Livingston v St Mirren SPFL Championship 19/8/17

Just now, andylivi1 said:

Poor today, very well deserved win for the Saints. 

2nd half we went about it all wrong, didnt get the ball to the byline and we played far too slow through the midfield. 

As I said before a ball was kicked give me 8th, we will be punished for performances below par and so far we have been. 

Agree - for a team to play with 10 men for an hour and not even breathing hard at the end takes some doing.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Livi were definitely missing their sex offender at the back IMO.

Is it right that Livi have more convicted criminals in their team than the rest of Scottish football?

1 minute ago, Durnford said:

It was right in front of me and he went in with studs showing off the ground. Appeared to connected with Carrick just above the foot

There is no doubt it was a straight red 

Not so sure.

'Studs off the ground' Is absolutely not a rule, if it was, then every slide tackle in football would be a red. As long as the player is in control of the tackle and not reckless then it's not serious foul play.

Looking at these two pics though, Irvine hasn't gone in two-footed, he's grounded so doesn't appear to not be in control.

Now I'm not saying it's not a red, I'll need to see it in full speed but several Saints players and fans argued the piece and these pictures seem to justify that.

19-08-17-ladbrokes-premiership-st-mirren-13781164.jpg.a86b64c3ce7ba8d59f156a83f68b5bfc.jpg

19-08-17-ladbrokes-premiership-st-mirren-13781166.jpg.e8c43a646832c37bd535f203488b4fc4.jpg

You get good weeks, you get bad weeks. This was for sure one of the bad weeks but we have to roll with it and learn from it. All credit to St Mirren who dug in and looked like they had 12 on the park after going down to 10.

Irvine's tackle was for sure a straight red, straight leg, lunging in studs up. Pretty poor from him but we've got a habit over the last few years of choking against 10 men.

Big point for us is Longridge at CB. It cost us two goals after the red, he gets caught out too many times and we need a CB signed up asap. Drop Longridge for the next game and give Penrice a shot.

Felt like we had nothing in the middle of the park either with Byrne anonymous and Pittman struggling. Thomson in the middle wasn't anything to shout about, gave away the first goal by messing up from the throw but did well later on in the game taking the ball forward and actually driving on.

Starting to get worried Carrick won't cut it at this level, neither will Mackin, or Peters, or any other forward that isn't Danny. Even today Danny was useless kept dropping in too deep and couldn't get anything going.

Hard work needed mid week in training but we need two more signings definitely, a proper CB with experience (Jesus Garcia Tena) and a forward that can finish, not someone to run around mad but someone who can get the ball in the net re: Andy Ryan, Buchanan type player. We've had the funds come in from the cups now's the time to see some of that put to use, the loan signings coming in are all fine and well, they give us depth but we've left the problem areas unattended completely.

*EDIT* Ross was completely right to have a go at the ref, Danny was booked for the tackle so the injured player shouldn't have to leave the field and Ross was saying that to the ref. Only thing that Ross did wrong was step onto the pitch

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not so sure.

'Studs off the ground' Is absolutely not a rule, if it was, then every slide tackle in football would be a red. As long as the player is in control of the tackle and not reckless then it's not serious foul play.

Looking at these two pics though, Irvine hasn't gone in two-footed, he's grounded so doesn't appear to not be in control.

Now I'm not saying it's not a red, I'll need to see it in full speed but several Saints players and fans argued the piece and these pictures seem to justify that.

At full speed he went in off the ground with studs showing an connected with the player.

Whether he can be considered to be in control or not; well I'd have to have another look at it but it would be useful to see a few frames before rather than after contact.

Just now, Durnford said:

At full speed he went in off the ground with studs showing an connected with the player.

Whether he can be considered to be in control or not; well I'd have to have another look at it but it would be useful to see a few frames before rather than after contact.

You can see in the first picture that Carrick's controlled the ball and taken it away from Irvine, it's Irvine following through with studs up that's got him the red

I wonder if Ross is able to appeal his red card?

Just because Craig Thomson seemed to have forgotten the rules of football, I think players and staff are still supposed to keep quiet.

Basically would a red card for protesting a decision that is unequivocally wrong be waived?

I'm not so sure it would, but would hate to see Ross pick up a ban for something like that.

Just now, Bobby_F said:

Just because Craig Thomson seemed to have forgotten the rules of football, I think players and staff are still supposed to keep quiet.

Basically would a red card for protesting a decision that is unequivocally wrong be waived?

I'm not so sure it would, but would hate to see Ross pick up a ban for something like that.

He should have no case to answer. If Stelios was treated by the physio following the foul and the opposition player who committed the offence booked, Thomson should not have ordered Stelios off the park to re-enter play, no grey areas here.

Ref was wrong and Jack Ross was right. He was well within his rights to go apeshit, it's flagrantly not knowing the rules from an official who is apparently one of our top two.

3 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Regardless of whether it is a correct decision or not managers are expected to accept it and move on, if there is an issue then the complaint should be made afterwards through the correct channels.

Aside from it's totally illogical ranting and raving at the ref as he is never, ever going to just say "fair play, you're right, i'll just reverse the decision."

2 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Regardless of whether it is a correct decision or not managers are expected to accept it and move on, if there is an issue then the complaint should be made afterwards through the correct channels.

Aside from it's totally illogical ranting and raving at the ref as he is never, ever going to just say "fair play, you're right, i'll just reverse the decision."

I'll crack the jokes round here.

It's hard to defend a match official who doesn't understand the rules that he's supposed to be implimenting. For Craig Thompson see Willie Collum two utterly incompetent match officials.

Both of them should  banished to the depths of league 2.

Anyway back to the game, what a cracking result with only ten men.

Reilly continues to make an arse of all the Fife mutants who are all over our match threads telling us how shit he is. Glorious.:lol:

16 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

:lol:

Seeing those pics I think it might be a red given the ridiculous change in laws of the game. Tackling is just becoming a farce now. However, if Thompson is up to speed on those laws he should also be knowledgeable about the rules when a player receives treatment. Clueless buffoon.

Buchanan was probably stand out player today. Didn't put a foot wrong and set up the second. Morgan, Smith and Reilly all had decent games too despite not seeing much of the ball.

No.3 for Livingston was simply terrible. He gave up even bothering to attempt to tackle Morgan half way through the second half. The centre half on the other side wasn't much cop either.

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He should have no case to answer. If Stelios was treated by the physio following the foul and the opposition player who committed the offence booked, Thomson should not have ordered Stelios off the park to re-enter play, no grey areas here.

Ref was wrong and Jack Ross was right. He was well within his rights to go apeshit, it's flagrantly not knowing the rules from an official who is apparently one of our top two.

But right or wrong Carrick; had the leave the field even though the St Mirren player had been sent off.

One might argue that he was merely being even handed.

One things for certain; if you end up having a go at a referee it isn't going to end well

Archived