Official Get The Challenge Cup In The Bin Thread

ATLIS

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/08/2017 at 11:06, Granny Danger said:

I didn't go to a single fixture of this competition last year because I was unhappy that McKinnon was treating it seriously when it's just a diddy competition.

This time around it looks like he will treat it as a chance for the fringe players and young lads; on that basis I am quite happy to go along to any ties at Tannadice to see how our youngster perform and give them a bit of encouragement.  I'm not too worried about the colt teams or non-scottish teams participating, anything that offers a bit of competition to help develop our youngsters is OK by me.

A balanced post.

Unlike most others, I gave the new format a chance before giving any firm opinion of it. Now that we're in the second year, the inclusion of the Colt teams is an experiment that's largely failed, and their continued inclusion isn't good for the tournament. On the other hand, the inclusion of the Welsh and Irish teams has been a great success, and they've made it better this year by bringing them in earlier. 

5 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Unlike most others, I gave the new format a chance before giving any firm opinion of it. Now that we're in the second year, the inclusion of the Colt teams is an experiment that's largely failed, and their continued inclusion isn't good for the tournament. On the other hand, the inclusion of the Welsh and Irish teams has been a great success, and they've made it better this year by bringing them in earlier. 

1) "Many others" had the foresight to know that there's no way it could be a success. There was no need for a suck-it-and-see with an idea so woeful

2) "Largely failed"? There's been not one crumb of benefit to their inclusion. In fact, it's just emboldened the OF to try and steamroller through their plan to get 'Colt' teams into the league pyramid.

Clubs will approve almost anything that makes money in the short term. It doesn't matter how short lived the cash will be, just wave it in front of the committees and blazers and they just swoon.

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

1) "Many others" had the foresight to know that there's no way it could be a success. There was no need for a suck-it-and-see with an idea so woeful

I prefer to make my own mind up rather than be a sheep, but thanks. There was some merit in the idea, but the implementation was poor and it was very poorly received, and still is. 

I say largely failed as our own game v Hearts U-20s last season was great value for money and indirectly led to us snapping up Calum Morrison. I feel if the colt teams are allowed to stay in the tournament, they should be forced to play away wherever possible. I would never have attended that Hearts game had it been away. 

I would prefer they weren't in the tournament at all now, however. But I'm not foaming at the mouth about it, it's only the Challenge Cup after all, nothing vitally important in the grand scheme of things. I'll reserve my ire for the day they're admitted into the league set up, should it ever happen. 

Today I will be supporting :-

Annan Athletic

Formartine United

Edinburgh City (Yes against Accies U20s)

Elgin City

Berwick Rangers

Stirling University

Forfar Athletic

Tomorrow I will be supporting :-

Dumbarton

Alloa Athletic

Queens Park

Billy Mckay scores for Ross County. Seems fair.

Yup, any idea this is about "youth development" fired out the window. They've reduced the Challenge Cup to the same level as a reserve league.

Jeff Stelling there :lol:

"If you're wondering what these scores are by the way, it's the Scottish Challenge Cup...."

May as well have said, just ignore this shite 

It's always been a secondary concern, sort of thing you only care about when you get deep enough into it to have a chance of winning. That said, County's 2 wins in the Challenge Cup are fond memories, some of the best moments supporting the club, and it does seem just pish to have it wasted with what's essentially our kids plus a player 3 weeks behind the rest of the main squad as far as pre-season training goes.

So, papped out already we have:

St Johnstone U20s (lost to, erm, Aberdeen U20s)
Celtic U20s (lost to Annan Athletic)
Hibernian U20s (lost to Elgin City)
Kilmarnock U20s (lost to Berwick Rangers)

U20s who won are:
Ross County ft Northern Ireland international Billy McKay
Aberdeen U20s...who, erm, beat another U20s team
Hamilton Academical U20s who were stunning 1-0 victors at home against Edinburgh City courtesy of a penalty
Partick Thistle U20s who beat a bunch of guys from Uni

Anyone care to fire up the crowds? Great to hear the Yinited fans ran a mile.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

So, papped out already we have:

St Johnstone U20s (lost to, erm, Aberdeen U20s)
Celtic U20s (lost to Annan Athletic)
Hibernian U20s (lost to Elgin City)
Kilmarnock U20s (lost to Berwick Rangers)

U20s who won are:
Ross County ft Northern Ireland international Billy McKay
Aberdeen U20s...who, erm, beat another U20s team
Hamilton Academical U20s who were stunning 1-0 victors at home against Edinburgh City courtesy of a penalty
Partick Thistle U20s who beat a bunch of guys from Uni

Anyone care to fire up the crowds? Great to hear the Yinited fans ran a mile.

Queen of the South vs Airdrieonians was 1012 which is basically the same as the League Cup Group stage dead rubber vs Albion Rovers.

2 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Queen of the South vs Airdrieonians was 1012 which is basically the same as the League Cup Group stage dead rubber vs Albion Rovers.

That's still quite reasonable to be fair. Though still 500(ish) short of what I'd have down as an average for you lot?

Archived