Livingston v St Mirren SPFL Championship 19/8/17

It's all good having a good team with a solid system that's works but it's no good if you don't have depth. We shouldn't fall apart when one player gets injured forcing Longridge to play CB when he clearly can't play there. That and a lack of a goalscorer could really cost us in a lot of matches this season.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

That's a strange impression to have made after losing 3-1 at home to a team who had 10 men for the majority of the game. Declan Gallagher is the guy you're talking about. I'd rate him as our best player. 

Longridge is a decent player but should not be playing centre half. His anticipation was way off for second and third goals. Does anyone know what's up with Lithgow? 

Fair play to St Mirren. Took a clinical performance to end our wee run, especially with a man down. Onto the next. 

Livingston were in control for long spells due to us being down to 10. Of course I was over the moon with the score and the way we went about securing the points. However does not stop me assessing your team which impressed me ,  I'm sure you have heard football is a funny old game that comment fits your performance yesterday. Gallagher will have a good career in the game. 

36 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

It's all good having a good team with a solid system that's works but it's no good if you don't have depth. We shouldn't fall apart when one player gets injured forcing Longridge to play CB when he clearly can't play there. That and a lack of a goalscorer could really cost us in a lot of matches this season.

Its all part of smaller clubs budgets I include St Mirren in that. We have three key players out injured just now from defence and midfield our defence was makeshift yesterday to me they did well. Jack Ross is a very good manager im really pleased with the squad he has put together when we get to full streanth would think will be a force to be reckoned with. Your right about your own team an out and out striker is all that is missing. 

I actually thought Gallagher had a poor game yesterday, verging on a shocker. Got caught out at both goals in the second half and was slower than a week in the jail (pun intended) going forward.

20 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Its all part of smaller clubs budgets I include St Mirren in that. We have three key players out injured just now from defence and midfield our defence was makeshift yesterday to me they did well. Jack Ross is a very good manager im really pleased with the squad he has put together when we get to full streanth would think will be a force to be reckoned with. Your right about your own team an out and out striker is all that is missing. 

I take what you're say and having players out through injury is going to be a problem for most teams in Scotland; this is something we have to get used to if we want to support our local team. 

What actually got me about yesterday wasn't the number of player we were missing; or those that were under performing. What really stuck me was the fact that we seemed to forget everything we'd learnt over the previous eight months.

That's not taking anything away from St Mirren; its always a great feeling if you team manages to win when being down to ten men; but being down to ten for an hour and still to score two goals is exceptional.

13 minutes ago, Afro said:

I actually thought Gallagher had a poor game yesterday, verging on a shocker. Got caught out at both goals in the second half and was slower than a week in the jail (pun intended) going forward.

I'd actually disagree; it wasn't a great performance by his standards but I thought he was one of the better player in the second half.

Well that was frustrating, couldn't see us losing at HT when we were playing against 10 men and controlling the game, but we inadvertently gave them the perfect way to play against us. Sitting back with everyone behind the ball and hitting us on the counter, we couldn't break them down and were terrible at defending set pieces. Our own set pieces were equally abysmal, they did to us what we did to them in the Betfred game, and we could've played all night and not got a 2nd goal to put pressure on them.

Ach well one to put behind us, we didn't play terribly bad but we need to defend set pieces a hell of a lot better. And could do with practicing our own deliveries too.

Small consolation is Brechin, Falkirk and Dumbarton lost too, and ICT drew, so we at least stayed above 3 of them and level with Dumbarton still.

Still early in the season but a great result for us. Think livi could be a surprise package this year

I still can't believe we won that yesterday. At 1-1 and following the red card I felt there would only be one winner. I would've snapped your hand off for a point at half time, fully expecting Livi to capitalise on their possession and personnel advantage. 

The players showed incredible drive and workrate to get the win - prime example being Lewis Morgan's lung-bursting run of circa 70 yards to halt a Livingston counter attack from our corner.

Irvine's red card looked like a sending off in real time (albeit from the other side of the pitch) and it looks like even more of a stick-on after seeing the highlights. 

Delighted for Reilly adding another two goals to his tally, particularly the second where I thought the ball had just escaped him. Superb technique to hook the ball on target. Ian McShane on the other hand adds very little to the proceedings. When Magennis is back fit that substitution of player will be one of Jack's easiest managerial decisions to date.

I felt Livingston were the only side to actually get the ball down and try to play football, but as the deficit widened and the game wore on you felt the tactic became more and more naive. I think Livingston will be fine this season so long as they are a bit more ruthless in the final third.

All in all, fairly happy at six points from the opening nine. Well I say happy, the fact Morton are responsible for the other three points going missing is still utterly galling.

Are the "Drum Beat Mafia" still a thing btw? 

24 minutes ago, Paul Cicero said:

Declan gallagher and josh mullin are 2 players I would take.

Dec's on a 2 year deal, think Mullin is the same. Gallagher was looking to go down south for a fresh start but decided to repay our loyalty to him by signing a longer deal

Thought we were in for it at half time, couldn't see us taking anything from the game, but I was hugely impressed with the character we showed in the 2nd half. Even with us down to 10 men, the game looked to be over at 2-1, the third goal killed it stone dead. Livi put the work in, but maybe just wasn't their day and we saw the game out without too many scares.

Reilly continues to impress, 2 good finishes for different reasons, the first one looks like it's laid on a plate, but he actually still has some work to do, sometimes it's actually harder when you have some time to think about it. He chose well and placed it nicely with his left foot. 3rd goal is excellent all round, freekick looked to be straight from the training ground. Great delivery from McShane, Stelios does brilliantly at the back post and Reilly reads it very well and smashes it with his right into the top corner not an easy finish by any stretch of the imagination. I'm encouraged, not just be the number of goals he's scored so far, but also the variety. Think he also put to bed any worries that he can't play up front on his own. I do like the look of him and Sutton together, but he proved today, with the proper support, he can play as a lone striker.

Credit to Jack and James. Had to throw together a team with the players we had available. They came up with something that worked well initially, made the necessary tweaks after Irvine's red and got us a deserved win. Also worthy of mention is them finding a way to still make us dangerous from set pieces without Gary MacKenzie.

21 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Was just wondering take it your down south. Our tactics were good when we went down to 10 men nevertheless was a bit nervous a few times till we got the second goal.

South Shields. Too far/expensive to get to many games, and I've got a young son so time's at a premium. I watch all the matches I can via SMTV/VPN, though.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:12, Ayia Napa Daz said:

Livi won't be a surprise package, they'll do well to finish 8th.

Settle, last week you were full of praise for Hopkin and how well we were doing, now after our first defeat in 18 games you're coming out with cup results papering over the cracks and we'll do well to finish 8th, talk about knee jerk reaction to a defeat.

Bad defending for the set pieces but we didn't play badly, we didn't work out how to play against 10 men when we had to break them down and the onus was on us to do so, that wont happen too often in this division though as most games it is us who will be underdogs and we'll get the space to get at opposition teams goal when they are doing the attacking.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:48, hoobahabba said:

That's a strange impression to have made after losing 3-1 at home to a team who had 10 men for the majority of the game. Declan Gallagher is the guy you're talking about. I'd rate him as our best player. 

Longridge is a decent player but should not be playing centre half. His anticipation was way off for second and third goals. Does anyone know what's up with Lithgow? 

Fair play to St Mirren. Took a clinical performance to end our wee run, especially with a man down. Onto the next. 

Longridge did ok against Morton when it was Halkett, Lithgow and him at the back, but clearly didn't work well in the 2nd half against St Mirren. Would be better playing Toddy there if Lithgow isn't back for our next game. He went off injured against Morton and Todorov dropped back to cover for him, hopefully isn't anything serious and he'll just miss the one game.

Archived