Livingston v St Mirren SPFL Championship 19/8/17

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I'd see McShane out the team. He's clearly quite good at what he does but what he does is exactly what McGinn does only he's not doing it as well as McGinn.

If he does stay in the team, for the love of god, get him off set pieces. They're utterly shite.

He can act as a very able deputy to McGinn butnot as a midfield partner. I'd be inclined to give Kirkpartrick a shot in there at a more advanced role until Kyle Magennis is back.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If he does stay in the team, for the love of god, get him off set pieces. They're utterly shite.

He can act as a very able deputy to McGinn butnot as a midfield partner. I'd be inclined to give Kirkpartrick a shot in there at a more advanced role until Kyle Magennis is back.

This. Why the f**k McShane is wasting every corner and free kick is beyond me. Every corner is deep or too short. 

Kirkpatrick seems to be suffering from an awful game at Firhill but who didn't have a rubbish game there? 

17 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I think the loss of Magennis as well is a major reason our midfield is showing such a lack of creativity.

It was sad to see Mallan go, but I thought having Magennis play in central midfield (his preferred position I believe) would compensate for Mallan's going.

Magennis getting injured in a 'friendly' with a hammer throwing Dundee team could prove to be very costly indeed.

If we can get a midfield of Morgan, Magennis, McGinn and Smith I think it'll turn our performances around.

Magennis would be a massive help. I think the problem we are having is that where Mallan would get the ball in a tight position and play something forward to Morgan / Smith / Loy we now check back and fanny about with it. We've lost that cutting edge we had from end of last year. 

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Anybody know if there was any truth in the McAllister loan rumours? With the best will in the world, he's not getting near the Derby first team this season. 

No truth at the moment. No more coming in until somebody else leaves.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Personally, I'd see McShane out the team. He's clearly quite good at what he does but what he does is exactly what McGinn does only he's not doing it as well as McGinn.

Sounds like "Lovejoy" is proving to be a marmite player for Saints fans as he was with QoS fans. Quite a lot thought he was a big loss when he left for Ross County and would gladly have taken him back, others were less than keen at the prospect of his return, me included. There was no doubting his workrate when he was here but he sometimes looked like he was chasing shadows. Also as you say, his set pieces were bloody frustrating but he seemed to be the delegated player to take them all. Having said all this Sods Law says he will put in a MoM performance when Saints and Queens meet.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If you're a professional player and you decide set pieces are going to be your USP, then it's beyond me how you fail to practise for an extra hour every day until you're utterly shit-hot at them.

This. It is not that hard to be able to hit a corner into the box repeatedly well. 

41 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Sounds like "Lovejoy" is proving to be a marmite player for Saints fans as he was with QoS fans. Quite a lot thought he was a big loss when he left for Ross County and would gladly have taken him back, others were less than keen at the prospect of his return, me included. There was no doubting his workrate when he was here but he sometimes looked like he was chasing shadows. Also as you say, his set pieces were bloody frustrating but he seemed to be the delegated player to take them all. Having said all this Sods Law says he will put in a MoM performance when Saints and Queens meet.

He's not a poor player. Quite the opposite, the issue is that he likes to sit in the space between the defence and midfield, break things up, look tidy in possession and move the ball on. We already have Stephen McGinn who does that and is better at it and he and McShane appear to just get in each other's road. 

If McGinn is out, I'm more than happy to see McShane in as I'm confident in his ability. Then playing together though is stifling us a lot. 

Livingston defend in numbers and do it well, that's something we've struggled to break down so far this season, also, we're too nice, which needs to be addressed. Hopefully we won't sell an early goal the way we did in the League Cup, that gave them the opportunity to sit on their lead for 80 mins, we couldn't find a way through. McShane and McGinn together could work, but, for me, it would need to be as the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 maybe with Morgan - Kirkpartick - Smith ahead of them. When there's 4 across the middle, they do step on each others toes a bit. Tough one to call, we've been so wildly inconsistent this season. 

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

If you're a professional player and you decide set pieces are going to be your USP, then it's beyond me how you fail to practise for an extra hour every day until you're utterly shit-hot at them.

You'd think they would yep, but the amount of times a player taking a corner can't get the ball past the first man is unreal, or hitting a floaty ball in from a free kick that is easy for the keeper to take.

14 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You'd think they would yep, but the amount of times a player taking a corner can't get the ball past the first man is unreal, or hitting a floaty ball in from a free kick that is easy for the keeper to take.

It's been well written that David Beckham had limited actual talent, but put in a fucktonne of practice (he also had an unusually flexible ankle that let him get lower on his planted foot). I'm not saying every player should be able to cross like him, but it proves it can be learned. 

22 hours ago, Saint Garf said:

Livingston defend in numbers and do it well, that's something we've struggled to break down so far this season, also, we're too nice, which needs to be addressed. Hopefully we won't sell an early goal the way we did in the League Cup, that gave them the opportunity to sit on their lead for 80 mins, we couldn't find a way through. McShane and McGinn together could work, but, for me, it would need to be as the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 maybe with Morgan - Kirkpartick - Smith ahead of them. When there's 4 across the middle, they do step on each others toes a bit. Tough one to call, we've been so wildly inconsistent this season. 

Inconsistent? For me Ross was using the group stages like a preseason. We have won one league game and lost one two league games played. Your assessment on Livingston is correct a style we are not good playing against , East Kilbride / Dumbarton ? Wrote above I expect a draw  or to lose the game though will be there with my heart. 

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We've been consistent, 2 games two draws, after scoring first in both of them too. Could do with defending a lead the same way we do in these cup games and winning a league game.

Actually we drew against Falkirk in the cup after ninety minutes having scored first if you want to be pedantic.

Hard work has been the key for Livi this season so far, if the midfield keep busy and chase down everything, then we are set for more success this season.

Loving the team spirit and will to win, it's infectious !

Cmon Livi, intae them :thumsup2

Archived