Arbroath v East Fife

Dick Campbell said after the game he was surprised how good East Fife were, he didn't think they were as good as that! What a weird thing to say!

Getting to be a habit DC praising the opposition, Edinburgh amongst others last season. He should be looking at where we went wrong. That first half was atrocious, couldn't find each other with a pass and generous to a fault at the back. Great attempt to claw the game back in the second half but the game is TWO halfs. It's still early tho and lots of points to pick up. Ayr next week will be a real test. Gotta be up for it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Could've scored a load in the second

Possibly the 2 worst defensive performances this year, brutal game but plenty happening

Wonder if DC will drop Hutton after that

Wonder if DC will drop Hamilton and Whatley after that!!!

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Thought Denholm was class. Ricky wasn't himself today in my opinion, Tam played well minus the incredible goal he scored. Hammy was well below his usual, Whatley done a job but I'd prefer seeing Gold there. Yule was ok really bad pass for the second, McCord decent, Linn very quiet and pretty poor, Swankie ok, showed some nice touches. Hutton had a bit of a mare.

Really not looking forward to seeing that 3rd goal again. Have nightmares over it, Jesus f**k.

I must have been at a different game! I am sure I presented my Arbroath FC season card at the turnstile at Gayfield, but it must have been somewhere else.

Denholm was far from class. Not bad, but only average. Ricky with TOB kept the score down to 3 because of the ineptitude of the 2 full backs. Yes Hammy was below par but how you think Whatley did a job is beyond me. He was shocking from the first whistle. You could say he did a job if that job was failing to mark, tackle or pass to a team mate. He is as much a Right Back as Dick Campbell is a diplomat! Linn was far from poor. He got behind their  full back time and time again, and put good crosses in. There was almost a repeat of the goal against Airdire from a brilliant Linn cross. Swankie OK!!!! FFS he was a passenger in the first half and a complete waste of a starting place. Yes Hutton had a mare.

Not happy that we conceded 3 goals and gave away 3 points at home, but 3 (no 4) really poor defensive errors cost us the game. In spite of my criticism above, I still felt that Arbroath were the better side, with the better chances and better possession. 

I am not going to knock DC three games into a season after he won us the league last year, but I do worry about his blind faith in some of his favourite players who get a game based on reputation.

Frustration was the order of the day!
Nearly dropped my pies at 3.01 but great cross from Duggan (I think) and one of those things.
Thought Doris took his goal really well with the EF defence napping then bullied off the ball.
EF 2nd came from a bad pass and looked like a well hit shot from where I was standing.
EF third, the less said the better.

To be fair could have been 5 by half time, EF missed sitter and looked like a decent penalty claim.

Was still convinced AFC could get something from the game if an early goal was forthcoming.
Could and probably should have had two or three in the second half but EF still looked dangerous on the break.

Swankie really frustrating, Doris should have done better with through ball in second half and McCord unlucky not to get on the score sheet.
Agree Linn was fairly anonymous, would like to see him and DD (who had a reasonable game) switch wings more often.

Surprised not to see a red card for both sides..... 10 men each and a 5-5 draw would have been fair.

And I agree with Dick, EF were better than I expected too. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Swankie really got caught in a positional no-mans land for most of the game playing off Doris.

He wasn't deep enough when we were against the wind in the first half and were outnumbered in midfield and then in the 2nd half he should have been playing much higher up the pitch.

Yule had one of his poorest performances - Whatley has his critics but when in midfield he puts in the graft that allows his partner to perform be it McCord or Yule.

As for the full-backs today, the less said the better. Awful.

Gayfield fast becoming a happy hunting ground for East Fife 3 victories and a draw in our last 4 visits. Always good to get one over our fellow Fifer Dick Campbell. When the seasons fixtures were released I would have taken your hand off for 2 wins out of 3. Pleasing to know that we still have our best and most influential players in Kevin Smith and Jonathon Paige returning from injury. Next Saturday can't come soon enough and I hope all fellow Fife fans go out and buy a ticket and get right behind Darren and the boys.

The wind definitely ruined the game in one sense but it was great entertainment. We could could have been 4 or 5 up by half time but equally, Arbroath could have win the second half by a barrow load. I think our defence just held up a bit better under the inevitable wind-assisted barrage.

Great battling performance from us today. Goodfellow was fantastic.

30 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The wind definitely ruined the game in one sense but it was great entertainment.

That wasn't wind!! Pretty breezy at times but not what we call wind. 

I think its time gomes was put back in the sticks to say the least.

Gold is our rb, not sure why he felt the need to change it other than to fit whatley in. Hamilton has been poor since he was moved to lb, im hoping he will just take a few games to adapt back to that position.

As for midfield/up front i cant help but feel dick is disturbing the formation purely to fit gav in.

I must have been at a different game! I am sure I presented my Arbroath FC season card at the turnstile at Gayfield, but it must have been somewhere else.
Denholm was far from class. Not bad, but only average. Ricky with TOB kept the score down to 3 because of the ineptitude of the 2 full backs. Yes Hammy was below par but how you think Whatley did a job is beyond me. He was shocking from the first whistle. You could say he did a job if that job was failing to mark, tackle or pass to a team mate. He is as much a Right Back as Dick Campbell is a diplomat! Linn was far from poor. He got behind their  full back time and time again, and put good crosses in. There was almost a repeat of the goal against Airdire from a brilliant Linn cross. Swankie OK!!!! FFS he was a passenger in the first half and a complete waste of a starting place. Yes Hutton had a mare.
Not happy that we conceded 3 goals and gave away 3 points at home, but 3 (no 4) really poor defensive errors cost us the game. In spite of my criticism above, I still felt that Arbroath were the better side, with the better chances and better possession. 
I am not going to knock DC three games into a season after he won us the league last year, but I do worry about his blind faith in some of his favourite players who get a game based on reputation.

'Better side?' .. called myopia.

Linn done nothing, every cross he put in was a bad one, their LB had an easy game. Denholm gave his fullback way more problems. Ricky also way below his usual self. Missed/poor headers and poor distribution all day.

We were the better side in the second half but we were absolutely stinking in the first. Other way round for East Fife.

No way would I say we were the better team overall though, maroon tinted glasses I think.

We are better than that.

Archived