Livingston v St Mirren SPFL Championship 19/8/17

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

No.3 for Livingston was simply terrible. He gave up even bothering to attempt to tackle Morgan half way through the second half. The centre half on the other side wasn't much cop either.

Don't think you'll find many to argue with you there - he seemed t o completely lose the plot although Byrne's lack or urgency jogging back to defend didn't help out the situation. 

If we weren't so short of defenders already he should appear on the starting lineup again.

14 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It's hard to defend a match official who doesn't understand the rules that he's supposed to be implimenting. For Craig Thompson see Willie Collum .

Still :bairnuncontrollably from last Saturday...:bounce3:bounce3:bounce3:bounce3

30 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Regardless of whether it is a correct decision or not managers are expected to accept it and move on, if there is an issue then the complaint should be made afterwards through the correct channels.

Aside from it's totally illogical ranting and raving at the ref as he is never, ever going to just say "fair play, you're right, i'll just reverse the decision."

I agree with the first part, and that's why I'm wondering if he'd win an appeal.

On the second part though, the ref was just plain wrong.  It's not a case of judgment, it's not a subjective descision.

He clearly just forgot the rule, but what's worse about it is that even if he was right to send Ross off for dissent, he continued with his incorrect decision after his mistake had been brought to his attention.

Why would he do that? First division for him next week.

10 minutes ago, Durnford said:

But right or wrong Carrick; had the leave the field even though the St Mirren player had been sent off.

One might argue that he was merely being even handed.

One things for certain; if you end up having a go at a referee it isn't going to end well

Are you sure? I didn't think he did.

6 minutes ago, printer said:

Imagine being thick enough to actually post this.

To be fair, what else would you call a referee who not only forgot the rules, but when his mistake was pointed out to him, then decides to stick with the rules from 2015.

Well that was frustrating, couldn't see us losing at HT when we were playing against 10 men and controlling the game, but we inadvertently gave them the perfect way to play against us. Sitting back with everyone behind the ball and hitting us on the counter, we couldn't break them down and were terrible at defending set pieces. Our own set pieces were equally abysmal, they did to us what we did to them in the Betfred game, and we could've played all night and not got a 2nd goal to put pressure on them.

Ach well one to put behind us, we didn't play terribly bad but we need to defend set pieces a hell of a lot better. And could do with practicing our own deliveries too.

Small consolation is Brechin, Falkirk and Dumbarton lost too, and ICT drew, so we at least stayed above 3 of them and level with Dumbarton still.

11 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I agree with the first part, and that's why I'm wondering if he'd win an appeal.

On the second part though, the ref was just plain wrong.  It's not a case of judgment, it's not a subjective descision.

He clearly just forgot the rule, but what's worse about it is that even if he was right to send Ross off for dissent, he continued with his incorrect decision after his mistake had been brought to his attention.

Why would he do that? First division for him next week.

Refereeing in an imaginary league is a bit far imo.

8 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Are you sure? I didn't think he did.

I thought it was really odd because as others have been saying if the offending player is cautioned then you shouldn't need to leave the field after treatment.

Excellent performance second half from St Mirren and deservedly went home with the three points. Hugely frustrating from Livi but after 17 unbeaten games it's hard to be too critical.

I know it will be deemed to be 'professional' and I'm quite sure Livi players would do it too but Stelios really pissed me off in that incident that saw Ross sent to the stand (totally correct on his grievance but dissent is always going to end with the ref winning). It was a foul by Mullen and just about merited the yellow he got but Stelios was 100% play acting to waste time - he was holding his leg in the wrong place for starters, then hobbled about as if struggling to walk only to Lazerous-like sprint to the halfway line to remonstrate with the Lino about a Thompson's mistake! I know we'll have players who would do this but I hate this blatant cheating in the game and would be equally pissed off if one of ours did it.

Really impressed with Morgan and Reilly for Saints today and with how they performed with 10. We just couldn't break them down and looked far more likely to score when it was 11 v. 11.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Both of Reilly's goals were excellent finishes, the second one especially. 

That's three league games and three league goals now.

Makes it even sweeter given those queuing up to tell us what a dud he was!

Remember when Gavin played for us, Gretna 2008 aged 16.

Ok it was only the EOSL but I new he was a bit special. 

Thought at the time a possible future international. 

Deserved win for Saints in the end. I certainly know how punishing this league can be, and we were on the wrong end of it today. Saints first goal was a bit of a freak one, only complaint would be that we were slightly hesitant to close down the boy before he got his shot away. Good header from Halkett for the equaliser and after that I thought we were the better team in the first half. Red card incident was right in front of me, and whilst I'm unsure of the degree of contact Irvine made the recklessness with which he went in after Mullen mugged him off was perhaps what got him sent off. Ironically, it was maybe the only thing Thompson got right all afternoon, stinking for both teams I thought. The incident with Ross just summed it up. :lol:

Second half you could see we weren't scoring, even before St Mirren took the lead. Two basic goals to give away, near enough identical, which is immensely disappointing. After that St Mirren saw it out fairly comfortably save for Todorov hitting the crossbar, and did look more menacing in attack, particularly with Jackson Longridge forgetting how to even run at times.

The problem for teams like us is that when everyone is on it, we're a far more capable side than the sum of our parts suggest; when a couple of players are passengers though, days like today happen. I never actually thought I'd say this, but we missed Alan Lithgow today: for all his flaws, he, Halkett and Gallagher are undoubtedly a very settled trio and bringing in Longridge at centre half was always a very risky move. We are crying out for cover there, if we don't bring in someone I fear it may be a long season if one of the three CBs pick up a knock. I also really don't fancy playing Todorov there, either. Also thought De Vita was a non-entity for the most part, and Byrne had his worst game for us by a mile. Thomson's driving forward in the second half was impressive but he always seemed to be wanting an extra touch or yard of space, and expectedly, didn't have much of a rapport with those around him. Too early to write him off yet though, the promising signs are there and I'd expect him to come good once he gets settled.

If we can get another centre half in as cover, I think we should have just about enough to stay up. By all accounts, Penrice looks to be a quality option on the left, so having him there and Mullin on the right should help the defence somewhat. Scoring goals is obviously a whole other matter but as it is, we're stuck with what we've got.

Still early doors yet but St Mirren's attitude and desire to win the match, even with 10 men, should be encouraging for their fans. Can't say for since I've not seen everyone else yet but I imagine they'll be in the top 4, or thereabouts.

Good to see Reilly 3x last season's league tally already. Yes he was awful for us, no escaping that, but I always felt that it was because he just didn't fit our style of play. He looked a bit lost. Good on him if he's in a team that suits him. 

Archived