PSJFC v PTFC 19.8.17

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abysmal game. Saints deserved it. Thought Keown's distribution was shocking today, and Lawless had a shocker for the second week in a row. Have never been a big fan of O'Halloran, but when he's on form like he was today, he's unplayable.

Thought it was a more typical saints performance today - defending well and winning the midfield battles. Lots of good individual performances but the most pleasing thing is you feel that there is better team performances to come from this side. Think the three attacking midfielders have been excellent in their own ways - including maybe surprisingly their work without the ball as much as with it - but will get even better once they gel and used to each other games.

That Easton tackle towards the end was terrific.

6 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Abysmal game. Saints deserved it. Thought Keown's distribution was shocking today, and Lawless had a shocker for the second week in a row. Have never been a big fan of O'Halloran, but when he's on form like he was today, he's unplayable.

said this after his move to Rangers wondering why he had not started much in a mediocre sevco side. Was shot down by many saints fans and sevco droolers a like. Funny how opinions change. lol on RM he is apparently a tim and still crap, just like waghorn Mckay who also seem to be back on form having left that hatred filled club. 

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Partick fans will just be upset he turned down all of their 5000 penalty appeals.

Boring. For being mr positive you haven't said much about your team playing well.Your just greeting about Thistle fans and how we played. Bore

10 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Boring. For being mr positive you haven't said much about your team playing well.Your just greeting about Thistle fans and how we played. Bore

Sometimes Mr 4eva ;)

I'm not greeting about how Thistle played. Simply stated my observations about the over zealous screams for a penalty every time the ball went into our box.... Via hoofs ;)

Not said much about how well we played as I dont think we did play that well. Workman like victory today I'd say.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Sometimes Mr 4eva ;)

I'm not greeting about how Thistle played. Simply stated my observations about the over zealous screams for a penalty every time the ball went into our box.... Via hoofs ;)

Not said much about how well we played as I dont think we did play that well. Workman like victory today I'd say.

After last weeks blunder our fans will scream blue fucking murder until we get a penalty, and rightly so as we only get 1 every 2 years !!

Was pleased with how the back four stood up to the aerial bombardment after Thistle brought on the two strikers but disappointing that we completely retreated during that spell. I think at home anyway, fans have a right to expect better. Prior to that, the performance was fine, if not breathtaking. It was certainly improved on the showing in the cup though.

The shape of the team with Wotherspoon getting on the ball deeper and Davidson occupying Osman and Barton in a more advanced role was better suited to the occasion. Credit to the manager for coming up with something that gave us a far better grip of the game against Thistle than is often the case in Perth. O'Halloran excites constantly, there is an expectation every time he gets the ball. Scougall is settling - and there's no doubting his technical ability - but hopefully more to come from him. Reports of MacLean's demise have unsurprisingly been greatly exaggerated.

For Thistle, Erskine showed his intelligence when he started finding the pockets in the last 30 minutes and I actually thought Elliott did alright against O'Halloran, who as someone said is verging on unplayable at the moment. Turnbull is very physical, overly so at times and looked to me to get away with quite a bit. Didn't see much of Sammon but Storey was underwhelming, although appreciate it's very early days for him.

Saints were very good for a spell in the first half at Killie and decent for an hour maybe yesterday, so to have a 100% record off the back of that is obviously as much as you could hope for. Not the game you'd pick next to try and maintain that record though...

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

Was pleased with how the back four stood up to the aerial bombardment after Thistle brought on the two strikers but disappointing that we completely retreated during that spell. I think at home anyway, fans have a right to expect better.

I think bringing on our subs made us lose a fair bit of attacking impetus. Thomson for Scougal is nowhere near like for like and it showed. Just cannot see the laddie making it at this level.

Yup, bringing on Thomson and Cummins for Scougall and MacLean instantly meant we had no real out, as neither can actually hold the ball up and allow the midfield to get up the park. Highlights the need for another option.

said this after his move to Rangers wondering why he had not started much in a mediocre sevco side. Was shot down by many saints fans and sevco droolers a like. Funny how opinions change. lol on RM he is apparently a tim and still crap, just like waghorn Mckay who also seem to be back on form having left that hatred filled club. 

I see on twitter rangers fans saying these players couldn't handle the pressure.

Maybe it wasn't the pressure, but the ridiculous toxic environment having a mental effect.

A disjointed performance with chances at a premium for both sides. A good goal from the Johnnies perspective but I could see the opportunity present itself as Elliott let MOH go on his run. Nice pass to play him (Scougall?) in and he took his chance neatly.  I assume Christie was meant to go with him as Erskine gave him a bit of an ear bashing at the kickoff? I though Paton gave the Saints a bit more dig and steel compared to the other week although it seemed they had less attempts at goal.
Always tough, nay impossible, to get three points after going a goal down to St Johnstone. We just didn't create enough chances (a theme stretching back to last season). Only Keown's speculative long range shot caused Mannus any concerns. Considering we ended up with Doolan, Erskine, Sammon and Storey on the pitch we should really have done a lot better. Mitigating factor is that Storey and Sammon have still to build that understanding with their fellow forwards. The worrying point was that Doolan and Erskine didn't seem on the same page at times either.
Solid enough at the back but the midfield was too pedestrian in their passing. Overall the outlook isn't too bad as I see us playing better over the coming weeks rather than regressing. 
Credit to St Johnstone. They weren't great but got their tactics right and deserved their win in the end. I hope you guys win the league :wub:

10 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

Ref had a good game, let it flow and kept his cards in his pocket despite a strong physical game. They will always get a few decisions wrong but nothing major today.

Can't agree with that at all. Letting the game flow by ignoring fouls (from both sides) does not make it a good performance.

Of the numerous penalty shouts, most were rubbish and just people getting frustrated, but Mannus did completely clatter Booth. It was one of those situations where keepers seem to sometimes be able to do whatever they want jumping for the ball, and Mannus knew by his reaction that he'd got away with it a wee bit, I think.

Can't agree with that at all. Letting the game flow by ignoring fouls (from both sides) does not make it a good performance.
Of the numerous penalty shouts, most were rubbish and just people getting frustrated, but Mannus did completely clatter Booth. It was one of those situations where keepers seem to sometimes be able to do whatever they want jumping for the ball, and Mannus knew by his reaction that he'd got away with it a wee bit, I think.

From my angle (halfway line) Mannus got there first, punched it against Booth and they clattered into each other. Goal kick was the correct decision. Hopefully see it again though.

The ball also struck Davidsons hand late on, could see his hand kick back from the impact. Again though, it was down by his side and was smashed at it from half a yard away. Storeys meltdown at that incident was a bit worrying for Thistle fans, I'd have thought, not long after he took an off the ball swipe at Davidson aswell.

Just seen it again, no danger that's a penalty, booth is jumping in with his knee up before either are near the ball, if he'd actually gone for the ball and got clattered then maybe, Mannus still touches the ball first though

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Mannus plays the ball cleanly. He pushes it onto Booth and they run into each other. 

You're no getting another pathetic penalty like you did in the cup tie... Which by the way was a joke. 

You mean the penalty where Anderson blatantly tripped Nisbet after Nisbet nicked the ball away from him?

I'll watch the Mannus/Booth incident back. Only going by what I saw in real time from right next to it, might feel differently after seeing the view from the cameras.

Archived