Official Get The Challenge Cup In The Bin Thread

ATLIS

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That's still quite reasonable to be fair. Though still 500(ish) short of what I'd have down as an average for you lot?

For a Cup game it's probably around 200 less than if it was on a Saturday, plus a slightly smaller away support because of the state Airdrie are in. The home support is by in large consistent regardless but we are yet to face a colt team to put that theory into practice. 

Absolute minter for Celtic Colts to be sworded by last year's Queens Under 20s

6 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That's still quite reasonable to be fair. Though still 500(ish) short of what I'd have down as an average for you lot?

It is about average for midweek cup games in the early stages of this and the League Cup. Got 1,036 v Airdrie last season in the Betfred midweek and 1,055 v East Kilbride this season.

How many "on-loan" players played for their parent clubs tonight, instead of their loan club?

Andrew Irving (Berwick, played for Hearts U20)

Calumn Morrison (Stirling, played for Hearts U20)

Harry Paton (Stenny, played for Hearts U20)

Ben Stirling (Cowdenbeath, played for Hibs U20)

Anyone else?

4 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

I prefer to make my own mind up rather than be a sheep, but thanks. There was some merit in the idea, but the implementation was poor and it was very poorly received, and still is.

Translation: Everyone that said it was a farce last season was 100% right.

Also, there was no merit in the idea, even if you buy the ridiculous notion that it was designed to improve young players.

Incidentally the 4th lowest verifiable Dundee Utd home crowd since the war tonight, despite it being against an actual club.

Surpassed only by:

* 1,200 v East Stirlingshire on Saturday 22nd December 1956 (severe fog and gloom)
* 1,302 v Falkirk on Wednesday 21st November 1973
* 1,437 v Morton on Friday 10th May 1974 (last game of season moved to avoid Scotland international)

2 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Absolute minter for Celtic Colts to be sworded by last year's Queens Under 20s

To be fair only two of last years 20s played, one of whom is the overage Scott Hooper & the other got a hat trick. Four more on the bench though in Atkinson, Brannan, Sonkur and Moxon.

Some big crowds tonight according to SPFL website! Everyone buzzing for this competition! Dundee United's lowest crowd in over 40 years still the highest of the night!

Aberdeen U20 1-0 St Johnstone U20 - 155

Albion Rovers 0-0 Spartans (Albion win 5-4 on penalties) - 155

Annan Athletic 3-1 Celtic U20 - 278

Buckie Thistle 2-1 Brechin City - 453

Clyde 2-3 Stranraer (AET) - 319

Dundee United 2-0 Cowdenbeath - 1,655

Dunfermline 2-0 Arbroath - 1,462

East Fife 0-2 Peterhead - 333

Formartine 2-3 Hearts (AET) - 200

Hamilton U20 1-0 Edinburgh City - 153

Hibernian U20 1-2 Elgin City - 387

Kilmarnock U20 0-2 Berwick - No crowd figure

Morton 0-2 Livingston - 1,036

Partick Thistle U20 6-1 Stirling Uni - No crowd figure

Queen of the South 4-0 Airdrie - 1,012

Raith Rovers 3-0 Brora Rangers - 971

Ross County U20 2-1 Forfar - No crowd figure

St Mirren 2-1 East Kilbride - 1,357

Stenhousemuir 0-2 Cove Rangers - 169

Stirling Albion 1-3 Montrose - 413

3 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Kilmarnock U20 0-2 Berwick - No crowd figure

Partick Thistle U20 6-1 Stirling Uni - No crowd figure

Ross County U20 2-1 Forfar - No crowd figure

190 being quoted for that albeit not on SPFL website yet.

Cannot imagine there was a big attendance at Kilmarnock "B" v Berwick (I wasn't there unsurprisingly). Ross County got 350 v Brora last season, but would be surprised if they got as many this time.

Interestingly, the average attendance in the 26 ties which comprised R1 & R2 last season was 333 and there were 10 ties under 350, 8 under 250 and 3 under 150.

Last night there were 20 ties (remaining 4 due tonight) this round representing a combination of the previous 2, with an average of 571, but of course Championship clubs were involved whereas previously they joined in R3. Excluding ties where Championship clubs were at home the average has fallen to 289 and may well fall further, if/when Killie "B" and Ross County "B" figures come in. There were 9 ties under 350 and 6 under 250 - 3 scraping over 150 - again without knowing that pair.

5 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

Unlike most others, I gave the new format a chance before giving any firm opinion of it. Now that we're in the second year, the inclusion of the Colt teams is an experiment that's largely failed, and their continued inclusion isn't good for the tournament. On the other hand, the inclusion of the Welsh and Irish teams has been a great success, and they've made it better this year by bringing them in earlier.

This. 100%

Incidentally the 4th lowest verifiable Dundee Utd home crowd since the war tonight, despite it being against an actual club.

Surpassed only by:

* 1,200 v East Stirlingshire on Saturday 22nd December 1956 (severe fog and gloom)

* 1,302 v Falkirk on Wednesday 21st November 1973

* 1,437 v Morton on Friday 10th May 1974 (last game of season moved to avoid Scotland international)

I'm guessing that maybe the Falkirk game would have been during the energy crisis and so would have to have been played during the working day?

It fell before the "Three Day Week" which ran from Jan to Mar 1974, so I wondered if it was just coincidence: but infact due to the OPEC crisis which preceded it I see the government banned floodlights the week before. It'd been abandoned due to fog on Sat 3rd Nov, and so had to be rearranged at 2:15pm on Wednesday 21st. Unsurprisingly this and travel problems would badly hurt the crowd. Three League Cup QF 2nd legs also got low crowds (Aberdeen-Celtic 2,821 15,500; Clyde-Dundee 4,609; Hibs-Rangers 5,287 19,425) while Albion Rovers and Killie swapped-out an adjacent league game and got 295!

EDIT: Actually to illustrate the difference 3 days later at Rugby Park a crowd of 5,287 watched the League Cup QF - 18 times the crowd 3 days before :lol:!

Last night therefore seems to be Utd's lowest crowd since the defeat of fascism without extenuating circumstances... despite being the holders.

34 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It fell before the "Three Day Week" which ran from Jan to Mar 1974, so I wondered if it was just coincidence: but infact due to the OPEC crisis which preceded it I see the government banned floodlights the week before. It'd been abandoned due to fog on Sat 3rd Nov, and so had to be rearranged at 2:15pm on Wednesday 21st. Unsurprisingly this and travel problems would badly hurt the crowd. Three League Cup QF 2nd legs also got low crowds (Aberdeen-Celtic 2,821; Clyde-Dundee 4,609; Hibs-Rangers 5,287) while Albion Rovers and Killie swapped-out an adjacent league game and got 295!

EDIT: Actually to illustrate the difference 3 days later at Rugby Park a crowd of 5,287 watched the League Cup QF - 18 times the crowd 3 days before :lol:!

Last night therefore seems to be Utd's lowest crowd since the defeat of fascism without extenuating circumstances... despite being the holders.

I was at Aberdeen that day. A Wednesday afternoon with a 1.30pm kickoff, in the Beach End with the new wooden benches. Was there really only 2800 there. Was it a draw? Can't really remember much other than my mother died the day before.

Edited, it was 0-0 and there was 16,000 there.

Sorry to hear that. To save time I cheated and took the crowd from the database on the LondonHearts website but it's wrong: AFC Heritage says 15,500 which is actually very respectable in the circumstances. Similarly the Hibs-Rangers crowd was actually 19,425... Figures for Dundee Utd-Falkirk, Clyde-Dundee (given in some sources as a round 5,000) and Killie-Albion games are correct.

Archived