Pars v Arbroath - Return of the Dick

Accidental fouls should not receive a red card under current rules.

Not relevant because the evidence shows it was not accidental. Regardless is this yet another change in the laws that's come in this season? As far as i am aware, preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity is only not a red if it is is accidental and a penalty is awarded.
because in that instance, the clear goalscoring opportunity is deemed to be reinstated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I'm fully supportive of the Arbroath fans getting upbeat about their performance, worth mentioning it was genuinely against a reserve side knowing they had a man advantage. I'm not sure if either side will have learned much, which is a shame really.

Does it really matter. I looked at the Dunfermline line up and knew every single player near enough.

Murdoch, Williamson, Talbot, Callum Morris, Mike Paton, Andy Ryan and Fraser Aird are still good players and although they might not be starting just now it wouldn't surprise me if they were at some point.

It was a strong subs bench aswell. Declan McManus, Callum Smith (who looked terrific on Saturday) and Nat Wedderburn all coming on.

I don't get what point you're trying to actually make. You'd probably class your star players as Cardle and Higginbotham (?) who never featured but that was still a strong team so if we played well (couldn't make it) then why not be positive.

We were down to 10, the main positive is Swanks and McCord getting a good run about from our side.

Does it really matter. I looked at the Dunfermline line up and knew every single player near enough.

Murdoch, Williamson, Talbot, Callum Morris, Mike Paton, Andy Ryan and Fraser Aird are still good players and although they might not be starting just now it wouldn't surprise me if they were at some point.

It was a strong subs bench aswell. Declan McManus, Callum Smith (who looked terrific on Saturday) and Nat Wedderburn all coming on.

I don't get what point you're trying to actually make. You'd probably class your star players as Cardle and Higginbotham (?) who never featured but that was still a strong team so if we played well (couldn't make it) then why not be positive.

We were down to 10, the main positive is Swanks and McCord getting a good run about from our side.

Agree with this guy. We were one player away from being our first choice back 5 (including keeper). Paton has started most games, Aird won't have been signed to be a reserve player - although, he was awful last night. Hopkirk has been starting lately, so not a 'reserve' player.

We should have destroyed a 10 man part-time team, with the players we had out there, but didn't. Their fans have every right to be pleased with their performance, regardless of how poor we were.

Don't understand the complaints about their red card, from a lot of their fans. Hopkirk got goalside, defender was pulling his shirt and ended up pulling him down. Even if it had been 'accidental' contact (which it wasn't), it's still a red card outside of the box. The picture from last night, shows the clear pull of the shirt, which is obviously what the linesman saw. Stupidity from their defender.

Duthie's red card was even worse though, in terms of stupidity and he may have cost himself any small chance he had of breaking into the team, should Talbot/Williamson get injuries/suspensions.

Just me that quite likes Splaine then? I like the role he played last night, sitting deeper in the midfield and was quite happy to take the ball from just outside our 18-yard box and carry it out of defence, it allowed Paton to sit slightly higher and by having a CDM carry the ball out of the back 4, our defenders weren't dragged out of position. He also picked out some nice diagonal passes (with both feet) as well as some neat passes in the final third. 

Apart from his red card, I also thought Conner Duthie had a good game. A particular shame for both of those players that we don't have a development squad. 

Just me that quite likes Splaine then? I like the role he played last night, sitting deeper in the midfield and was quite happy to take the ball from just outside our 18-yard box and carry it out of defence, it allowed Paton to sit slightly higher and by having a CDM carry the ball out of the back 4, our defenders weren't dragged out of position. He also picked out some nice diagonal passes (with both feet) as well as some neat passes in the final third. 
Apart from his red card, I also thought Conner Duthie had a good game. A particular shame for both of those players that we don't have a development squad. 

I don't think you're alone particularly but probably in the minority! I hadn't seen Splaine before so I was looking forward to seeing him play, but about the first thing he did last night was play a square/backwards pass in his own defensive third that put the centre halves under immediate pressure. He did drop deep to get the ball which was good, and he did play a few nice diagonal balls but far too often he gave it away, overhit it, gave a few hospital passes etc. Also thought Duthie had a nightmare before the red card tbh.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I don't think you're alone particularly but probably in the minority! I hadn't seen Splaine before so I was looking forward to seeing him play, but about the first thing he did last night was play a square/backwards pass in his own defensive third that put the centre halves under immediate pressure. He did drop deep to get the ball which was good, and he did play a few nice diagonal balls but far too often he gave it away, overhit it, gave a few hospital passes etc. Also thought Duthie had a nightmare before the red card tbh.

Really? I thought he showed some good touches, he was more promising in attack than Martin and, to an extent, Talbot IMO.

Archived