#Sonshamers v Sons

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The midfielders did well but for me Callum Fordyce was again outstanding today, not just because he scored. He has been a terrific signing.

I got the impression for Pars fans who posted that Fordyce was a very decent player but had had issues with injury.

Have to say I was concerned that we let both Dowie and Higgins go but so far so good in terms of the defence.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt for me, my MOM today was Callum Fordyce he has tightened up the defence and has now scored 3 games in a row. So far he has shown why Naysmith moved for him quickly when he was released from the pars.

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

No doubt for me, my MOM today was Callum Fordyce he has tightened up the defence and has now scored 3 games in a row. So far he has shown why Naysmith moved for him quickly when he was released from the pars.

He didn`t score against Airdrie albeit 3 other defenders did.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The midfielders did well but for me Callum Fordyce was again outstanding today, not just because he scored. He has been a terrific signing.

Wouldn't disagree with that, although Brownlie was solid again also. Apart from a miscued back header.....

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

He didn`t score against Airdrie albeit 3 other defenders did.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He has been great but he didnt score on Tuesday. You made that bit up. ;)

Oops! Either he did forgot it was Kerr that got the 2nd goal. Still he has been a  very good signing by Naysmith so far.

20 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I got the impression for Pars fans who posted that Fordyce was a very decent player but had had issues with injury.

Have to say I was concerned that we let both Dowie and Higgins go but so far so good in terms of the defence.

They'll be the same ones that said Gav was shite!

In evaluating the 'game of two halves' aspect from a Queens perspective, we have to acknowledge that Dumbarton came at it differently in each half too.  

We had so much possession in the first half, largely because Dumbarton sat in and allowed it.  In the second half, we saw less of the ball, but had far more clear cut chances, because Dumbarton could no longer play in quite the same way if they wanted something from the match.

It's not just up to us, how we play.

I thought that today was pretty encouraging, apart from our reluctance to convert chances.  

There's not much point in getting excited over being third, given that we've been able to play the part-time sides at home already.  However, it's good that we did manage to take maximum points in the home games, especially after our poor League Cup.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In evaluating the 'game of two halves' aspect from a Queens perspective, we have to acknowledge that Dumbarton came at it differently in each half too.  

We had so much possession in the first half, largely because Dumbarton sat in and allowed it.  In the second half, we saw less of the ball, but had far more clear cut chances, because Dumbarton could no longer play in quite the same way if they wanted something from the match.

I thought that today was pretty encouraging, apart from our reluctance to convert chances.  

There's not much point in getting excited over being third, given that we've been able to play the part-time sides at home already.  However, it's good that we did manage to take maximum points in the home games, especially after our poor League Cup.

This.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All fair though the "poor League Cup" is something of fine margins. To finish 3rd in that group was clearly not good enough and the performance at home to Albion in particular was poor but if any of the four chances that hit woodwork against EK go in we win the group. They didnt and we didnt but there were positive signs even in the League Cup that we were an improving work in progress. Lets see how we do at places like Falkirk and Livingston next though......

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

All fair though the "poor League Cup" is something of fine margins. To finish 3rd in that group was clearly not good enough and the performance at home to Albion in particular was poor but if any of the four chances that hit woodwork against EK go in we win the group. They didnt and we didnt but there were positive signs even in the League Cup that we were an improving work in progress. Lets see how we do at places like Falkirk and Livingston next though......

Falkirk fans seem in a bit of a meltdown but no doubt it will be very tough there next week,

5 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Things you never thought you'd read.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the decision to start with David Smith on the wing, when you have the SeaGal, Chris Johnston (who, imo, has been seriously unfortunate to see his gametime limited so far in the league) and Ally Roy (arguably our best attacker so far this season) on the bench. I'd love to know why Stevie thought that was the right decision.

Because if any of them dared play well against us we would just sign them up #Sonshamers

Far too much respect shown today, Lyle, Kane and Dobbie Are arguably the best strikeforce in the league but we need to test the defence! 1-0 is by no means a disgrace but I reckon queens will do well to finish above 7th so we really should be getting at them

. If we had got the draw we should have had at Tannadice we would be top tonight.

You're normally correct with these sort of things but I think you're wrong this time. If you had gotten a draw at Tannadice then Dunfermline would be top, you and United would be 2nd and 3rd on goals scored (can't see that stat on the table I'm viewing)

Either way it seemed a reasonably deserved United win etc.

ETA:- I've gotten that wrong, you'd be second on goal difference ahead of Utd. Dunfermline would still be top though?

21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You're normally correct with these sort of things but I think you're wrong this time. If you had gotten a draw at Tannadice then Dunfermline would be top, you and United would be 2nd and 3rd on goals scored (can't see that stat on the table I'm viewing)

ETA:- I've gotten that wrong, you'd be second on goal difference ahead of Utd. Dunfermline would still be top though?

What part of it was a deserved united win last week ? We only had ourselves to blame for not taking our chances but I think majority of both sets of fans agreed a draw would have been a fair outcome. 

What part of it was a deserved united win last week ? We only had ourselves to blame for not taking our chances but I think majority of both sets of fans agreed a draw would have been a fair outcome. 

The most obvious one would be the amount of goals they scored compared to yours, however I'd appreciate we're talking about more than that!
Can only go by the highlights but I thought they were worth it, purely on the highlights.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Joint top then. I didnt even look at goal difference and knew Dunfermline would be on the same points. I wasnt meaning it quite so literally but fair enough for pulling me up on it. 

I doubt you will find a United fan who wont concede their win last week was way against the run of play. They understandibly offered almost nothing in an attacking sense second half.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, the real tests of what we can realistically expect of this season, are yet to come. 

I don't think the "poor League Cup" line is at all contentious though.  We failed to beat either Albion Rovers or East Kilbride at home and that's what cost us.  I was referring to that by way of contrast with how the home games we've started as favourites for in the League, have thus far panned out.

Very much this.

Even though we didn't dominate possession in his second half I thought we adapted extremely well. We defended comfortably and hit Dumbarton on the break a few times, including a couple of chances which came from pressing and winning at ball back higher up. There was a period later on where it got a bit more desperate and the clearances were being hit anywhere but that happens sometimes no matter who you're playing.

I don't think it can be ignored that the best chances came in a second half, including 4 that really should have been goals.

Archived