Official Get The Challenge Cup In The Bin Thread

ATLIS

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2014 final is probably amongst the highlights of my time supporting Livi in the last decade (not a lot to pick from otherwise). The competition we won then is lightyears away from what it is now, and not in a good way. Crusaders last year was a fucking class trip but the shoehorning of U20 sides in this competition to test the waters is the primary objective of the whole thing now from the authorities' point of view.

Each to their own, but it's a no from me. Either get the U20s out or give it up.

Aye, the Challenge Cup was great for wee teams like us. I'd rather watch us compete in an SPFL version of Gladiators than spend a penny on this new monstrosity, however.

Well, I'd be happy to spend a penny on it, but not in a way the SPFL would appreciate.

I'd rather take a roasting iron to my face than go to us against the Rangers U20s + overage fringe players paid more individually than our entire team'.

Hope we put out the weakest side we can to avoid any more injuries to important players. The whole thing is a total farce and, to be perfectly honest, a darn inconvenience. 

Said ever since the introduction of Colt teams into this it was just a pre-cursor to getting them into the league system. The original set up of Championship & below teams gave a possibility of smaller teams winning a cup & provided a decent outlet for them. Premier league teams need to sort out a method of providing game time for excess players in their squads without dragging us into it, I stick with the ideal that no club should be allowed more than one team within the league system. Will make the trip to Methil tomorrow as they have done nothing wrong, if at any point we are drawn to play a Colt team either home or away I will not be going. Our manager said as basically the competition has been devalued with the Colts coming in he intends giving any player not involved on Saturday a start against East Fife & use it as fitness exercise.

I didn't go to a single fixture of this competition last year because I was unhappy that McKinnon was treating it seriously when it's just a diddy competition.

This time around it looks like he will treat it as a chance for the fringe players and young lads; on that basis I am quite happy to go along to any ties at Tannadice to see how our youngster perform and give them a bit of encouragement.  I'm not too worried about the colt teams or non-scottish teams participating, anything that offers a bit of competition to help develop our youngsters is OK by me.

The competition has always been an inconvenience and a bit shite. I'd far rather we played our youth/fringe players than play our first team players, in that respect it would be quite hypocritical for me to then be that fussed by the colt teams.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 06:26, Randy Giles said:

Don't get the Challenge Cup in the bin. Don't even get rid of the Irish lot and the Welsh lot.

Get the Colts in the bin and we're sorted.

This! Happy to keep the Challenge Cup - not happy to include reserve sides, whether colts or piglets.

On 14/08/2017 at 11:06, Granny Danger said:

I'm not too worried about the colt teams or non-scottish teams participating, anything that offers a bit of competition to help develop our youngsters is OK by me.

The funny thing is that by including U20's teams you actually kill off any competition that exists. It's a stupid idea and the justification for it isn't actually backed up by any evidence whatsoever.

Same as I did with it last season I'll be attending no games in this tournament. The competition was a fine idea until these p***ks in charge of the game one our country and who are only there to pander to the bigots tinkered with it as a means of easing under 20s sides into the league. Get it back to what it was previously and I've no issue with it. Until then they can fucking ram it.

I get the thinking behind the "I just don't like the Colt teams" but it doesn't work like that. If you attend a game in this competition then you're supporting it and you're supporting their inclusion as a result.

Personally, I'm not even a fan of the Irish/Welsh teams. Makes no difference if it's a home game and only positive I can see is an away tie is an excuse for a piss up...which you could just do anyway without the football.

Archived