#Sonshamers v Sons

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Are Kane and Dobbie playing as a straight up front 2? I fail to see how that doesn't work, Kane is a poacher and Dobbie is probably the most skillful guy in the league, with time that may be the best in the league. I do tend to agree that aside from your forward line there isn't much to be scared of though, and I feel we've given too much respect to you today (or our management have a chronic lack of belief in our squad). Injuries will be the excuse though.

No Lyle and Kane have started as front 2 with Dobbie just behind them last couple of games.

We totally dominated the first half but created very little.  It was good to see the pressure tell with the goal on half time though.
The second was more even, but was the one where the chances came.  Our finishing is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest.  I was glad to hear the full-time whistle, because it would have surprised nobody if we'd been punished.

I thought we played really well in first half - completely dominated the entire half and were never remotely threatened. Stress free first half and no scares. We did find it tough to create great chances but total domination and our shape and passing was spot on.

Second half was really disjointed - stopped pressing the ball, full backs didn't push on the way they did in first half and we resorted to a bit of "hoofball". That said it was during the second half we created some great chances ( I counted 6/7) BUT it started to get stressful as the dreaded sucker punch was just round the corner.We failed to manage the game very well despite being much the better team.

Overall if we can replicate that first half performance and create a few more chances we won't go far wrong.Playing Danny as a playmaker is a good option as we desperately need some midfield creativity.

I agree with an earlier Dumbarton post on the subject of the pitch - it was awful. Ball not running smoothly and bobbling all over the place with a high bounce factor.

Encouraging signs on playing side.

So frustrating. As has been recognised by almost everyone, we were far too defensive from the off, and we showed we can be a real threat, from the last 15 minutes.

But that was too late. Queens were understandably content and saw the game out professionally. But why didn't we start more attack-minded?

Nade on the bench, ok. But Roy? He's been our best attacking threat and was so again today, despite only playing what 15-20 minutes?

Aitken surely can't blame injuries for that? Barr was injured in the warm up, yes. But Hill is an able replacement so it's not as if the whole dynamic of the team was altered.

I'll be interested to see what Stevie says, but I'd like to think he'd have learned that being uber-defensive a la pre-Bonnyrigg yielded SFA, and after Bonnyrigg when we attacked teams, we were a real threat and took scalps in the second half of the season.

I see Robert Thomson and Lewis Vaughan scored again today...[emoji45]

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The pass was fine.

Lyle needed to use his left foot, didn't, and got in a pickle.  It was a bad miss.

We'll see when the highlights come out but I think you'll find the pass was poor which is why Lyle had to take a touch and couldnt sort his feet out. A better pass into his stride or better weighted and he hits it first time and scores

That was a really frustrating game to watch. I know it's pretty much a brand new team but there was no sign of any threat to their goal even when we got into the box. You could see that if we got a header there wouldn't be a Sons player getting to the second ball. Even when we had a throw in, nobody was moving and looking for the ball which is basic stuff. Hopefully we can get back to attacking teams with some purpose sooner rather than later. Today is the first time since December that we haven't scored in an away league match.

oh to be a fly on the pitch - what did Rooney say to Marshall before he took the corner that led to our goal?

Whatever it was, it was enough of a distraction for the Son's players not to mark Fordyce.

My take is that by speaking to Marshall defenders expected cross to drop into near post where Rooney was standing

We'll see when the highlights come out but I think you'll find the pass was poor which is why Lyle had to take a touch and couldnt sort his feet out. A better pass into his stride or better weighted and he hits it first time and scores

Pass was shite

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I thought it was a clever pass.

It looked like he'd shoot, then he suddenly squared it.  I suspect it caught Lyle out a bit, but if he'd been alert, it would have presented him with a gift.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I thought it was a clever pass.

It looked like he'd shoot, then he suddenly squared it.  I suspect it caught Lyle out a bit, but if he'd been alert, it would have presented him with a gift.

The idea was clever but I thought the execution was poor. As I said, the highlights will clear it up.

At the end of the day its just one of a number of really good chances we had to score

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The idea was clever but I thought the execution was poor. As I said, the highlights will clear it up.

At the end of the day its just one of a number of really good chances we had to score

Indeed.

We got away with lots of misses today, many of them from them players we expect to score with much poorer chances.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I thought we played really well in first half - completely dominated the entire half and were never remotely threatened. Stress free first half and no scares. We did find it tough to create great chances but total domination and our shape and passing was spot on.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Second half was really disjointed - stopped pressing the ball, full backs didn't push on the way they did in first half and we resorted to a bit of "hoofball

Spot on.

It was a difficult day for football - nothing worse than a gusting wind to ruin it - and Dumbarton could be described as a 'stuffy' side that were difficult to break down.

Having said that, I was quite impressed by our 1st half performance - we were playing proper, entertaining football.

So what happened second half, RJC has given us the answer.

Did the players make the decision to play it long or did someone in authority give the instruction to do that given that the wind was more with us 2nd half ?

I was really looking forward to seeing more of the same but was very disappointed with the 2nd half approach.  Had we carried on where we left off it would have been much more enjoyable to watch and I suspect more fruitful in terms of goals.

None of the substitutions made did anything to make a positive impact.

No-one upfront had a good day but Dobbie's efforts, in particular, were poor to say the least.

Be interesting to hear Naysmith's comments about the 2nd half to see if he blames the players or himself for changing tactics.

Hopefully this was a one-off and we can get back to the way we played 1st half as it was very enjoyable.

I thought Jacobs or Rankin were MOM today. Rooney contributed a lot, but I thought he was a bit shaky defensively on occasion.

We played well for most of the game, on another day would have been 2-0 or more......

2 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

I thought Jacobs or Rankin were MOM today. Rooney contributed a lot, but I thought he was a bit shaky defensively on occasion.

We played well for most of the game, on another day would have been 2-0 or more......

The midfielders did well but for me Callum Fordyce was again outstanding today, not just because he scored. He has been a terrific signing.

Archived