Had 2 really good saves though to be fair.

There was a few minute spell in the game where your keeper kicked it straight to us from out his hands, we attacked, it got cleared to your player out right who launched it vertically in the air which landed back in your box thanks to the wind, a wee scramble, keeper gets it.... Ball goes out to Docherty (what a wee cheat he is btw) not long after and Docherty puts Swankie in 1 on 1.

Most of our similar stuff is there for all to see on they highlights.

Photographs from today's match - https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/albums/72157684291746412

I'm not sure how Kieran Miller wasn't sent off today! He chopped down McCord in the first half which resulted in Goodfellow making a brilliant save pushing the ball onto this post, then after a push on Yule https://youtu.be/-a6VncbAWig?t=656 he went in with his head, which is why Hammy got angry and involved, all behind the referee's back, then when Denholm scored he seemed to bring down Hamilton again which then led to handbags with Hammy and Duggan.  Hammy and Duggan got cards, Miller escaped.  

36509173002_e9b1554236_k.jpg

Hutton to blame for 2 goals but Yule partly to blame for 2nd, 

Could of actually won it in 2nd half but just one of them days, pressure kind of dwindled away towards end, Subs kinda stopped our momentum and a bit of time wasting from east fife ( ref allowed so fair play to them, I'd expect my team to do same ) 

Hutton to blame for 2 goals but Yule partly to blame for 2nd, 
Could of actually won it in 2nd half but just one of them days, pressure kind of dwindled away towards end, Subs kinda stopped our momentum and a bit of time wasting from east fife ( ref allowed so fair play to them, I'd expect my team to do same ) 

3 things wrong with the 2nd goal, poor pass from Yule, poor defending from Hammy and poor goalkeeping from Hutton

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Linn done nothing, every cross he put in was a bad one

Incredible shout that - one which I could not disagree with more. Watch the highlights, which show him putting half a dozen good crosses into the box to create chances, and he also somehow manages to set Danny Denholm up for our second goal with an inch perfect 'bad' cross. I actually thought it was one of Bobby's better games in the last few weeks, it's just a shame he's obviously struggling with the injury he's carrying.

In terms of David Hutton, I think he's performed well so far and is a different type of keeper to Ricky Gomes. Hutton commands his box far more and almost plays like a sweeper keeper at times, but when someone plays like that a mistake like yesterday is always just around the corner. After seeing the first couple o games he played I felt it was simply a matter of time until something like that happened, as he loves to come off his line and sweep up outside the box and claim anything that goes in the box. There's been a few instances when he's got lucky from rashly coming out for things, one example was on Tuesday night, so I'm not surprised at all with how the 3rd goal ended up.

Yesterday, there is no getting away from the fact both our full backs were absolutely woeful, especially in the first half. Hammy has had several poor games in a row and really needs to step it back up to his usual solid, consistent performances we know he is capable of. Frustratingly due to us still not having any defensive cover whatsoever on the left hand side there is no-one who can come in for a game or two and no-one pushing him for the jersey. In terms of playing Whatley at right back instead of Gold, as I said during the week it seemed obvious to me this is what Dick would try to do in order to shoehorn Whatley, McCord, Yule and Swanks into the same starting line up. It's very unfortunate on David Gold, and if you look at his last few games which Dick has described as being 'poor form' and compare them to Whatley yesterday there is only one player who should be starting at right back next week. Unfortunately Blair Yule made a couple of mistakes yesterday and it may be him who drops out next week for Whatley to come back into the centre of the park. The main issue with Whatley at right back was his positioning, and his absolutely AWFUL distribution. With Mark Whatley at right back, he needs to distribute the ball further than the 10/ 15 yard passes he plays (and plays very well) in the centre of the park tidying things up and keeping the ball moving. Suddenly he's trying to play 40/ 50 yard passes down the touchline and into Doris and in my opinion he simply doesn't have the passing ability to do that over the longer distance. He also offers far less of an overlap than David Gold.

In terms of the shape of the team/ Swanks positioning yesterday I totally agree with what has been said regarding the first half bypassing him as he needed to be 10 yards further back, and the second half bypassing him as he needed to be 10 yards further forward. Anyone who is surprised by Dick's team selections/ tactics is either posting from the womb or been living under a rock since their birth in my opinion, this is always how Dick has been and that will not change. As I have said countless times, we have a superb squad overall but it all depends on how we utilise them on a Saturday, and a few questions are quite rightly being asked about yesterday.

Overall while certain players/ decisions yesterday were poor, I'm still not worried at all. A draw would definitely have been a fair result yesterday, we still created plenty of chances which is important and it was simply individual errors which cost us. There is room for improvement all over the park, and even if this improvement didn't come we would, at absolutely worst, finish mid table in my opinion which would be a tad disappointing but far from a disaster.

Finally - it worries me slightly that I appear to know more about East Fife and their threats than our own management/ players. I'm fairly certain Dick has in the past said we don't really bother scouting the opposition and just play our own game (I think it was mentioned at the AGM, or a meet the manager thing with Pink?) and that simply shouldn't be the case. Why the f**k are we surprised that a team that just missed out on the play offs last year and contain 3/4 excellent individual players are going to give us a hard game? Do we naively think that just because we have an excellent squad on paper we'll just turn up and walk our home games? :blink: 

Might be right about Millar but from our camera angle it is clear Hamilton started the incident on way out from second goal by barging Millar. Hamilton shouldn't even have been on the park at that point, he had already committed 6 fouls three of which should have warranted a yellow. Still if Nathan Flanagan was running at me full pelt I think I would have mare too! In fairness I didn't think O'Brien's challenge was a foul never mind a yellow!

Also thought Doris was excellent throughout, a handful for any defence!

50 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Finally - it worries me slightly that I appear to know more about East Fife and their threats than our own management/ players. I'm fairly certain Dick has in the past said we don't really bother scouting the opposition and just play our own game (I think it was mentioned at the AGM, or a meet the manager thing with Pink?) and that simply shouldn't be the case. Why the f**k are we surprised that a team that just missed out on the play offs last year and contain 3/4 excellent individual players are going to give us a hard game? Do we naively think that just because we have an excellent squad on paper we'll just turn up and walk our home games? :blink: 

I get the point that we don't scout, but there is four in our management team, could John Ritchie not scout on a Saturday, surely his work is done on the training field

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

There is room for improvement all over the park, and even if this improvement didn't come we would, at absolutely worst, finish mid table in my opinion which would be a tad disappointing but far from a disaster.

I think Arbroath will be fine this season on the basis of yesterday's game. like you say, certainly shouldn't be overly worried about relegation and there's no reason they shouldn't be looking at a play-off place. I think there's a 'middle clump' of teams who're probably not much better or worse than each other so should be another fairly big scramble.

Fairly unanimous in agreement over Linn in the two groups of folk I stood with spoke with. Poor game. I love him but I think he's off form the now and not surprised to see you say he's carrying an injury.. Would play Kader.

Simon if you genuinely believe you know more about EF than our management or players then you've had way too much Lambrini

Archived