#Sonshamers v Sons

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

The prospect of Dobbie-Kane-Lyle could work wonders if it intimidates teams like Dumbarton to sit off us and defend, relieving pressure on our weak midfield and sometimes-shoogly defence. 

Shoogly defence? Conceded 7 goals in 8 games

48 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

20 minutes left and we have taken off Kane, Lyle and Carmichael. Trying to shitfest our way to a 1-0 win. I am sure that will go exactly as planned...

They were all replaced with like for like players, so no. And it did go as planned ... you're not having a great time are you?

Could and should have been a more convincing win. The first half was as one sided as you could get with Dumbarton offering nothing up front. We sat a bit deep at times in the second and Dumbarton had more of the ball, especially after they brought on their subs, but Martin didnt really have a serious save to make and for all the balls forward for Nade, Brownlie and Fordyce coped well enough. At the other end Dobbie missed a one on one with the keeper (again) and put a lob wide that looked easier to score. Dykes went on a mazy run but then put his shot wide when, again, it looked easier to score.

Sounds like Dumbarton are capable of a lot more than they showed today though

Thank goodness we have defenders to score goals. How many easy chances have our strikers missed in the last two games. Deserved the win but it should have been more convincing. 

Certainly creating the chances though which is good to see. Happy 3 points 3rd in the league. Early days yet but a fairly positive start to the league.

45 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Got what we deserved. God only knows what the thinking was behind Stevie's team selection. Reminiscent of the bad days last season where we only started attacking in injury time.

After falling behind we looked like we were defending a 1-0 lead and, Dowie header cleared off the line aside, never looked like scoring.

Nice of the Lord and Saviour himself to miss a collection of (for him) easy chances to avoid it becoming embarrassing.

Exactly like last season.Why we dont just have a go i do not know.I reckon we could have taken something today if we had.Under ian murray we had the right attitude just having a go as draws are no use.

30 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Could and should have been a more convincing win. The first half was as one sided as you could get with Dumbarton offering nothing up front. We sat a bit deep at times in the second and Dumbarton had more of the ball, especially after they brought on their subs, but Martin didnt really have a serious save to make and for all the balls forward for Nade, Brownlie and Fordyce coped well enough. At the other end Dobbie missed a one on one with the keeper (again) and put a lob wide that looked easier to score. Dykes went on a mazy run but then put his shot wide when, again, it looked easier to score.

Sounds like Dumbarton are capable of a lot more than they showed today though

Pretty much this but thought Lyle made a bit of a mess of the easiest chance of the lot.

First half performance was good. Thought sitting back in the second half wasn't the best plan, but we still managed to create more chances than we had done in the first half. Welcome 3 points but taking even one of the second half chances would have made the last few minutes a bit less fraught.

We totally dominated the first half but created very little.  It was good to see the pressure tell with the goal on half time though.

The second was more even, but was the one where the chances came.  Our finishing is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest.  I was glad to hear the full-time whistle, because it would have surprised nobody if we'd been punished.

21 minutes ago, Flash said:

Pretty much this but thought Lyle made a bit of a mess of the easiest chance of the lot.

First half performance was good. Thought sitting back in the second half wasn't the best plan, but we still managed to create more chances than we had done in the first half. Welcome 3 points but taking even one of the second half chances would have made the last few minutes a bit less fraught.

You mean the one that Stirling squared to him? I didnt count that as a particularly great chance as the ball from Stirling was poor and made the chance a lot harder than it should have been.

Last season we would have been punished for missed chances, but our defence seems more solid this season.

Am sure once Dobbie & Kane get their first goals more will follow hopefully this will start next Sat v Falkirk.

47 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Exactly like last season.Why we dont just have a go i do not know.I reckon we could have taken something today if we had.Under ian murray we had the right attitude just having a go as draws are no use.

Most people seem to forget that the season after our "you score 4 goals, we'll score 5" approach, we were actually woeful. Just as bad as we were last season before Christmas.

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You mean the one that Stirling squared to him? I didnt count that as a particularly great chance as the ball from Stirling was poor and made the chance a lot harder than it should have been.

Yeah, that one. If I didn't see it right then Stirling made an arse of it. Overall, it looked like the easiest chance of the lot.

We are expected to go down yet again, the tactics which have kept us up have been showing a lack of respect for our opponents. We had what, 2 or 3 shots on goal today? Stevie will say we struggled with injuries, losing Barr in the warm up was a blow, up against a full time side, it's hard as a part time team. It gets old. He built the squad, a squad of injury prone players. If we don't have the depth to deal with it then it's his fault. Let's be brave. The home dressing room is littered with "BELIEVE" messages, perhaps Aitken needs some of his own advice.

22 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Most people seem to forget that the season after our "you score 4 goals, we'll score 5" approach, we were actually woeful. Just as bad as we were last season before Christmas.

That is correct however my question stands...why change the style of play?It just doesnt make sense.Its like there is a fear we will get a caning of someone.id rather that than settling for a narrow defeat.Queens fans have already admitted they are weak in defence and midfield..So SA...have a go  if you REALLY want to finish higher up the league.

11 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

That is correct however my question stands...why change the style of play?It just doesnt make sense.Its like there is a fear we will get a caning of someone.id rather that than settling for a narrow defeat.Queens fans have already admitted they are weak in defence and midfield..So SA...have a go  if you REALLY want to finish higher up the league.

Spot on, I'd much rather we were relegated having a go than sitting in playing for a point, something we've done for the first 3 fixtures IMO.

We are expected to go down yet again, the tactics which have kept us up have been showing a lack of respect for our opponents. We had what, 2 or 3 shots on goal today? Stevie will say we struggled with injuries, losing Barr in the warm up was a blow, up against a full time side, it's hard as a part time team. It gets old. He built the squad, a squad of injury prone players. If we don't have the depth to deal with it then it's his fault. Let's be brave. The home dressing room is littered with "BELIEVE" messages, perhaps Aitken needs some of his own advice.

Absolutely spot on. Here's some more of his own advice he should take.

5348d979abe728547e4cb68591e793ac.jpg

5 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

.Queens fans have already admitted they are weak in defence and midfield.

We have? Where? Our defence looks miles better than last season at the moment. Our midfield is doing ok.

Decent enough win today. Wasnt great from us but the better side won. Last year we would have drawn that but I wasnt really worried late on. Nade won most of the balls that went near him but we picked up every second ball. Neither keeper had an awful lot to do but we missed some good chances second half. Lyle in particular just couldnt sort his feet out when presented with a tap in (I agree with Flash that was the best chance of the lot). 

Win's a win though. Clean sheet for good measure. 7 goals from the defence already. I think we got about three goals from the defence in the whole of last season. Kane and Dobbie need to find the net but goals will come from that front line. So far so good. If we had got the draw we should have had at Tannadice we would be top tonight.

Are Kane and Dobbie playing as a straight up front 2? I fail to see how that doesn't work, Kane is a poacher and Dobbie is probably the most skillful guy in the league, with time that may be the best in the league. I do tend to agree that aside from your forward line there isn't much to be scared of though, and I feel we've given too much respect to you today (or our management have a chronic lack of belief in our squad). Injuries will be the excuse though.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We have? Where? Our defence looks miles better than last season at the moment. Our midfield is doing ok.

Decent enough win today. Wasnt great from us but the better side won. Last year we would have drawn that but I wasnt really worried late on. Nade won most of the balls that went near him but we picked up every second ball. Neither keeper had an awful lot to do but we missed some good chances second half. Lyle in particular just couldnt sort his feet out when presented with a tap in (I agree with Flash that was the best chance of the lot). 

Win's a win though. Clean sheet for good measure. 7 goals from the defence already. I think we got about three goals from the defence in the whole of last season. Kane and Dobbie need to find the net but goals will come from that front line. So far so good. If we had got the draw we should have had at Tannadice we would be top tonight.

Things you never thought you'd read.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the decision to start with David Smith on the wing, when you have the SeaGal, Chris Johnston (who, imo, has been seriously unfortunate to see his gametime limited so far in the league) and Ally Roy (arguably our best attacker so far this season) on the bench. I'd love to know why Stevie thought that was the right decision.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

The pass was fine.

Lyle needed to use his left foot, didn't, and got in a pickle.  It was a bad miss.

Archived