Raith v Forfar

Callachan was tremendous today. We were never going to win any high balls, the kind of patient probing that Callachan and Robertson were orchestrating was exactly what was required.

No issue with taking the ball to the corner either. We've thrown away points from more commanding positions in the past.

First part of the this post is spot on. Callachan was absolutely outstanding today. Robertson and Callachan have certainly struck up a decent partnership in there much to Matthews disgust :lol:

The taking the ball to the corner shouldn't have happened though. I've seen us lose a ball at the corner before and concede quite quickly especially if we don't actually have a player on the park capable of doing it..

Vaughan and Barr attempting to hold off players was hilarious/frustrating as they were losing it every time. Neither player has enough strength to hold the ball up against 2 or 3 opposition players.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely no stopping that. They came here today, to frustrate us and that is exactly what they done. The worst thing that could have happened, did and that was them going down to 10 men and shutting up shop.

For a good wee while we had no answer for it, no way through and nearly every time they got the ball it was punted somewhere with no direction at all.

On the positive side, we kept plugging away. And got the goal. Even after we went 1 down there was a determination about us to get the equaliser, that just wasn't there last year.

Callachan and robertson were constantly looking for the ball, but once they had it, there was no way through and my god we struggled, great ball in for the 2nd, hit exactly where keepers and defenders hate. And for the 3rd, mensing just made a hash of that back pass. But well done to spence for patching onto it.

Despite the fact they sat deep and didn't want to win that game, i thought credit where its due, mensing was commanding that defence quite well.

Still got to be the worst game i certainly think i have ever seen at starks.

Pretty bold statement. Especially after the shambles of a season we witnessed last year

Absolutely no stopping that. They came here today, to frustrate us and that is exactly what they done. The worst thing that could have happened, did and that was them going down to 10 men and shutting up shop.

For a good wee while we had no answer for it, no way through and nearly every time they got the ball it was punted somewhere with no direction at all.

On the positive side, we kept plugging away. And got the goal. Even after we went 1 down there was a determination about us to get the equaliser, that just wasn't there last year.

Callachan and robertson were constantly looking for the ball, but once they had it, there was no way through and my god we struggled, great ball in for the 2nd, hit exactly where keepers and defenders hate. And for the 3rd, mensing just made a hash of that back pass. But well done to spence for patching onto it.

Despite the fact they sat deep and didn't want to win that game, i thought credit where its due, mensing was commanding that defence quite well.

Still got to be the worst game i certainly think i have ever seen at starks.

Creative placement of commas throughout.

Callachan the best player on the park again today. Him and Robertson dictated the game from start to finish, calm and collected probing of the deep Forfar midfield and defence, going side to side just wearing them down and eventually it paid. We as fans are going to need to be a bit more patient, especially at home. We're going to win a lot of games in the last 15 minutes and us not being on the team's back when it gets to that time can only help.

Shout out to number 7 for having the longest red mist I've seen for a long time. Boy was absolutely seething for about 20 minutes before getting hooked for his own safety.

I'm no that bad. And alright, maybe no the worst but i just felt the way they sat in and us struggling to break them down, didn't make for a particulary entertaining game. And off the top of my head, i couldn't think of a worse game i had seen. Mind you, down in this league, it will take winning ugly like we did today and watching games where teams come here to defend and make it hard for us to break them down.

3 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I'm no that bad. And alright, maybe no the worst but i just felt the way they sat in and us struggling to break them down, didn't make for a particulary entertaining game. And off the top of my head, i couldn't think of a worse game i had seen. Mind you, down in this league, it will take winning ugly like we did today and watching games where teams come here to defend and make it hard for us to break them down.

I can think of many poorer games than that off the top of my head, absolutely mental to have that view of today's game.

A fine day for the match and a good few hardy souls made the journey to Starks Park. 

Mixed emotions after the game today. Before kickoff I knew this was gonna be a tough match, but we got off to a good start and got our reward from a superb strike from a free kick just outside the box. Tails were up but RR kept plodding away and eventually got the equaliser after our defense got caught in possession. They played some good football in the middle of the park but struggled badly to break down a well drilled defensive set up. 

After being reduced to 10 men for what can only be described as a bad last ditch tackle the Rovers continued to play great football in the middle of the park. It was a treat to watch the skillful full timers struggle to make any further impact before the break.

Anyway.... the half time shambles of the stadium announcer trying to make the 50/50 draw with faulty equipment had both sets of fans amused.

Second half started with RR determined to score a barraload against the 10 men from Forfar. Although they played some good stuff it all seemed to fizzle out in the final third. However their fitness paid dividends in the 84 and 87 min when again due to individual errors we conceded 2 goals.

I did think with 10 to go we could have sneaked a point, if only for a dogged defense......the game lasts for 90 mins, so not to be.

Might have been a lot closer with 11 v 11. 

18 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Callachan the best player on the park again today. Him and Robertson dictated the game from start to finish, calm and collected probing of the deep Forfar midfield and defence, going side to side just wearing them down and eventually it paid. We as fans are going to need to be a bit more patient, especially at home. We're going to win a lot of games in the last 15 minutes and us not being on the team's back when it gets to that time can only help.

Shout out to number 7 for having the longest red mist I've seen for a long time. Boy was absolutely seething for about 20 minutes before getting hooked for his own safety.

This. I'm surprised 7 wasn't subbed sooner. Also, Simon Mensing had a bit of a 'mare, but the other center back cleared up a lot of the mistakes. 

13 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Happens to us all. I'm still adding on 5 yards distance to Gary Wales's strike against Peterhead back in 08/09. It's currently sitting on 30,015 yards out. 

As for the game itself, we need to get into the habit of being patient if a team takes a 1-0 lead. Teams will sit in if they take the lead but we've got a good group who can break them down. Vaughan's ball for the second was a peach. Especially considering he got slated for his corners before. So long as we keep getting results like this we'll be fine. We've got the experience and the fitness to cause every single team in this league problems.  

To the Forfar number 7.

You suck, Cox.

A fine day for the match and a good few hardy souls made the journey to Starks Park. 
Mixed emotions after the game today. Before kickoff I knew this was gonna be a tough match, but we got off to a good start and got our reward from a superb strike from a free kick just outside the box. Tails were up but RR kept plodding away and eventually got the equaliser after our defense got caught in possession. They played some good football in the middle of the park but struggled badly to break down a well drilled defensive set up. 
After being reduced to 10 men for what can only be described as a bad last ditch tackle the Rovers continued to play great football in the middle of the park. It was a treat to watch the skillful full timers struggle to make any further impact before the break.
Anyway.... the half time shambles of the stadium announcer trying to make the 50/50 draw with faulty equipment had both sets of fans amused.
Second half started with RR determined to score a barraload against the 10 men from Forfar. Although they played some good stuff it all seemed to fizzle out in the final third. However their fitness paid dividends in the 84 and 87 min when again due to individual errors we conceded 2 goals.
I did think with 10 to go we could have sneaked a point, if only for a dogged defense......the game lasts for 90 mins, so not to be.
Might have been a lot closer with 11 v 11. 

Unfortunately by the letter of the law your man had to go today. However I don't think it was a bad tackle in a malicious sense. Buchanan did well to turn him and I think he made a genuine attempt to get the ball but didn't quite make it.
Thought Brian had two decent saves before Forfar scored and 1-1 was probably fair at half time.
For all our possession in the 2nd half, we didn't work the goalkeeper hugely.
Forfar will hold their own comfortably in this league and will sting a few teams along the way, although their number 7 is a complete roaster. Had they not already been down to ten men I've no doubt he'd have walked for shoving the linesman.

Good result if not a great game to watch.  Free kick was brilliant and would have beaten any keeper.  Forfar were well organised and I thought Millar had a great game, seemed to be everywhere for them.  Mensing and the big French lad were really solid and had everything in the air covered. Shout out to the referee who I thought had a good game and got most things spot on and played some good advantages as well as not going card crazy so credit where it is due (I'm the first to criticise them) and Red card was defiantly correct tried to hook the ball missed and took the man.  

After 11 V 10 Forfar obviously tried to play for the draw with a rare counter every now and again.  Thought they did it well and frustrated our lads.  We played it right and kept moving the ball looking for space rather than just chucking it in for their defence to mop up.  Forfar keeper made some good stops too but eventually we found the space and got the goal after which things opened up.  Forfar will be disapointed not to have gone home with a point after holding out so long but we probably deserved the win in the end.  

Fantastic finish by Miller from the free kick, I thought we controlled the game and it was only a matter of time before we took the lead after getting the equaliser. Even though we controlled the game I thought our passing could have been faster and sharper and we also need to be more clinical when the chances present themselves.

Callachan gets a ridiculous amount of abuse from the stands. If he fails to find a teammate with a pass then there is a shitload of grumbling and abuse. Other players make the same mistake and there's not a peep. Thought he was great today in a stuffy match. Teams will be hard to break down this season especially at Starks Park so I'm glad the team's persistence paid off. The keeper had a few good saves. No chance with the Forfar free kick - a superb strike. 

I honestly am astounded that someone said that's the worst game they have ever seen at Starks. Obviously only started coming at the start of the season.

Looking forward to next Saturday already. 

On 8/19/2017 at 19:38, San Starko Rover said:

Good result if not a great game to watch.  Free kick was brilliant and would have beaten any keeper.  Forfar were well organised and I thought Millar had a great game, seemed to be everywhere for them.  Mensing and the big French lad were really solid and had everything in the air covered. Shout out to the referee who I thought had a good game and got most things spot on and played some good advantages as well as not going card crazy so credit where it is due (I'm the first to criticise them) and Red card was defiantly correct tried to hook the ball missed and took the man.  

After 11 V 10 Forfar obviously tried to play for the draw with a rare counter every now and again.  Thought they did it well and frustrated our lads.  We played it right and kept moving the ball looking for space rather than just chucking it in for their defence to mop up.  Forfar keeper made some good stops too but eventually we found the space and got the goal after which things opened up.  Forfar will be disapointed not to have gone home with a point after holding out so long but we probably deserved the win in the end.  

Be good to see if Lister was hauled down when also clean through....no free kick or a booking for him? Unfortunatley i had a big piller in front of me and was also trying to dodge the pigeon shit and general rubbish left lying around from the last game.....shambles of a place.

Archived