#Sonshamers v Sons

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Scored against us in April, in the match where Sir Samuel of Stanton (:wub:) scored that free-kick. I think that's it though. Dom Thomas scored twice against us January, Lyle scored against us in December and the other game was 0-0.

Ah, so he did. Well, hopefully Big Dill keeps him quiet on Saturday.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Someone suggested this on the Queens thread. I just dont see the point, to be honest. We've looked ok defensively with a back four particularly through the middle. The problems have been out wide. Why bring in another centre half and leave the wingbacks even more exposed?

I also dont see the point of bringing in another centre back at the expense of a more attacking player. If we want to accommodate three forwards then why not just stick with the 4-3-1-2 from the last couple of games?

Obviously, its an option with Kerr now in the squad but I dont see any strong arguments for playing three at the back over the formations we've already played

I'm not massively advocating the switch, I was just agreeing that it is an option with the players at our disposal.

A few weeks ago people were bemoaning the lack of strength and depth to the squad, and I was simply highlighting that we now have the ability to field a number of different starting formations.

17 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not massively advocating the switch, I was just agreeing that it is an option with the players at our disposal.

A few weeks ago people were bemoaning the lack of strength and depth to the squad, and I was simply highlighting that we now have the ability to field a number of different starting formations.

Fair enough. The other two posters who raised it certainly seemed to be suggesting its a change that should be made

17 hours ago, gogs said:

Jim Butter

Not wanting to sidetrack this thread again but the premise of the earlier discussions was players who stood out when playing against Queens but failed to show the same ability when they played for Queens, not just for  them being poor for us.  I would say that Jim Butter was average at best before, during and after his spell with us. He certainly doesn't spring to mind as a standout in any game he played against us.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Ah, so he did. Well, hopefully Big Dill keeps him quiet on Saturday.

At the risk of a lynching from fellow Queens fans I would say that Dobbie has not been as effective in the past couple of games. Still showing some nice touches but things have not been coming off for him. This should maybe be a warning for you that things will probably click into place on Saturday and normal service will be resumed.

Just now, Fae_the_'briggs said:

At the risk of a lynching from fellow Queens fans I would say that Dobbie has not been as effective in the past couple of games. Still showing some nice touches but things have not been coming off for him. This should maybe be a warning for you that things will probably click into place on Saturday and normal service will be resumed.

Nah, Dobbie wouldn't do that to us...

...would he? :unsure:

I was thinking similar. Both he and Kane are due a goal.

I know it's probably autopilot after carrying us last season, but I hope Dobbs remembers it's a team game on Saturday and doesn't try and do it all himself. He seemed to keep on taking on one man too many against Airdrie when there were other options available.

All things considered I would say a Lyle goal is more likely than a Dobbie one on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, gogs said:

Jim Butter Was A standout for alloa before he came to us

Indeed. When starting a list of players who were excellent before coming to us and were then shite, I can't believe it's not Butter who springs instantly to mind.

Fair enough. The other two posters who raised it certainly seemed to be suggesting its a change that should be made

I mentioned it as well but would rather see us stick to back four. Think 3 leaves the wing backs exposed, and I don't think Shaun Rooney needs that done to him... just was a way of fitting the new signings in. As cammy says it's just nice to have these options now.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No buts, it has to be...

I have no recollection of Butter before or after he joined us. Just couldn't resist.

5 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I know it's probably autopilot after carrying us last season, but I hope Dobbs remembers it's a team game on Saturday and doesn't try and do it all himself. He seemed to keep on taking on one man too many against Airdrie when there were other options available.

I think the opposite is also true when others players pass up good chances to try and pass to Dobbie. In first half a ball dropped to Carmichael in the box when he had a good chance to burst the net with a volley - he took and touch and tried to lay it off to Dobbie instead when a shot IMO would have been a better opinion

^^^^ Quite agree with this. I made the same point when discussing Stirling's contributions in games he has featured in, he gets into good positions but chooses to pass when maybe a pop at goals would be an option. We really need more goal threat from different positions not just relying on Dobbie and Lyle, Dykes or now Kane. Defenders have been chipping in with a few but there should be some coming from midfield too.

I think the opposite is also true when others players pass up good chances to try and pass to Dobbie. In first half a ball dropped to Carmichael in the box when he had a good chance to burst the net with a volley - he took and touch and tried to lay it off to Dobbie instead when a shot IMO would have been a better opinion

In general I agree but with this particular point I don't. Even if Dobbie wasn't on the park Carmichael wouldn't have taken the shot there. I don't know why he's so reluctant to have a shot at goal. He had a great chance last season against Hibs when he was on the edge of the box in space but even then he refused to shoot.

I'd rather he had a shot and it went sky high than he losing it trying to find a pass.

Craig Barr and Tom Walsh doubtful for us. Hutton and Handling both back in the squad. We could really do with Craig Barr not being injured to be honest. Can't understand why he wasn't rested during the week, 3 games in 7 days is always going to be a struggle for him. If both Walsh and Barr are out, I reckon we'll see this team:

Gallacher

Wardrop -- Dowie -- Hill -- McLaughlin

Carswell -- Wilson

C. Gallagher -- Stewart -- Roy

Nade

Wouldn't be against Hutton starting but I'd like to see how Carswell and Wilson do together. I'd also probably prefer Handling in place of Stewart (can Handling play wide?) but with Stewart scoring midweek I can't see Stevie dropping him. We will need to take our chances tomorrow because I'm not sure we'll create many of them. Hopefully Super Ally continues his good form.

Archived