Dundee Utd v Brechin City

Really, really, really, really poor. 

Totally flat, no movement, no urgency and players like Keatings and Stanton having a nightmare. Hopefully this is a rare occurrence but we were very lucky to get all 3 points this afternoon. All credit to Brechin who played well enough that many wouldn't have begrudged them a result.

Only the goalkeeper, back four and Fyvie (in the first half) get pass marks from me.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gm_1982 said:

Brechin deserved a point. Great battling performance.

Hard to disagree with that.  We were terrible, no pace and no inventiveness.  Keatings was dire and Stanton not nearly as effective, King and Fraser drifting in and out of the game and McDonald poor despite the goal.  Both the subbies made a difference and N'Koyi at least offered something.  Thought Murdoch was OK and Fyvie was our best player.

It's a strange feeling getting three points and feeling deflated but that was the impact of that performance, we will need to do much better next week - thankfully we will have McMullan back.

The only positive that can be taken from that absolute shit-fest of a game was we have 3 points. Poor games like that last season against the lower teams in the league saw us drop points and at the end of the day the result is the most important thing. 

Can t believe we ve left with nothing for our efforts today.. I don t think we had a failure today . No idea how ball nvr crossed line when we hit the post it spun then stopped dead . 

For us Orsi is gettin better every game , Jacko was immense no shame in being subbed .Lynas Pabs n Crichton put their bodies on the line Dyer was his usual steady self ..Sparky n Sinclair worked hard as did wee Finn n Dale .. We tired around 75 mins i felt .But that was after havin a real go I don think anyone can say we were anti football ... Well done lads you ve set yourself a standard now .

Huffed and puffed all game apart from when N'koyi came on. Think the attitude was all wrong- not enough respect and work rate in that team today . Too many players waiting for the ball to be delivered to them on a plate. Good leadership from Fyvie though. There's definitely quality in the team over and above what we had last year but work rate of the ball needs to improve.

Props to Brechin - worked their socks off today.

Excellent ecclesiastical chat on the thread lads, I approve

Didn't go but I'm getting the impression here that United maybe played poorer today due to the efforts of Brechin?

Give them credit and hope that Ray works out how to play against teams that were set up like the Hedge were?

Target man needed from the description that Mistergrolsch has said.

United will need a different option for up front it would appear.

McKinnon said on Thursday that the squad is finished for the time being (until January probably). Hopefully N'Koyi can at least provide something a little different. Maybe if McMullan was available we would have been able to stretch the game properly.

Didn't go but I'm getting the impression here that United maybe played poorer today due to the efforts of Brechin?

We were rather good at getting stuck in and not giving them the time on the ball they were perhaps expecting. United had the vast majority of possession but didn't have many solutions in the middle of the pitch, hence they were forced out wide much of the time, but they were absolutely appalling at crossing it from there. On my count there were 4 chances in the box where I'd be rather disappointed had Brechin not taken them (particularly headers) and 5 times a basic pass went out the park under no pressure at all. The latter is completely unacceptable for this level, so I can understand the frustration from what was a very, very quiet home crowd. HT came at a rather good time for United who seemed genuinely rattled by us for the last 10 mins of the first half. They were all over the place any time we got possession.

19 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Give them credit and hope that Ray works out how to play against teams that were set up like the Hedge were?

Target man needed from the description that Mistergrolsch has said.

United will need a different option for up front it would appear.

To be honest i don t think we sat back today .We actually tried to have a bit of a go .. 

I was impressed with Brechins off the ball work. Don't think United showed them enough respect similar to Hibs against Hamilton today. Every time United had the ball in the final third there was 2 or 3 Brechin players around them. 

I think McMullen coming back next week will make all the odds as Fraser isn't a winger. I would swap Keatings for N'koyi as well. 

Dont think Brechin are as bad as people are making out as they done well last week. If they keep pressing teams like they do as they'll take points off a lot of teams. 

Brechin certainly didn't sit in the same way we've seen other teams camp on the edge of their box. They basically went man for man across the final third which meant they were always close to a man and we couldn't really deal with it. I can't blame McKinnon for the performances of the majority of our players but I do think he should have gambled earlier with N'Koyi and possibly Chalmers. If Fraser didn't go down injured then I don't know when he would have changed it.

Archived