Dundee Utd v Brechin City

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

From Wiki:  Brechin Cathedral dates from the 13th century. As a congregation of the Church of Scotland, which is Presbyterian, the church is not technically a cathedral, in spite of its name.

It's a wee bit like DFC is not really a football club.

Who decides when a cathedral is not cathedral or is in fact a cathedral?

A theological debate might now be interesting, could be a hard ask as most here have no idea about fitba.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Tuesday's result hopefully most of the players got a massive kick in the arse and hopefully will come away with a battling performance today. If we're gonna stay 5 at the back for this game id like to see us start with

Smith
O Neil-thought he was our best player on Tuesday night
Dyer
Fusco
McLean
Crighton
Dale
Sinclair
Watt
Orsi
Jackson

Cmon City !

9 minutes ago, hedgeinthesouth said:

After Tuesday's result hopefully most of the players got a massive kick in the arse and hopefully will come away with a battling performance today. If we're gonna stay 5 at the back for this game id like to see us start with

Smith
O Neil-thought he was our best player on Tuesday night
Dyer
Fusco
McLean
Crighton
Dale
Sinclair
Watt
Orsi
Jackson

Cmon City !

No Fusco or McGeaver.

So;

Smith

O'Neil, McLean Crighton Dyer

Watt Dale Sinclair Graham

Jackson

Orsi

No Fusco or McGeaver.

So;

Smith

Jackson

Orsi

Haven't had a look at the match preview yet so didn't know that. I'd agree with that team you've put there but no doubt Dodds will keep 5 at the back putting spark in for fusco/mcGeever

Haven't had a look at the match preview yet so didn't know that. I'd agree with that team you've put there but no doubt Dodds will keep 5 at the back putting spark in for fusco/mcGeever
 ^^^ Citydiehard alias found.   

They could turn it into a Wetherspoons and it would still be a cathedral imo. Half of that chain are described as being 'inside churches/banks' despite not serving those purposes anymore. The DA is just jealous that Dunfermline only has an Abbey (and was never capital of Scotland as it never existed back then*, just Alba north of the Forth... minus the islands). That said, this forever makes the Pars our eternal ancient overlords. Damn.

*Good thread to choose as Granny Danger can answer any questions with his first-hand knowledge of the time.

No Fusco or McGeaver.
So;

Smith
                    Jackson
            Orsi

I'd go with that also although I'd have Lynas at right back every day of the week. I fear Dods will stick to 5 at the back and put Spark in.

More cathedral chat please.

I was down in Norwich a couple of weeks ago, trying to kill 10hrs on a Sunday. The castle only opened at 2pm which I found really annoying for a peak season weekend, but the free access to the grounds gave an excellent view over to both Carrow Road and the cathedral. It's no wonder that Norwich Union / Aviva use it's very distinctive spire on their logo as it truly is a piece of (Norman?) architectural beauty, well worth celebrating.

Elgin on the other hand, where I was just last week, has let it's cathedral down somewhat. No spire, windows or even roof, yet Historic Scotland want to charge you to visit, with absolutely no intention on restoring it to it's (what must have been) former beauty. It still looks nice though, but largely because of the yellow sandstone it's been built with.

Have any P&Bers maintained, renovated or let a cathedral fail into disrepair lately?

3 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

A theological debate might now be interesting, could be a hard ask as most here have no idea about fitba.

Wikipedia's word is gospel...

As for a theological debate here's my contribution; anyone who adheres to organised religion is clinically insane.

The popular doom metal band Cathedral formed from members of Napalm Death and Carcass. I've never herd their music but it sounds like it'd be pretty uplifting stuff. Maybe they'll play some at half time in honour of our guests.

I predict an uninspiring 2-0 home win, with the starting lineup possibly the most interesting thing about the game.

Officially the head of the diocese of Brechin is St Paul's cathedral in Dundee which must be a bitter blow to today's guests.

With Brechin likely to be on the back foot with this news I would like us to go balls oot 3 up top today and try and give NKoyi a chance to kick on from the other night.

FWIW, Cathedral City is my supermarket special offer cheese of choice. They should get it in case I want a cheeseburger at the game. A whole 2hrs 45 mins to go until HT, no excuses.

Either mature or extra mature btw. Should go without saying.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Officially the head of the diocese of Brechin is St Paul's cathedral in Dundee which must be a bitter blow to today's guests.

With Brechin likely to be on the back foot with this news I would like us to go balls oot 3 up top today and try and give NKoyi a chance to kick on from the other night.

Who is my gaffer oddly enough.

Nice chap Jeremy is,  for a priest.

5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I shan't be concerned by facing Angus' fourth best team. Over in half an hour.

If you accept that historically Dundee was in Angus it would surely be:

United, Forfar, Arbroath, Montrose, Brechin, Dundee - so fifth not fourth.

Archived