Dundee United v Cowdenbeath

The Minertaur

45 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

AFAICS it's your lowest verifiable since 1974 and 4th lowest since WWII, excluding half-a-dozen Forfarshire Cup ties.

Yeah it is been going through the DUFC Archive to check - mind a lot of those were 3pm kick-offs on weekdays

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

First half nothing happened.

Second half we took control and had a good few chances. Thought everyone played well and pleased to see some young lads get good game time.

Did Cowden play alright?  From 6-1 to 4-1 to 2-0.  #progress

30 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Played well first half nothing in it. United had all the play in the second half. If only we had converted the chances we had in the first half things might have been much different. United's Fraser is a class act and their best player by some way, we had difficulty with him all game. Enjoyed it, feeling much better about our prospects this season. We do need someone who can put the ball in the net though, can't see us ever scoring many in a game.

10 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Played well first half nothing in it. United had all the play in the second half. If only we had converted the chances we had in the first half things might have been much different. United's Fraser is a class act and their best player by some way, we had difficulty with him all game. Enjoyed it, feeling much better about our prospects this season. We do need someone who can put the ball in the net though, can't see us ever scoring many in a game.

We've only got Muirhead and Morris up top really.  Muirhead can't be expected to lead the line himself at his age every week and Morris seems to be lacking in fitness.  Can imagine a loan striker coming in (hopefully!)

That was as positive a first half display as I have seen in a while from Cowden. The young lad connelly is a top prospect and to me should remain in the 1st team squad even though only 16 he lead the line well and created openings for himself against an experienced centre half in paul quinn. The lads had good shape and in brad smith we also have found a real good player there.

Cammy one on one against defenders he is so so good. He is a top prospect too and this team will only get better. Will we win our leage NO but if we keep this team together for a full season or 2 and good things can happen. Impressed with the lads and what Billy has done. The excellent pitch helps us too when trying to play and I think our players will play better away from CP this season to be honest. 

Fraser was top drawer for Utd. Bit of naiveity from Swann in the first goal. Should have played a long ball but mistakes will happen from young players.

Happy to see pyper and rumsby have good games too. Pyper has came on a lot already and is an organiser need boys like that in your team sometimes.

a lot to be positive about with this team. An experienced front man or centre mid would be ideal. 29-33 age bracket..

mone the cowden

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

We've only got Muirhead and Morris up top really.  Muirhead can't be expected to lead the line himself at his age every week and Morris seems to be lacking in fitness.  Can imagine a loan striker coming in (hopefully!)

From what I've seen Morris won't get many games, sorry. Robby could have scored a couple again last night, just can't put his chances away. A decent striker will be almost impossible to get as most teams need one.

34 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

From what I've seen Morris won't get many games, sorry. Robby could have scored a couple again last night, just can't put his chances away. A decent striker will be almost impossible to get as most teams need one.

In the fleeting moments I've seen Morris he hasn't offered much but he missed most of pre-season I believe so may take a while to get up to scratch.  I really rate Muirhead - but he's young and will go games without scoring and then have a purple patch no doubt.  He took his goal against United well last time.

42 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Josh missed out on most of the preseason and has been carrying an injury since the Dunfermline game. He is only resuming training again tomorrow and so needs some time and games

100%. Its pretty much all league business now with scottish cup looming. any room in budget for a player or two??

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

The 4-1 was against a much stronger United side. United made 10 changes from the weekend's game bringing 7 teenagers, 4 of whom were making their debuts and only 1 of whom had ever started a game previously. It was essentially a development squad side with a few senior players getting match practice. Even with all those changes United won at a canter and should probably have added a few more goals in the second half.

Sorry.

22 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

The 4-1 was against a much stronger United side. United made 10 changes from the weekend's game bringing 7 teenagers, 4 of whom were making their debuts and only 1 of whom had ever started a game previously. It was essentially a development squad side with a few senior players getting match practice. Even with all those changes United won at a canter and should probably have added a few more goals in the second half.

Sorry.

...and if there's any children reading this, Santa Claus isn't real.

Sorry.

Yes but Cowden had 4 players out injured, one suspended and one recalled to play in Hibs under 20s - average age of team was 20 and two of them had only made a single start for the club.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes but Cowden had 4 players out injured, one suspended and one recalled to play in Hibs under 20s - average age of team was 20 and two of them had only made a single start for the club.

And so what have we learned from this exercise?

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

That it is tough for part time clubs to play a lot of games v full timers early in a season. And the players who made the difference yesterday were the more experienced ones.

This all seems rather unnecessary. You chaps would probably feel a lot better not comparing your team to United/United's reserves. Maybe start with East Fife and then take it from there.

14 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

This all seems rather unnecessary. You chaps would probably feel a lot better not comparing your team to United/United's reserves. Maybe start with East Fife and then take it from there.

Our team had a school kid up front against 2 decent players and he done very well against them and at times made quinn look very average. We created 3very good chances 1st half and maybe a half chance. 2nd half you stepped it up. We aint comparing against you but we put a good show on and with the shape and discipline of the team and based on the last 12 months our performance against those last 12 months was very positive.

Some of your young players are not as good as some of ours based on that performance.

Although the lad got 2 goals for you he looks bang average and I dont think he will do much for you in the championship let alone premiership once you are promoted.

Fraser was class. Flood looks like his legs will be done in the next 12 months and keatings didnt really spark anything.. apart from last 25 mins when our players naturally tired quicker than yours.

Archived